Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-22-2018, 03:57 PM   #211
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Thanks! That's great news if it is true.

If it is true, I wonder why amazon isn't touting the increased robustness. Maybe they are afraid people will sit on it, then complain when it breaks.
By pointing out how much more robust it is, they would draw attention to how fragile the other Kindles are.

Who knows.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 04:04 PM   #212
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Would you trust a small kid with anything more expensive? Think about the children, not just adults. And also children do not need a reader with built in light to read when they are supposed to be sleeping.
Yup, it's good for kiddos and as a backup knock-about reader for any age. But I'd still wait for a sale. Just responding to the "last year's model" comment about the Kobo Aura 2.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 04:22 PM   #213
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
Yes, the basic Kindle is often on sale. It needs to be -- it's last decade's model! (800x600 Pearl 167ppi screen, no front light)
The Paperwhite is often on sale, as well. As for the Basic being "last decade" — not quite. Although I would prefer E-Carta (the 167ppi doesn't bother me) it still has modern firmware, adequate memory (storage and RAM), fast processor speed, good touch sensitivity and Bluetooth.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:24 PM   #214
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Can we move this to the Kindle section please?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:20 PM   #215
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
[QUOTE=j.p.s;3763906]Are you saying that the PW4 has a plastic display substrate?

A PCMag article states that it is a plastic backed eInk display but not an eInk Mobius instead being an Amazon designed display. An interesting claim but so far I haven't found any other sites that confirm that claim. And no, I don't consider BadeReader quoting PCMag as being confirmation.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:24 PM   #216
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
[QUOTE=DNSB;3763984]
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Are you saying that the PW4 has a plastic display substrate?

A PCMag article states that it is a plastic backed eInk display but not an eInk Mobius instead being an Amazon designed display. An interesting claim but so far I haven't found any other sites that confirm that claim. And no, I don't consider BadeReader quoting PCMag as being confirmation.
The briefing included one-on-one sessions with Amazon reps following the presentation. Perhaps it was something the reporter specifically asked about in his. He seems more knowledgeable than most of the initial reporting (at least knows there is something called ‘Mobius’). Of course he could have misunderstood what the rep told him, or the rep may have misrepresented the facts. At any rate, I would give it the benefit of doubt for now.

In the end the only thing that matters is how damage resistant it turns out to be in the real world, and we’ll have to wait for evidence of that. Mobius is not the only way to achieve damage-resistance, and Amazon certainly has the resources and clout with eInk to pursue solutions that meet their specific requirements. A custom solution that is better in some key ways than Mobius (cheaper to manufacture, or better display quality) would be a competitive advantage, as it would not be something eInk could turn around and offer to Amazon’s competitors.

I am less concerned about damage resistance (I can well believe it is a significant improvement over the Paperwhite it replaces in the lineup) than the visual qualities: is it going to be as good or better than my Voyage?

Last edited by tomsem; 10-22-2018 at 08:29 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:09 PM   #217
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
The Paperwhite is often on sale, as well. As for the Basic being "last decade" — not quite. Although I would prefer E-Carta (the 167ppi doesn't bother me) it still has modern firmware, adequate memory (storage and RAM), fast processor speed, good touch sensitivity and Bluetooth.
Yes, it was just an exaggerated response to the comment about the Kobo Aura 2 being "last year's model." The basic Kindle has 8 year old screen tech -- not quite a full decade old. I believe the first front light was ten years ago, but they didn't become a regular thing until 2012's Nook. I'm a little surprised Kindle didn't get its screen bumped up to 2013.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:42 PM   #218
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Mobius is not the only way to achieve damage-resistance, and Amazon certainly has the resources and clout with eInk to pursue solutions that meet their specific requirements.
[..]
I am less concerned about damage resistance (I can well believe it is a significant improvement over the Paperwhite it replaces in the lineup) than the visual qualities: is it going to be as good or better than my Voyage?
Mobius was designed to be flexible. When it was introduced it was very expensive due to very low yield rates, it may still be very expensive. If all you want is shatter resistance, being flexible is overkill, IMO. A very stiff plastic (maybe acrylic stiff) would perhaps do the trick of reasonable compromise of yield, shatter proof, image quality, and cost.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:06 AM   #219
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Or as an alternative, someone interpreted the plastic back of the Paperwhite 4 as meaning the display had a plastic back. Given that only one site has made that claim and several others have stated that it does not have a plastic substrate, I tend to the alternative.

OTOH, during this search spree, I will admit to having gotten a chuckle out of a comparison which gave the advantage to the Paperwhite 4 compared to the Clara HD due to the Paperwhite's "seamless Overdrive integration".
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 01:45 AM   #220
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post

OTOH, during this search spree, I will admit to having gotten a chuckle out of a comparison which gave the advantage to the Paperwhite 4 compared to the Clara HD due to the Paperwhite's "seamless Overdrive integration".

You're being unfair! It's completely seamless - just as the Emperor's New Clothes were completely seamless
Old 10-23-2018, 02:17 AM   #221
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
You're being unfair! It's completely seamless - just as the Emperor's New Clothes were completely seamless
To be fair, in the US, you can borrow from OD and have the books sync to a Kindle. And looking at the review, the bit about the Clara HD was probably written before the last firmware update.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 02:39 AM   #222
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
To be fair, in the US, you can borrow from OD and have the books sync to a Kindle. And looking at the review, the bit about the Clara HD was probably written before the last firmware update.
Ah, interesting. Clara's on-device of Overdrive here in Aotearoa/NZ was big draw for me after having tried to get ADE to play with my Kindle in the past
Old 10-23-2018, 03:51 AM   #223
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
If you have the patience of Job you can actually borrow and download eBooks from Overdrive (in the U.S.) with just the Kindle, by using the Experimental Browser. It's much easier (and faster), however, to use your computer or smartphone to do the borrowing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Yep, I'm sure the review was. But the reviewer should have updated the Kobo review when he/she updated the Kindle review. (After all they're showing a picture of the Kobo Clara, not an old Kobo.) Borrowing from Overdrive is not "seamless" on the Kindle -- it (basically) requires another device to do the borrowing. Kobos truly are seamless here.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 04:11 AM   #224
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
If you have the patience of Job you can actually borrow and download eBooks from Overdrive (in the U.S.) with just the Kindle, by using the Experimental Browser. It's much easier (and faster), however, to use your computer or smartphone to do the borrowing.
That doesn't sound like "seamless" to me - how many Kindle users actually use the browser? It's basically "in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard." in terms of accessibility. And of course, not universally available even then - no Overdrive here at all on Kindle, unless it's een added in the last few weeks
Old 10-23-2018, 07:38 AM   #225
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Or as an alternative, someone interpreted the plastic back of the Paperwhite 4 as meaning the display had a plastic back. Given that only one site has made that claim and several others have stated that it does not have a plastic substrate, I tend to the alternative.
Cannot find any and don't remember reading any. Could you link and quote at least one that specifically says that it doesn't have a plastic substrate?