Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-26-2018, 02:18 PM   #121
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynton View Post
Do you mean design flaw?
yes indeed i did/do thanks for pointing the flaw/mistake out i have edited it accordingly.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 02:46 AM   #122
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
I have been told by kobo (fb chat) that if anyone buys a Clara HD from their website, and it has the light bleeding issue, they will be able to return it for a replacement. Also, as mentioned before, that they are "working on" the problem.
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2018, 12:08 PM   #123
i_m_sherlocked
i_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanei_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanei_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanei_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanei_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanei_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanei_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanei_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanei_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanei_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanei_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kobo Clara HD, ASUS Transformer Book T100TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
personally i'd wait until they made a device that didn't have such a common design fllaw/fault before i parted with my hard earned cash.

but perhaps that's just me.

best wishes koboy
living an imperfect life is better than not living at all...
i_m_sherlocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 02:37 PM   #124
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_m_sherlocked View Post
living an imperfect life is better than not living at all...
why buy a newer ereader when you believe the one you already have is much better

in life never waste time or money. although perhaps i was just guilty of the first

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:47 AM   #125
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
I discovered another way to get rid of the light bleed.

There was no need for the tape. All I did was touch up the side of the screen (not the surface but the little indentation on the side) with black marker where the bleeds were. The effect was immediate.

However "WARNING" it did make the screen DARKER specially when I first run the marker up and down the edge. Later I did remove most of it with alcohol. So I found out even trace amount of black gets rid of the leaks. This attached picture shows after I cleaned up the sides with alcohol which lighten up the screen.

It is still darker then original.

Please do not attempt this unless you can afford to brake your brand new e-reader. Be very careful. And I say again the screen gets DARKER and no amount of cleaning restores the original brightness.
Quote:
Just to follow up.

Here is the final result after reassembling. Picture taken in complete darkness.

PS. My camera shows the picture darker. It is a lot whiter when I look at it.
Quote:
I did not like the added thickness however minor to the height of the bezel.
Forevermore there appeared a tiny gap on the bottom side of the bezel because I only applied the tape to the sides.

After cleaning the edges with alcohol I am quite happy with the result.

I actually went to Chapters this morning and compared my unit with their demo. Granted they have bright lights but I did not notice any difference in screen brightness. I am thinking the lack of leak spots (I had 5 bright spots) gave me the illusion of darker screen.

I was able to read comfortably in complete dark with both settings at 30% and in outdoors with 50% light the screen looks like paper.

Again it is easy to mess up the device so like I said unless one can afford to brake and lose warranty, shouldn't do it.
Quote:
Just to be more precise about the my post #615 the marker was applied to the
tiny indentation between the glass and the material under it (red arrow).

The black strings you see on the surface (actually under) the glass are from factory.
Atilla! You are my hero *again*!! My Clara's light bleed was annoying me more and more, and I too didn't like the idea of any extra thickness between the screen and the bezel (blackout or electrical tape), so I applied your black marker solution. OH MY! Now my Clara's screen is perfect. Thank you!

I haven't noticed any general darker lighting (yet), but if I do (when I read this evening when it's darker), I'd consider that an extra win!

Two before pics & two after pics attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4307.JPG
Views:	469
Size:	599.7 KB
ID:	167076   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4309.JPG
Views:	458
Size:	502.0 KB
ID:	167077   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4310.JPG
Views:	444
Size:	635.8 KB
ID:	167078   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4311.JPG
Views:	439
Size:	523.3 KB
ID:	167079  
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2019, 05:02 AM   #126
leokennis
leokennis began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Don’t know if it’s worth resurrecting this thread for it, but I bought a Clara HD and it too had a light leak. In my case about 4 cm long from the bottom right.

I struggled to apply the big length of tape neatly along both edges (every time I’d see some tape after I reassembled) so I only applied tape where the actual light leak was (so 4 cm). This completely fixed the issue too.
leokennis is offline   Reply With Quote