Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-18-2024, 04:11 AM   #1
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Terry Pratchett - 39 Discworld books

In the US (but cough, VPN, cough) humblebundle.com has a deal for the Discworld ebooks.

For 18 USD (you can pay more) you get a redemption token for the US Kobo store.

It has 39 books, though Wikipedia lists 41 in the series. For some reason "The Last Hero" and "Raising Steam" are missing.

Last edited by chrisridd; 01-18-2024 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Found which books are missing
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 04:35 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
You're late to the party. There's already a discussion of this in the Science Fiction and Fantasy thread. VPN apparently does not work. (See discussion for additional details.)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-18-2024 at 04:37 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2024, 04:56 AM   #3
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
You're late to the party. There's already a discussion of this in the Science Fiction and Fantasy thread. VPN apparently does not work. (See discussion for additional details.)
So I am! Apologies for the thread proliferation.

I've added a datapoint into that thread that one VPN does in fact work.
Old 01-18-2024, 05:01 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
So I am! Apologies for the thread proliferation.

I've added a datapoint into that thread that one VPN does in fact work.
No problem!

There's a lot of continuing interest in Terry Pratchett.

In fact, if members wish to continue the discussion, they're currently free to post here or in the SF&F thread.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-18-2024 at 05:09 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 02:50 PM   #5
rantanplan
Fanatic
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
In the US (but cough, VPN, cough) humblebundle.com has a deal for the Discworld ebooks.

For 18 USD (you can pay more) you get a redemption token for the US Kobo store.

It has 39 books, though Wikipedia lists 41 in the series. For some reason "The Last Hero" and "Raising Steam" are missing.

I couldn’t access their promotional site via vpn either, so they’re using some especially egregious fuckery to enforce their geoblocking.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2024, 03:41 PM   #6
chrisridd
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
I couldn’t access their promotional site via vpn either, so they’re using some especially egregious fuckery to enforce their geoblocking.
On the plus side, at least you don't have to convert the spelling in the books from American back into English. "Color of Magic", I ask you.
Old 01-18-2024, 03:48 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
On the plus side, at least you don't have to convert the spelling in the books from American back into English. "Color of Magic", I ask you.
English is spoken in America. UK speak is something else.

Colour has an excess u in it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 03:59 PM   #8
rantanplan
Fanatic
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don’t mind either way of spelling. Maybe we can get an Aussie for a third opinion 😜
Old 01-18-2024, 04:43 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Sadly, Jon has a very rigid opinion that the way things are done in the USA is the only true way. Though his repeated opinion that the UK is not the home of English is rather humorous. Where else were Norman men-at-arms trying to pick up Saxon barmaids?

As a Canadian, we can take or leave the extra u's. Mostly we take them.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 04:25 AM   #10
Kindleing
Groupie
Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Kobos
Rather than clutter up the SF&F thread, I thought I would clutter up post my question in this thread. I have a Kobo account I created when I bought my first Kobo a few years ago, but I have never purchased anything through them. I always side load books into my Kobos via Calibre. I just logged in and the account is still active, but of course there are no books there.

I have bought Humble Bundles before, but they were always downloaded directly from their site. This bundle says to access the books through the Kobo website - how does that work? I want to stuff them into Calibre along with the books I buy from Amazon. Will I be able to log into the Kobo site and download them like I do from Amazon? What about DRM? Does this involve the Adobe system?

Thanks.
Kindleing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 04:58 AM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindleing View Post
What about DRM? Does this involve the Adobe system?
If you go to Books on website rather than sync to store with Wifi, then you can download. Sometimes it's an epub without DRM and otherwise it's an ACSM 'ticket'. They expire (it's a small text file and you can see the expiry date/time). You then either use an Adobe program (not on Linux) to get the DRM epub, or use a plug-in on Calibre and then add the ACSM to Calibre before it expires and it appears as a DRM-Free epub (works on Linux, Mac and Windows).
If you sync the Kobo ereader with the same account to the Kobo store you usually get a kepub with DRM (there is also a plugin option for that too).

I've not used HumbleBundle, but have bought from Kobo. I never use WiFi on the Kobo ereaders and I have SideloadedMode=true which makes the 'My Books' be Home and 'Discover' is replaced by 'Activity'.
I use Calibre to manage all my ebooks from PD sources and from any store. An extra column indicates if pd or copyright.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 05:03 AM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Sadly, Jon has a very rigid opinion that the way things are done in the USA is the only true way. Though his repeated opinion that the UK is not the home of English is rather humorous. Where else were Norman men-at-arms trying to pick up Saxon barmaids?

Native North Americans no doubt regard English, Spanish, French and German (some Amish?) as colonial imports?
Also Spanish ought to be as official as English in the USA, though I can't imagine they speak it like people in Madrid.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 10:39 AM   #13
rantanplan
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post

Verily, only Middle English is sooth English. British English or American English are but watered-down renditions of the tongue for common folk.
Old 01-19-2024, 11:24 AM   #14
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
Verily, only Middle English is sooth English. British English or American English are but watered-down renditions of the tongue for common folk.
If you count mixing in some French as part of the watering down.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 12:04 PM   #15
chrisridd
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindleing View Post
I have bought Humble Bundles before, but they were always downloaded directly from their site. This bundle says to access the books through the Kobo website - how does that work? I want to stuff them into Calibre along with the books I buy from Amazon. Will I be able to log into the Kobo site and download them like I do from Amazon? What about DRM? Does this involve the Adobe system?

Thanks.
HB emails you a link to a page on their site which links to a special page on kobo.com where you can select which of the 39 books you want to get. (Weird but OK..)

That HB page also has a hidden redemption code. On that special Kobo page there's something like a redeem button, and at some point you type in the redemption code.

The books then appear in your Kobo library, just the same as any other purchased book.

At least one of the books has an option to be downloaded with Adobe DRM, but the default is to use Kobo DRM.

I might be misremembering if HB's email had the link or which page showed you the redemption code, but that's basically the gist.

Now, back to arguing the toss with posters who believe they know better than a book's author.

Tags
discworld