Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-26-2018, 04:16 AM   #1
Loarctkerd
Loarctkerd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Error when trying to upload file into Sigil

I'm a first-time user of Sigil. I am trying to use Sigil to format a Word document into an EPub format for publication on Kindle.

I downloaded the Sigil User Guide and followed the instructions. I saved my Word .doc file as a filtered .html file. I then tried to upload that file into Sigil. I got the following error in a pink box:

"This page contains the following errors:

error on line 1415 at column 16: Expected '>', but got '[a-zA-Z]'.

Below is a rendering of the page up to the first error."

That is all of the output I receive. There is nothing below the pink box.

Can anyone help me figure out what I did wrong?

Thanks!
Loarctkerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:46 AM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
In Sigil Preferences enable Mend on Open or run Mend on the html file you imported. It should automaticalky repair broken html for you.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2018, 10:31 AM   #3
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
What Kevin said is probably your easiest fix unless you are familiar with html/css coding.

The error basically means Sigil was looking for a tag to be closed properly and instead found an alpha character. The line number should be a good point to start looking for the offending tag.

I would also recommend using Toxaris' Word Addon that does a GREAT job exporting a clean epub that you can easily upload into Sigil for final cleanup.

Cheers,
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 07:48 PM   #4
Loarctkerd

Thanks to both of you!

Turtle, are you a C-17 guy? I've spent a lot of time at Altus over the years. C-17's for about five years.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:01 PM   #5
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sure am...PIQ in '95...58AS twice...now a sim instructor in Altus...
Advert
Old 03-02-2018, 01:25 AM   #6
Loarctkerd

Nice. I was 141's before C-17's. But I did initial qual in '95 as well in the 141. Flying for an airline now. Sometimes I kind of miss Altus.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:22 AM   #7
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loarctkerd View Post
...Sometimes I kind of miss Altus.
Don't say that too loud - or often - the mental health police will track you down! lol

Welcome to MR!
Old 07-11-2020, 05:34 PM   #8
playful
Mammal
playful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmos

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kindle DXG
I'll just mention that I just had this problem even with Mend on.
The problem was a ";" in the file name and in an h1 tag...
Sounds like a bug.
playful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 07:47 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by playful View Post
I'll just mention that I just had this problem even with Mend on.
The problem was a ";" in the file name and in an h1 tag...
Sounds like a bug.
I'm tempted to say, garbage in, garbage out. Either use the Toxaris Word addon for the export from Word or use DiapDealer's DOCX import plugin in Sigil.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:38 PM   #10
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
No, it did not fail to load it. Sigil did load it but Preview (or BookView?) window could not display it and instead indicated exactly what error was. This just means you need to fix it in Sigil's CodeView window.

Last edited by KevinH; 07-11-2020 at 10:41 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:00 AM   #11
playful
Mammal
playful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I'm tempted to say, garbage in, garbage out. Either use the Toxaris Word addon for the export from Word or use DiapDealer's DOCX import plugin in Sigil.
A semi-colon in a file name is not garbage — that's a valid character for a Windows file name. In fact the script takes great pains to convert h1 tags to valid file names, for instance forward slashes get converted to ∕ (an alternative unicode slash), etc.

Thank you very much for mentioning those add-ons. This project does not come close to touching Word, but I'll try to keep those in mind if I do something from Word at some future stage. (I guess I'd have to motivate myself to write some kind of book, or just help someone with that?…)

Last edited by playful; 07-12-2020 at 06:02 AM.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:56 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Valid platform file name characters don't always make for valid (or wise) urls. We try to sanitize and url escape/decode wherever required, but anything other than the basic alphanumeric characters (plus dashes and underlines) in an environment where url manipulation routines abound is just asking for eventual trouble in my opinion.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-12-2020 at 09:00 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:34 AM   #13
playful
Mammal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Valid platform file name characters don't always make for valid (or wise) urls. We try to sanitize and url escape/decode wherever required, but anything other than the basic alphanumeric characters (plus dashes and underlines) in an environment where url manipulation routines abound is just asking for eventual trouble in my opinion.
Different people, different needs.
El inglés no es el único idioma, ¿sabes? Es legítimo desear usar los carácteres específicos al español. For example.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:03 AM   #14
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

That's the same argument used when complaining about css using the proper spelling of 'color'...

There has to be a standard that everyone can agree upon...even if you wish to use specific Spanish language characters.

I have also run across issues with 'invalid' characters that I thought should be otherwise...I just and fix it.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:18 AM   #15
playful
Mammal

Yes, you're right.

Last edited by playful; 07-12-2020 at 10:22 AM.