Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-26-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
scullyware
scullyware does all things with Zen-like beautyscullyware does all things with Zen-like beautyscullyware does all things with Zen-like beautyscullyware does all things with Zen-like beautyscullyware does all things with Zen-like beautyscullyware does all things with Zen-like beautyscullyware does all things with Zen-like beautyscullyware does all things with Zen-like beautyscullyware does all things with Zen-like beautyscullyware does all things with Zen-like beautyscullyware does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
Porting apps to launch with KUAL (question)

Hi everybody!
I am sorry for my bad English, i am from Russia and i learn it only with internet and students book.
I am very interested in all ebooks, so now I use Kindle Paperwhite with jailbrake.
I tried to understand evrything about it, now i had lanched all avaible kindlets and KUAL apps, on this forum i read all KUAL topic, but i cant understand, how to port Linux apps to launch them with KUAL. I tried to launch, for example, mousepad (compilled bin for armel). I did everything, like it was with Leafpad, that i had found on this forum. But KUAL had not even show my mousepad in the list of apps.
I will be very happy, if anyone can give usefull links or can explain something about it. Thank you very much.
Gleb.
scullyware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:03 AM   #2
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
it would be easier if you post your menu.json I think for that thing.

and config
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
scullyware
scullyware does all things with Zen-like beautyscullyware does all things with Zen-like beautyscullyware does all things with Zen-like beautyscullyware does all things with Zen-like beautyscullyware does all things with Zen-like beautyscullyware does all things with Zen-like beautyscullyware does all things with Zen-like beautyscullyware does all things with Zen-like beautyscullyware does all things with Zen-like beautyscullyware does all things with Zen-like beautyscullyware does all things with Zen-like beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
it would be easier if you post your menu.json I think for that thing.

and config
http://pastebin.com/bahuTnTp - config.xml
http://pastebin.com/tbzz0GPV - menu.json

In fact, all files are copies from Leafpad's folder: config, menu and .sh
A changed everywhere "Leaf" to "Mouse". (Sorry baf, but it was just an expirement)
This two text editors are very similar, and i thought it was a right beggining.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by scullyware View Post
http://pastebin.com/bahuTnTp - config.xml
http://pastebin.com/tbzz0GPV - menu.json

In fact, all files are copies from Leafpad's folder: config, menu and .sh
A changed everywhere "Leaf" to "Mouse". (Sorry baf, but it was just an expirement)
This two text editors are very similar, and i thought it was a right beggining.
And where on your Kindle did you put those files (all three of them)?

In:
*/extensions/mousepad/ and the script in */extensions/mousepad/bin ?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:21 AM   #5
scullyware

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
And where on your Kindle did you put those files (all three of them)?

In:
*/extensions/mousepad/ and the script in */extensions/mousepad/bin ?
Yes.
.bin and .sh are in */extensions/mousepad/bin, and config and menu files in */extensions/mousepad/
Advert
Old 08-26-2013, 12:00 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by scullyware View Post
Yes.
.bin and .sh are in */extensions/mousepad/bin, and config and menu files in */extensions/mousepad/
I do not see why it would not be showing up on the KUAL menus.

Ah...
What version of KUAL are you using? Version 2.2?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:42 PM   #7
scullyware

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I do not see why it would not be showing up on the KUAL menus.

Ah...
What version of KUAL are you using? Version 2.2?
It seems to me that I am using 2.0, but I installed the latest version from attached files in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203326 thread.
Anyway, here you are my screenshots, may be they can be useful.

Spoiler:

Moderated: Images put in spoiler. Please respect the Posting Guidelines concerning the maximum size of embedded images. Large images can destroy the page layout. --ixtab

Last edited by ixtab; 08-26-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:03 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Check the KUAL menu, it's showing 1 error, which is most likely a syntax error in your json menu ;-). (Unix line endings?)
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #9
scullyware

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Check the KUAL menu, it's showing 1 error, which is most likely a syntax error in your json menu ;-). (Unix line endings?)
Yes, I know, it is gnash error (not even my experiment).
I am enough lazy to better ignore, than fix it

Spoiler:
Old 08-26-2013, 04:45 PM   #10
stepk
Groupie
stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5 B011 5.3.2.1
I seem to remember that the KUAL json parser is forgiving of windows line endings.
OTOH I think sh wants unix line endings.
@scullyware, run KUAL, open the KUAL menu, press "Save and reset KUAL.log", exit KUAL, scroll your list of books and find a new document by the name KUAL-yyyy-mm-ddThh.mmUTC (year,month,day, etc.). Find error lines from the KUAL parser, or possibly from sh, hinting at what the issue might be...
stepk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:28 PM   #11
scullyware

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepk View Post
I seem to remember that the KUAL json parser is forgiving of windows line endings.
OTOH I think sh wants unix line endings.
@scullyware, run KUAL, open the KUAL menu, press "Save and reset KUAL.log", exit KUAL, scroll your list of books and find a new document by the name KUAL-yyyy-mm-ddThh.mmUTC (year,month,day, etc.). Find error lines from the KUAL parser, or possibly from sh, hinting at what the issue might be...
I am afraid i cant find KUAL menu. The only menu that i have shows me "Shop in Kindle Store"

Spoiler:
Old 08-26-2013, 06:36 PM   #12
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

He means press the menu KUAL item. Get an error report.

The menu you are pressing is unaffacted by KUAL at any stage.

One side-effect of the previous error is a cascade failure seemingly, preventing your menu from being parsed.

Either fix up the extra comma in the broken extension.
Or delete the broken extension.

Then the menu will work.

Perhaps future versions could be more fault tolerant and continue to parse on fail.
Perhaps.

In the interim fix your broken stuff.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:51 AM   #13
stepk
Groupie
stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5 B011 5.3.2.1
@scullyware, press the KUAL item, in the picture you posted the KUAL item with a black dot under the pull-down menu.
@twobob and other developers, as a first-time user, scullyware's inability to spot KUAL's error messages isn't unusual. Maybe we should improve usability in this area.

A first-time user who is greeted with an error message sees
KUAL * ( 1 ) to the initiated that means KUAL * ( <error count>)
but to the first-time user it means nothing special.
I also think that naming KUAL's own menu "KUAL" is confusing.
Comments anyone?
stepk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:43 AM   #14
twobob

Yeah.

Suppose the menu cold call itself ERRORS: when there is an error?

good points you make : )
Old 08-27-2013, 11:08 AM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yeah, changing the menu name in addition to appending the error count might be a good idea .
*click me, click me* ! ;D

EDIT: AFAIR, the parser failing on one extension shouldn't prevent it from handling everything else ;?.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-27-2013 at 11:11 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote