Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-21-2016, 04:24 PM   #1
yacoob
Zealot
yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.

Device: none
300ppi reader with some kind of sync?

My Kobo Aura HD just died, and my previous thread didn't gather any answer, so I thought that I'll loosen the requirements.

What reader with 300ppi screen would you recommend as Aura HD replacement? I'd love to have some sort of sync between that eink reader and an Android device.

Right now I'm eyeballing:

- Onyxboox C67ML Carta2: has android so I can probably cook something up (aldiko, fbreader?), too bad about the screen not being flushed
- Tolino Vision 3 HD: has own "cloud" sync (although it seem to require account with a German/Austrian/Swiss bookstore), seems to have problems with zooming in on images, looks nice otherwise
- Kobo Aura One: really high quality build, but no sync whatsoever, and unlikely to happen. Also, 8" might be bit on the big side.

There's also Onyxboox Kepler Pro, which seems to have a lot of good stuff (nice screen, Android), but I just can't find a store in EU that sells it.

Any other devices worth looking at?
yacoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 06:49 PM   #2
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I can sync my Kindle Voyage with the Kindle app on my phone and I sometimes do. I can also sync Moon+, my preferred reader on my phone, with other Android devices, which I sometimes do. Both work very well. The problem is I can't sync the Kindle with Moon+ on the phone and those are the two things I read on. Mostly on my Kindle but on the phone when I'm somewhere else and have a few minutes to read.

For a while I tried to come up with solutions to that but little by little I realized the simple solution is to just do it manually. When I stop on one device I remember a chapter number or some simple phrase from the top of the page I'm reading. When I go to the next device I either can manually go to that chapter or search for that phrase. It rarely takes more than 20 or 30 seconds to find my place. The key is to make myself remember that phrase or chapter number.

Phrases, for me at least, should be fairly short and unambiguous and should contain no punctuation since that's what I get wrong most often. Usually 2 or 3 words will do it if I pick words I don't see together all over the page. I wouldn't use "and then the". I might use "and flies home", a phrase from the top of the page on my current book. A search probably won't bring that up more than 1 or two times and I'll easily decide which is the one I'm looking for since they both give enough context.

In fact I'm finding that manual syncing, as long as I can remember a phrase like that, is as fast or faster than automatic syncing. It's more work but it doesn't take any longer.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2016, 07:33 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Since when don't the Kobo devices sync? They will quite happily sync between themselves and the Kobo apps iOS and Android apps.

Or are you asking for syncing of sideloaded books? If so, you should mention that.

And all syncing that I know of is between like items. Kobo supports syncing between it's products. Same for Kindles and the other devices. For non-like devices/apps, the sync is manual in the way the barrym described.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:03 PM   #4
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
With the Kindle you can also sync what are effectively side-loaded books by sending them to your Kindle with Send to Kindle. This lets you sync between Kindles and Kindle apps. I used to do that all the time. I now do it sometimes although it's become less important to me. It works very well.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 05:00 AM   #5
eMole
Zealot
eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch HD, PocketBook Era
PocketBook also sells a 300ppi eink reader (Touch HD) and there' a PocketBook app for Android.
But I have no idea about any kind of syncing between those two.
eMole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2016, 06:59 AM   #6
yacoob
Zealot
yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.

Yes, I did mean sideloaded - actually, I just meant "any". Sorry for not being clear enough.

As for Kindle - I've used it some time ago (PW1, I think), but since then I've decided not to give any money to Amazon. We'll see whether I'll be able to stick with that :>
Old 10-22-2016, 05:05 PM   #7
yacoob
Zealot

@eMole - thanks for that suggestion, I've rooted around, and got pocketbook cloud to sync between their www reader and android app. Funnily enough, android app didn't show the option to configure sync until I've switched the language of phone to German. Once configured, I've switched back to English and so far it works fine.