Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-14-2015, 04:34 AM   #76
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
Did kobo fix the ghosting problem (dictionary-box, menus), in kobo glo?
I just tested a bit on my Glo with 3.17.0 and when I bring up a dictionary window, I can see the ghosting of the page under the box. Once I close the dictionary box though, the screen is refreshed and all ghosting is gone.

When I first installed 3.17.0 and had to adjust the page lines, I noticed that the circle for the slider kept ghosting very badly every time I moved it so I had almost 4 complete circles showing along the single bar. Since I installed GeoffR's patch though, I don't see that ghosting problem from menu adjustments any more though.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:38 AM   #77
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Sickel rebooted my Glo more often in the hour after updating to 3.17.0 than I have had occasions to use the pinhole reset in the almost-three-years that I have owned the device. I think the basic problem is that it is quite normal for the device to be slow to respond soon after booting, as the database will not yet have been loaded into memory and so all queries wil be slow until that happens. It quickly speeds up once the commonly-accessed tables are cached in memory, but when sickel reboots because of the slow first access that doesn't have a chance to happen.

But now with sickel patched to wait 30 seconds instead of 10 seconds before pulling the reboot trigger there have been no more issues. So far this firmware seems to be a small but good improvement on 3.16.0, the PNG bug is fixed, and the screen now refreshes after opening a book to clear away the ghosts of the homescreen tiles.

Edit: The heavy ghosting in menus and popups that started in 3.15.0 hasn't been fixed, but that is not a big issue for me so long as it doesn't affect reading.

Last edited by GeoffR; 08-14-2015 at 04:41 AM.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2015, 05:54 AM   #78
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Glo HD, H2o2, Clara, Forma
Just sideloaded 3.17.0 to check whether the dictionary bug was solved, but nope. I'm very disappointed.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:11 AM   #79
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
I posted a question on Facebook about custom choice to enable or disable sickel, no answer but the post was deleted within the hour.
The warning that it can happen that the device reboots by itself and that is has nothing to do with a device defect, almost instantly.
For some reason Kobo doesn't want that the users know sickel is there.
Maybe it is not good advertising that a device have this watchdog inside, so it looks like it is so buggy that it needs such a mechanism ??

But, paranoide mode on/ whats next to build in, force a device to go online to receive updates ??
I updated my routers settings with the mac numbers of both devices so that they are not enabled to "call home"..
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:19 AM   #80
Desdinova
Eternal light
Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura, Touch, H2O - now Aura One
[QUOTE=Nick_1964;3151451

But, paranoide mode on/ whats next to build in, force a device to go online to receive updates ??
I updated my routers settings with the mac numbers of both devices so that they are not enabled to "call home"..[/QUOTE]

I fail to see what all the problem is here. Since a Kobo has no GPS etc, the worst it can phone home is reading habits.

Kobo and Kindle are businesses so to stay afloat they are going to monetise their readers a little. Compared to Amazon, Kobo are saints in comparison.

Lets not make mountains out of molehills..
Desdinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2015, 06:21 AM   #81
Desdinova
Eternal light
Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura, Touch, H2O - now Aura One
And whilst I concur the idea of altering the timeout of sickle is a good thing, lets be honest we are only seeing a few (even here) people seeing it as an issue - and I will be willing to bet these are people on the unusual end of Kobo usage - i.e large files, or large numbers of files.

Software development is a huge task, and any update on any device will always throw out new issues.

The only bug free software is 'Hello, World' and thats arguable
Desdinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:29 AM   #82
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Most Kobo users won't know anything about sickle or why the Reader is rebooting. All they will think is something went wrong with the firmware update. Yes, some will take to the net to try to find out what's going on with the rebooting.

