Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-05-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Sony gets a web based ebook store!

http://blog.sony.com/reader-store-gi...ytime-anywhere

They just announced it on Facebook.

Sounds like the Android app is getting an update as well. Which is probably a good thing, I thought about downloading it, but the reviews as of last week looked pretty bad, so I didn't bother. I'll have to go check again next time I'm in app downloading mode.

It may be rather late to compete with Amazon and B&N and Kobo. Still, as they say, better late than never!
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
That is fantastic news! They always had their catalog on the web. I never understood why they wouldn't just implement a shopping cart. Hooray! I've been waiting for a better Android app for awhile. Now, if only they would release an iOS app too. It's time to get over whatever residual anger they have with Apple from last year's rejection.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
It's about flippin' time.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Maybe they are listening....FINALLY !!!
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The bookstore also has a mobile version which looks nice and was easy to browse & make a purchase on my iPhone.
Advert
Old 06-06-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
It's not brilliant though - in fact it's rather boring, at limited, at least the UK/Europe one is.

But I thought y'all had it for years in the US...... ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:29 PM   #7
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

We had a bookstore that was only accessible through the Sony Reader software on your computer and within the last year or so Android smartphone and tablet apps were added. The big news is that you can now purchase books in a web browser and download them to your computer without needing to use the Sony computer software. You could just use ADE if that was your preference. Similar to what you can do with Kobo or WH Smith or Waterstones in the case of the UK. That's a big improvement and a step forward that should have been done ages ago.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #8
Mikou
Zealot
Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Amazon Fire 10, Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura One
It is about time! I disliked the software because on my system it was slow and a little buggy. Plus, it was annoying to have to use the software when I cut my ebook buying teeth on web-based stores like Fictionwise and BooksOnBoard. I'm more likely to shop at Sony now.
Mikou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #9
luvduchovny
Zealot
luvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
The android app is a great improvement. In the past it would never let me look at my purchases at the sony reader store on my phone. Now it does, and lets me download and read on almost any device and it will bookmark where I left off if I decide to read it on my tablet. (I imagine if I had my T1's wireless turned on it would do it there as well). Yes, I know Kindle app did this first, but so what?
luvduchovny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:01 PM   #10
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But - and I base this purely on my experience of viewing the Euro store - is it any better, or beneficially different, than the competition ?
Old 06-08-2012, 06:46 PM   #11
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

The organization of the US & Canadian websites are better than the UK store. It is easier to browse categories and find new book recommendations. I don't think there is anything that really makes it better than the competition except you can add multiple items to the shopping cart which is a common complaint about some other stores like Kobo.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:38 AM   #12
carpetmojo
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
The organization of the US & Canadian websites are better than the UK store. It is easier to browse categories and find new book recommendations. I don't think there is anything that really makes it better than the competition except you can add multiple items to the shopping cart which is a common complaint about some other stores like Kobo.
Isn't that somehow typically Sony ?
You apparently have a facility that functions perfectly well, is efficient and does the job, and instead of using that as a template for expanding it in another geographical area, you go to all the effort of starting from scratch and doing it differently ............ and do it worse.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #13
laughingdragons
Groupie
laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350 1 Pink 1 Silver Paperwhite Kindle
It's about freakin' time!

I was just having a hard time trying to buy some books from their software. I couldn't buy at all for the past week.

I just tried the site out and had no problems.
laughingdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:04 PM   #14
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
As an extra bonus, this means that Sony readers will finally be fully Linux compatible! Web store + Calibre, and off we go.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:37 AM   #15
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Now if they fixed the registration problems for NON-US accounts that would be nice..
owly is offline   Reply With Quote