Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 08-30-2014, 09:25 AM   #1
tsolignani
Zealot
tsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: iPad
Audiobook reader for iOS

What would you suggest?

Thank you.
tsolignani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:39 AM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsolignani View Post
What would you suggest?

Thank you.
To help us help you, where do you get your audiobooks from?

I get the majority of my audiobooks from OverDrive public libraries and Audible. Each of those sources have dedicated apps, so I use the players inside those apps to play my audiobooks.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2014, 11:17 AM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I really like the Smarter Player app, which has better speed gradations than the Audible or Overdrive apps. I doubt Audible books would play on it and I don't bother with Overdrive books if I can finish them before the loans expire, but for everything else and for Overdrive books where I need more time, it's terrifc.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:46 AM   #4
tsolignani
Zealot
tsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

I have some abs ripped from CDs, I have no idea where I would buy in the future and even if I will at all, I am just trying this new way to enjoy a book, but generally I do not like DRMed things and I prefer to buy unprotected matter.

The app that would serve me best would be one capable of reading from audio files inside dropbox and to sync the listening point amongst several iDevices but I suspect there is none.

I didn't know Overdrive, I'll have a look.

Thank you, happy reading or listening.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:48 PM   #5
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I prefer the Ambling Audiobook player. Two features that I haven't found in the other players I tried are:

1. When you begin playback on a book you have already begun, it automatically backs up ~30 seconds from where audio stopped. This helps me a lot in remembering where I am in a book.

2. Shake to restart sleep timer. When I am having trouble sleeping, I set the shutoff timer for 10 minutes. If I haven't fallen asleep by then, when the chime sounds I can just shake the iPhone to reset the timer for another 10 minutes.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2014, 05:28 AM   #6
tsolignani
Zealot

Thank you. It does look interesting, for those same reasons.

Thanks again, have a nice day.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:01 AM   #7
tuesday630
tuesday630 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
My favorite iPhone audio book player is Bookmark. Unfortunately, the author has stopped updating it, but it still works well. It has a few glitches, but for some reason I still like it best.

I've also tried SpeedUp, which lets you change the speed of the audio, which might be nice when you just need to get the info. I don't like how you have to manually add all files as a playlist, and I also don't like how small the position icon is (makes it more difficult to select and nudge).

I've tried Magic Words player, and it's okay. I like the icon placements and size.

I've tried SmartPlayer, but the version I have doesn't allow me to play mp3 audiobook I load to the iPhone from my hard disk, so I don't have much experience with it.

I've tried a player for iPhone called Audiobook Player. It's a fairly nice one. I don't care for the way it display the remaining time.

I've tried Multi Audiobook Player. I've not used it for an entire book, but it's okay I think.

I tried Ambling Lite, but the Lite version doesn't let me load Mp3 files from my hard disk.
tuesday630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:42 AM   #8
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuesday630 View Post
My favorite iPhone audio book player is Bookmark. Unfortunately, the author has stopped updating it, but it still works well. It has a few glitches, but for some reason I still like it best.

I've also tried SpeedUp, which lets you change the speed of the audio, which might be nice when you just need to get the info. I don't like how you have to manually add all files as a playlist, and I also don't like how small the position icon is (makes it more difficult to select and nudge).

I've tried Magic Words player, and it's okay. I like the icon placements and size.

I've tried SmartPlayer, but the version I have doesn't allow me to play mp3 audiobook I load to the iPhone from my hard disk, so I don't have much experience with it.

I've tried a player for iPhone called Audiobook Player. It's a fairly nice one. I don't care for the way it display the remaining time.

I've tried Multi Audiobook Player. I've not used it for an entire book, but it's okay I think.

I tried Ambling Lite, but the Lite version doesn't let me load Mp3 files from my hard disk.
I love Bookmark too. It's so sad its not updated anymore. I've found nothing close to it for my fan fiction audiobooks.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:45 AM   #9
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I prefer the Ambling Audiobook player. Two features that I haven't found in the other players I tried are:

1. When you begin playback on a book you have already begun, it automatically backs up ~30 seconds from where audio stopped. This helps me a lot in remembering where I am in a book.

2. Shake to restart sleep timer. When I am having trouble sleeping, I set the shutoff timer for 10 minutes. If I haven't fallen asleep by then, when the chime sounds I can just shake the iPhone to reset the timer for another 10 minutes.
Do you have the pro version? Only the lite does not allow imported books so I don't have the opportunity to try it without buying it first.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:41 PM   #10
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Do you have the pro version? Only the lite does not allow imported books so I don't have the opportunity to try it without buying it first.
I do indeed have the Pro version.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:39 PM   #11
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
I use the Audible app for books which I buy from them. I like the fact that I can retrieve a book from the "cloud" when I want to read a new book. I love this app. It remembers my place in a book, gives me the option of speeding up the playback, has great controls for rewinding (love that 30-second button), etc.

This past summer I participated in the SYNC Audio YA give-away and now have a lot of books in MP3 format. I imported one book into iTunes on my PC and created a playlist which I then transferred to my iPhone. (Right now I *think* I tethered the iPhone to the PC and asked iTunes to send the playlist to my phone.) I simply use the built-in "Music" app on the phone to play the book. This app is adequate. But it doesn't remember my place in the audio file if I close the app. I have gotten used to noting my location (file number and time remaining) when I stop listening. The rewind controls are iffy -- you can jump to the beginning of the track or to previous tracks (jumping forward as well), but with each track being 60 minutes long, that's just too coarse of control. You can also slide the position (high speed scrub), but it's very touchy and difficult to back up just a minute or two.

I think I'll check out the other options mentioned above.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 06:33 AM   #12
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire Nanny View Post
I simply use the built-in "Music" app on the phone to play the book. This app is adequate. But it doesn't remember my place in the audio file if I close the app. I have gotten used to noting my location (file number and time remaining) when I stop listening.
The music app will remember your place if it's told to. You must change the properties of the files after importing them into itunes. Right-click on the mp3-album and go to properties. Make sure that "remember my place" is marked. I also tick "do not shuffle". (I have itunes in Norwegian, so not sure of exact wording).

You should also change the file from music to audio book. This will move them from the music tab to audio books in itunes, and will also make them show up under audio books in the music app after you send them to your phone. When the app plays dedicated audio files, the control changes so you can jump forwards and backwards 15 sec. You can still use a playlist to play them if you like, but it's not necessary, they will play in order.

When the books are set up as audio books, you can also use the audible app to listen to them. They will show up under the itunes tab. Most things work, but not speed up.

Last edited by tilia; 12-04-2014 at 06:35 AM.
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 06:39 AM   #13
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
What tilia said!

I also recommend the app "Audiobook Builder". You plug in mp3s, give it some information, and it will build a properly formatted audiobook, with a cover etc, to your specifications (eg how long to go before breaking the file, etc).
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 07:04 AM   #14
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I use a combination of the audible app and iTunes/the music app. I get the vast majority of my audiobooks from audible. Both are perfectly adequate for listening to a specific audible book, Neither are very good for organizing audio books or for helping to decide what to listen to next. I generally use iTunes to organize my audiobooks and put them into a playlist for the car.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:50 AM   #15
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilia View Post
The music app will remember your place if it's told to. You must change the properties of the files after importing them into itunes. Right-click on the mp3-album and go to properties. Make sure that "remember my place" is marked. I also tick "do not shuffle". (I have itunes in Norwegian, so not sure of exact wording).

You should also change the file from music to audio book. This will move them from the music tab to audio books in itunes, and will also make them show up under audio books in the music app after you send them to your phone. When the app plays dedicated audio files, the control changes so you can jump forwards and backwards 15 sec. You can still use a playlist to play them if you like, but it's not necessary, they will play in order.

When the books are set up as audio books, you can also use the audible app to listen to them. They will show up under the itunes tab. Most things work, but not speed up.
Thanks for this, Tilia. It's very helpful

> Right-click on the mp3-album and go to properties.
> Make sure that "remember my place" is marked.

There isn't a properties option in iTunes 12.0.1, however I found a "Get Info" option that allows me to set the "Remember playback position".

> You should also change the file from music to audio book.

I couldn't find this option -- looked over & over again & finally realized that the "Media Type" was actually a pull-down! I quickly changed the playlist/album to a type of audiobook and Voila! Success.

Thanks so much for the directions. I'm anxious to now download another of the audiobooks from SYNC to see how it works in the iPhone's playback.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
app, ios