What would you think if you were not a member of MR and did not have access to the information about sickle and your Kobo would sometimes reboot with no apparent reason a number of times?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:30 AM   #83
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdinova View Post
I fail to see what all the problem is here. Since a Kobo has no GPS etc, the worst it can phone home is reading habits.
You understand me wrong.. with every sync,kobo is checking for updates.
So if you don't sync, nothing happens..
Kobo build things in the firmware, like the resetting watchdog without telling this to users.
So I was asking myself, what if Kobo builds in a timer that after,by example,30 days, open a wifi connection by itself to check if there is an update and installs it ?
I am not afraid for telling details at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdinova View Post
And whilst I concur the idea of altering the timeout of sickle is a good thing, lets be honest we are only seeing a few (even here) people seeing it as an issue - and I will be willing to bet these are people on the unusual end of Kobo usage - i.e large files, or large numbers of files.
How do you know this ?? A minority of Kobo users is using this forum. (compared with Kobo buyers worldwide)
You can't say, there are 3 people complaining here so it is a minor issue.
There can be thousands out there,only not knowing of the existance of this forum..
Old 08-14-2015, 06:39 AM   #84
IanD
Enthusiast
IanD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IanD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IanD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IanD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IanD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IanD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IanD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IanD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IanD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IanD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IanD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_1964 View Post
How do you know this ?? A minority of Kobo users is using this forum. (compared with Kobo buyers worldwide)
You can't say, there are 3 people complaining here so it is a minor issue.
There can be thousands out there,only not knowing of the existance of this forum..
Not to mention the (presumably) large number of people who haven't upgraded to this version yet. Some of us are still on 3.15.0, and patiently waiting* for our local affiliate to catch up.

* Yes, I know I can update anyway, but the point is that most people won't know how, or even care - until their device eventually updates itself, and then (maybe) start getting problems. Personally, I'm happy with 3.15.0 and haven't seen anything critical that would persuade me to upgrade ... and this bug is a good reason not to bother.
IanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:51 AM   #85
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD View Post
Not to mention the (presumably) large number of people who haven't upgraded to this version yet. Some of us are still on 3.15.0, and patiently waiting* for our local affiliate to catch up.

* Yes, I know I can update anyway, but the point is that most people won't know how, or even care - until their device eventually updates itself, and then (maybe) start getting problems. Personally, I'm happy with 3.15.0 and haven't seen anything critical that would persuade me to upgrade ... and this bug is a good reason not to bother.
But this bug (as you call it) can be patched away in two different ways. You know where to find the patches and you know you can update to 3.17.0 without getting caught by sickle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:05 AM   #86
Nick_1964
Bookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But this bug (as you call it) can be patched away in two different ways. You know where to find the patches and you know you can update to 3.17.0 without getting caught by sickle.
If we gonna argue if something is a bug or not, the end is there.. I call unwanted behaviour a bug.
I know how to patch it,but there is more (ok hard to imagine) then M.R. on this world.
There are so, so many people that are only just scared by the word patching... It is not about what we can or not, it is what all those customers outside M.R. experience.
Do they see the connection with a sudden rebooting device and the new firmware, especially when it starts after a few days ??
How many device would be sended back as defect / warranty ?
How does the dealer handle this.. I know of dealers that "leave it on the shelf" for about 3 weeks before even sending it back to their delivery company.
Then you can wait for a month or more before your reader comes back, without being repaired because nothing is there to repair..
For as far as I know there is no changed manual that says: when your device becomes unstable, it will reset itself, this is normal.. in practice, a lot of people will try to use the pinhole to stop this unwanted behaviour..and that doesn't solve it..

And.. why is it that we are used to the word patching and find it normal to do.. a patch is for an emergency, not a common used thing..
The patches I use are not fancy patches, just the ones needed to have a normal reading experience..
This are consumers devices, not hobby projects for advantage users..

Last edited by Nick_1964; 08-14-2015 at 07:24 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:36 AM   #87
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo,Aura H2O,Glo HD,Aura ONE,Clara HD,Forma;tolino epos
Quote:
Most Kobo users won't know anything about sickle or why the Reader is rebooting. All they will think is something went wrong with the firmware update. Yes, some will take to the net to try to find out what's going on with the rebooting.

What would you think if you were not a member of MR and did not have access to the information about sickle and your Kobo would sometimes reboot with no apparent reason a number of times?
Sorry, but the average Kobo user probably doesn't care because they aren't seeing any reboots. Be honest Jon, how many times did you see the device reboot before you patched sickel out? Personally, the count is 2. And both times I did something deliberately to see if it would reboot. Both times I chose to look at books that are on my devices purely to debug problems reported on this site. So, my normal usage will not trigger a wrong sickel reboot. My son's usage will not trigger a wrong sickel reboot. My wife's usage will not trigger a wrong sickel reboot. My mother-in-laws usage will not trigger a wrong sickel reboot. My belief is that not very many users will trigger a wrong sickel reboot.

At the moment, I can trigger this in two ways: going to a library list showing covers when one specific PDF is on the list and opening that PDF. That's one out of the 15 or so PDFs on the device.

GeoffR has a restart by opening the reading stats immediately after rebooting. I can't reproduce this. My guess it is related to the size of the database. Specifically, the number of books and the number of rows in the Events table. You would also get a restart if you had the bad luck that the last book being read was one that triggered the restart when the cover was generated.

Someone mentioned a problem with creating a bookmark. But, I'm not sure if this was with 3.17.0, or 3.16.10. I have made at least 50 annotations since I had 3.17.0 on my devices and haven't had a problem.

If there is another way to consistently get a restart with 3.17.0, I missed it. Please point it out so I can see if I can reproduce it.

Now, do I think Kobo got this right? No. I can see the point of what they are doing, but I'm not convinced it is a good idea. And they have something wrong with either the timing or when it gets involved. Hopefully Kobo will solve the problems quickly.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:47 AM   #88
compurandom
Addict
compurandom can program the VCR without an owner's manual.compurandom can program the VCR without an owner's manual.compurandom can program the VCR without an owner's manual.compurandom can program the VCR without an owner's manual.compurandom can program the VCR without an owner's manual.compurandom can program the VCR without an owner's manual.compurandom can program the VCR without an owner's manual.compurandom can program the VCR without an owner's manual.compurandom can program the VCR without an owner's manual.compurandom can program the VCR without an owner's manual.compurandom can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: kobo aura h2o
Quote:
Originally Posted by arspr View Post
DO NOT UPGRADE TO 3.17 WITH SIDELOADED BIG PDFS

The reboot issue is going to kill you. Specially if the pdfs are just a set of scanned images.
Silly question.... If you use calibre to preload the pdfs and manually generate lower resolution covers for them and use the kobo extension to also load those covers with the pdfs, does it still hang generating the covers or does it use the smaller preloaded ones and work ok?
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:50 AM   #89
IanD
Enthusiast
IanD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IanD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IanD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IanD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IanD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IanD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IanD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IanD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IanD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IanD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IanD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Well, yes - but there's still nothing compelling to make me upgrade, so I probably won't bother. My feeling is that any bug (if it looks like a duck etc.) is a reason not to upgrade, even if I can work around it. I may change my mind if Kobo introduce something appealing to me, such as proper kerning support in the kepub engine for example.
IanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:57 AM   #90
Nick_1964
Bookworm

@davidfor Sorry for replying a message that is not intended for me.
At 3.16.10 I had 3 spontaneous reboots. (before I downgraded) on one device ( Glo HD) that is the one I used the most and I could not reproduced it.
Only thing I can say it was all on kepub.
On that reader I have about 15 books.
I tried it on the second reader to open the exact same book and started 5 pages before the other one rebooted, I could safely read and nothing happened.
I opened another kepub,and wham,reboot.
Opened the same kepub on the 1st device.. nothing happened.
Score, device 1: 3 reboots, device 2: 1 reboot.

This morning I upgraded from 3.16.10 to 3.17 without patching at all (wanted to see how the linespacing was unpatched) and was reading a normal midsised kepub (created with Calibre,all sideloaded) and wanted to play a bit with the linespace bar.
Reboot.
After the reboot I opened the same book again and played with the linespacebar again to see if I could reproduce it.
Nothing happens.
Didn't tried it at the second device.
Applied the disable patch, upgraded the second and also applied the sickel disable patch.

With both devices I was not able to reproduce the reboot a second time.
Did noticed something weird when applying the disable sickel patch one one device: it looks like the screen was a bit in a black and white circle when disabled from the usb that moved a bit to the right like a clock moving counterclockwise before it rebooted to process the disable sickel patch.
Did applied the patch to the second and was watching if the same happens to the second one.. it doesn't..
The size of the KoboReader.sqlite is 1.629.184 bytes.. a bit more then 1,5 mb.. that doesn't seem to large to me..

Last edited by Nick_1964; 08-14-2015 at 08:59 AM.