Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-13-2016, 05:37 PM   #1
docmartn
docmartn began at the beginning.

Device: Android and PC
Delete Original Files?

Just downloaded Calibre. Great tool! From what I can tell when I add a book to Calibre it creates a duplicate file inside the "Calibre folder" thus leaving me with two copies of the book on my hard drive? Is this correct? It seems I should delete the original file once Calibre has indexed the book?

Second question, I've gone to a lot of trouble creating a folder/subfolder hierarchy on my HD to sort my books. It appears that with Calibre this is no longer necessary. Now I can dump the books into a general folder, index them with Calibre and then delete the original file from the general folder. Does that sound right?

Thanks

JC
docmartn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:18 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by docmartn View Post
Just downloaded Calibre. Great tool! From what I can tell when I add a book to Calibre it creates a duplicate file inside the "Calibre folder" thus leaving me with two copies of the book on my hard drive? Is this correct? It seems I should delete the original file once Calibre has indexed the book?

Second question, I've gone to a lot of trouble creating a folder/subfolder hierarchy on my HD to sort my books. It appears that with Calibre this is no longer necessary. Now I can dump the books into a general folder, index them with Calibre and then delete the original file from the general folder. Does that sound right?

Thanks

JC
If you drop the Original files into a (user configured) Auto-add folder, the book will move to the trash after they complete the add.

Personally, I would move (Copy) the originals OFF somewhere... Just in case...
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2016, 06:47 PM   #3
docmartn

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
If you drop the Original files into a (user configured) Auto-add folder, the book will move to the trash after they complete the add.

Personally, I would move (Copy) the originals OFF somewhere... Just in case...
Sounds like a plan. Thanks!
Old 08-13-2016, 07:54 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by docmartn View Post
Sounds like a plan. Thanks!
@docmartn - Depending on number of books you might want to build the library in stages. if you copy many thousands of books into the autoadd folder it will take some considerable time to add them, it may even run out of resources and crash - or the power might fail, or the dog might ...

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:46 PM   #5
fidvo
Addict
fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you really like your hierarchy, you can more or less imitate it with a hierarchical field in Calibre. I use a custom Path field that works like a system of nested subfolders in the Tag Browser. (Although in hindsight I should have called it something else because there's already a Path in Calibre. Still, it hasn't caused any conflicts yet)

Calibre won't assign this custom field automatically though, so you'd have to enter each book's "path" manually.

But it sounds like you're not too stuck on your folder/subfolder system anyway.
fidvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2016, 11:42 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@fidvo - you should be able change the name of your Path column, maybe to something like keywords\Keywords, you'll have to restart after the change. I don't use any hierarchical columns so that may make a difference. Select the column in Preferences and tap the blue 'i' button.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:14 PM   #7
docmartn

Thanks to everyone's replies. I do have a couple thousand books and will have to load them over time. I studied the Genre hierarchy overview on the site and I think that's going to work for me. I have an extra drive I'm going to store the loaded books on in case something goes awry. Looking forward to learning more about Calibre and the Community. Cheers. JCM

Tags
folders, library management, organizing, original files