Notices

Old 01-27-2016, 11:31 PM   #1
ccpraveen
Site: tinyurl.com/bukworm
ccpraveen has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle, Bluefire Reader
Question Newbie trying to configure calibre server over the internet with IPV6

Hi all

I hope this is the right place to ask this question. I am pretty new in this site, eventhough I joined years ago. I have been using calibre for quite some time, has successfully enabled calibre server over my windows 10, and I can access the library and download books over my local wifi.

I dont know how to enable the library to be accessed over the internet. I read the calibre manual and it asks me to put the machine IP in the requested field. I have been using my local IP up until now (192.168.0.1). When I tried to configure the internet acccess, something I have never done before, I noticed that my ISP has started using IPV6. IPV6 is totally different from the IPV4 that I am used to, its really long and complicated and I dont even know how to approach this. Also I dont know anything about port forwarding, or even if I would be needing this.

Would someone be kind enough to give some pointers here? Or atleast direct me to a guide someone has posted elsewhere? Thanks for reading. Regards

Last edited by ccpraveen; 01-27-2016 at 11:36 PM.
ccpraveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:20 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You don't need to enable anything in calibre, once the Content Server is running it will be accessible over the Internet.

Port forwarding merely tells other computers how to connect to your computer.

General guide to port forwarding, with descriptions for particular router models: http://portforward.com/english/route...outerindex.htm
Once you've done that, you may want to get a dynamic DNS service like DuckDNS, which will save you from having to worry about the IP address itself.

Last edited by eschwartz; 01-28-2016 at 12:23 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:35 AM   #3
ccpraveen
Site: tinyurl.com/bukworm
ccpraveen has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle, Bluefire Reader
Thanks for the quick reply. While most of this seems foreign to a noob like me, I am sure if I read the guides at both the duckdns and portforward sites, I would find the solution. Much to learn. Thank you again for the guidance.
ccpraveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:47 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Sure. Feel free to ask any questions you have while trying to follow those guides.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:04 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The assumed settings in Calibre GUI are IPV4

I don't know if IPV6 values allowed if you use the CLI

Not having IPV6 from my ISP (and using a old VPN router anyway ), I don't know if modern SOHO routers can map a port forward IPV6(WAN)>IPV4 (LAN)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:45 PM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
It is worth noting that if the ISP supports IPV6 natively then NAT and port forwarding are no longer necessary. Every device behind the IPV6 router is (in theory) visible on the internet. Once IPV6 is turned on then the firewall effects provided by NAT are gone. It becomes very important to ensure that the firewall in the router is effective.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 06:45 PM   #7
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
To set the calibre server for IPV6 go to preferences, tweaks and set the following tweak "ID: server_listen_on" to:
Code:
server_listen_on = '::'
bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote