Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-26-2018, 03:47 AM   #1
kaesian
kaesian began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Debrick Kindle Paperwhite after failed firmware update

I have a Kindle Paperwhite bought on 2013 (I guess a PW1 because its serial starts with B024).

It was running firmware 5.4.4.2 and had JB done, KUAL installed (as well as python, screensavers and others). I think that Rescue Pack too (never had to use it before).

I decided to upgrade the firmware, so I did the following steps:

- Re-installed the last version of JailBreak (from kindle-jailbreak-1.14.N.zip/kindle-5.4-jailbreak.zip) to have a recent JB.

- Couldn't install JB hotfix (JailBreak-1.15.N-FW-5.x-hotfix) because the "Update my Kindle" option remained gray. I thought it could be caused by my old FW.

- Re-installed KUAL, and installed MrPI.

- Manually downloaded FW update_kindle_5.6.1.1.bin, copied to Kindle and tapped "Update my Kindle". (Note: I used this old FW because i had planned to install the JB hotfix on it before installing the latest FW version, but i never got so far )

Result:
- The installation of FW 5.6.1.1 never completed. My Kindled restarted during the upgrade process. The first time it showed the ** BRIDGE ** message.

- It came into a boot loop that ends up with the screen: "Your kindle needs repair" and "Repair code: 2"

- The Kindle seems to consider that it is now using FW 5.6.1.1 because the "needs repair" screen shows version: 2689890035

- Each time I connect the USB cable, it starts the boot loop again that ends with the "needs repair" screen (it does not show the BRIDGE message anymore).

What I have tried to recover the PW:
- When connected to a Windows machine, a USB drive shows up for the fraction of a second, but disappears pretty fast.

- I have tried to copy a ENABLE_DIAGS file, as well as a DO_FACTORY_RESTORE file to the device, but got no result.

- As the "D:\" drive shows up just for a fraction of a second, i have created a Windows batch script with a loop that tries to continuosly copy the file. But the device just remains in its boot loop.

- The MfgTool.exe scan does not detect any Kindle.

- I have recharged the Kindle overnight and tried again, just in case, but got the same result.

Questions:
- Is there a better way to copy the ENABLE_DIAGS file in the fraction of a second that the device shows up in Windows? (I have access to a Mac and could use Linux on VirtualBox in case it is easier there).

- Is there any way I could recover my Kindle using the USB cable?

I have been reading the forum for several hours already, but I seem unable to find how to recover the Kindle using a USB cable.

Could somebody point me to the right next steps? Thanks

Last edited by kaesian; 07-26-2018 at 08:05 AM.
kaesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:38 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Firmware 5.6.1.1 IS the most recent firmware for a PW1.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:43 AM   #3
kaesian

Great, so at least I was trying to upgrade to the latest valid FW.

Anyway, it never completed the boot up. The PW1 got stucked into a boot loop.

- Is it possible to debrick it using a normal USB connection?
(Take into account that it had the JB done, but that it only shows up in Windows as a USB drive for the fraction of a second before continuing the boot process)
- If the answer is yes: What would be the next steps to debrick it?
- If the answer is no: Would it be possible to recover it with a serial connection?

Thank you very much for your help.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:08 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Perhaps.
Try Kubrick.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:25 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@kaesian: Also, it's supposed to reboot before & at the end of a FW update, so, unless you hit an ERROR *during* the update, and not after the reboot, the update *process* itself went fine.

CRP was kind of made for this situation, but that's a bit too late for that now .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:11 PM   #6
kaesian

Thank you both!

This story has a happy end: the PW1 is working again!

I don't really know what fixed it. I did not get to use Kubrick.

In case anybody else gets this problem, I cannot provide the exact steps that have fixed it (i was just experimenting), but I can provide a hint with the steps that I recall:

@NiLuJe gave me hope that the Kindle could be ok, but the fact that the USB storage only showed up briefly was bothering me because it seemed unusable.

I tried to restart the Kindle to a different state (eg. download mode), but the instructions that I found for previous models required to keep the power button pressed and press a secondary button, but the PW1 only has one.

I read a comment somewhere in the forum about keeping the power button pressed, connecting the USB connection and, as soon as the Kindle starts to boot and the screens blinks, release the power button.
That procedure did not work for me because, keeping the power button pressed, it never tried to boot up despite connecting the USB cable.

So I experimented with little variations were I kept the power button pressed, connected the USB cable, depressed the power button, the Kindle screen blinked, and I quickly pressed and released the power button again. The first time did not work.
But i repeated the process and after the last step I disconnected the USB cable and let the Kindle complete the boot up process.
After a while it booted up correctly and got to the home screen!

(The masters may clarify what the exact process is, otherwise, try my steps).

It booted up to the new FW (5.6.1.1), and it still kept all my books intact, and had KUAL and MrPI installed.
I have reinstalled python, screensavers, and also RP and CRP.
CRP is working properly (I have restarted with USB cable connected and it boots up to diags mode).
Old 07-26-2018, 07:03 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
AFAIK, the "hold the power button for... a while" trick to hard-reboot doesn't work *at all* with something plugged in (because that trick essentially amounts to disconnecting the battery, and getting power over USB obviously renders than null in terms of forcing a reboot because of power loss... because there's no longer a power loss ^^).

That may or may not explain the results of parts of your experiments .

That may also not exactly hold true anymore (bonus question: what about the Oasis 1 and its bundled battery, which essentially means it's always plugged in? ).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:00 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Always remove the USB cable when trying to reboot the Kindle.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:27 PM   #9
kaslava01
kaslava01 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 5th gen
Diffiulty with faulty kindle paper white 5th gen

Hi Folks,

you all seem like a smart bunch

I have been reading through forums etc to find a solution to a paper white I took from my sis cause it wasnt working

I have been trying to fix it up however it has a unique problem which I was hoping someone could shed some light.

It definitely has a software/firmware issue. It is brand new and never abused but it keeps hanging alot in different states, (ie after rest, load screen, ejection from pc etc). Also it is umpossible to restart. Each time I was to reset it (press power buttom for 30-40 sec) for it to start up

I am trying to find a solution or hack on how I can handle its system update/repair via only my laptop and not via its internal ui.

Once I plug it into my laptop and reset, it boots up to the "usb mount" notification screen and is recognised by my laptop but after that it freezes.
kaslava01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 05:55 PM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

"Brand New" - Return it to wherever you got it as "Broke".