Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-13-2018, 12:18 PM   #1
board12
board12 began at the beginning.

Device: PC
Calibre images stretch vertically

Calibre for Windows [epub]:

Narrowing width of window makes images stretch vertically.

How can I maintain image's aspect ratio?
board12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:23 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The viewer will simply use whatever aspect ratio setting is int he file it is vieweing. So if you dont want the images stretched do a conversion to EPUB enabling the option in the epub output section of the conversion dialog to preserve cover ratio
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:26 PM   #3
Chrystalline
Enthusiast
Chrystalline began at the beginning.

Device: pc
I'm feeling pretty stupid about now. It took me a ridiculously long time to figure out that the Preserve Aspect Ratio option was only available in Preferences>Conversion:Output Options

I kept trying to find it in right-click>Convert Books>Convert Individually or Bulk Convert

Maybe the individual/bulk conversion menu could have a shortcut to the Preferences, or some notation that indicates how the main Preferences have been set? Sort of a "hey, these things are over there if that's what you're wanting to change" Maybe like the hints that "float" on mouseover? I don't know the best way, I just know that I've been avoiding epub format for a long time because I couldn't figure it out, and I hate badgering people who give me nifty software for free. (and it is awesome - Calibre is lightyears ahead of Adobe Digital Editions and Amazon's Kindle-for-PC and pretty much all the Android apps - thank you again!)

The first time I tried to convert epub to epub, it told me there was already an epub and asked me if I really wanted to do that. Now that I've set the Preserve Aspect Ratio in Preferences, I tried epub to epub, but it creates another file and marks one of them an unknown format.

Apparently I need to convert to an intermediary format and then back to epub. LRF seems to work, but is there a particular format that is best for preserving the original image ratios before/during conversion back to epub? Other threads make it clear that some formats don't have the option to preserve aspect ratio. I don't understand enough about the formats to really figure out the best way to do this.

Whenever possible, I've been using plain HTML in my browser. I read primarily on my laptop, which is widescreen, so this and the trouble I have with continuous scrolling (ie, it is continuous only within the chapter, and snaps to the start of the next chapter when the bottom of the page is the end of a chapter) are my main issues with epub format. (Well, that and the graphic novel publishers who bunch up page images in epub when I'd rather just open the uncompressed image folder in Irfanview where I can use the keyboard to zoom/advance, but that's another thing entirely.)
Chrystalline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:15 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

do an epub to epub conversion the original epub becomes a file with the extension file.original_epub so you can restore it if the conversion did something you dont like.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:13 PM   #5
Chrystalline
Enthusiast
Chrystalline began at the beginning.

Device: pc
That doesn't seem to be how it works when I do it?

If I convert epub to epub, it does create another file and label the old with .original_epub, but the new one still has the same stretching issue. If I start from a pre-existing LRF and convert to epub, it still has the stretching issue. If I convert from epub to LRF, remove the epub, and convert the new LRF to epub, it fixes it. I have no idea why, but it seems to be consistent.
Chrystalline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:32 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Make sure you are setting the correct option in the conversion dialog when you are converting and you should be fine. If not, then open a bug report and attach one of these epub files, and I will take a look.