Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-17-2016, 09:44 AM   #1
painkiller
Enthusiast
painkiller began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, Boox C67ML
Are there custom Android ROMs for M/N96? + question about firmware

Like cyanogenmod or something more "open" like Replicant.. they could really speed up the system and remove built-in crapware

About the firmware.. is it open source?
painkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:57 PM   #2
franzli
Addict
franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Onyx Boox T68 Plus
Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any. Would be quite interested as well. If I find some time,I might actually take this opportunity to try and learn doing something like this myself. Unfortunately, I don't know when i might have that time, definitely not before autumn... :/

Onyx do have an sdk somewhere online which had some sources. I guess the kernel would need to be open source as well due to the gpl. I don't know how much else of the system could be open source, you'd probably have to ask them.
franzli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 05:42 AM   #3
painkiller
Enthusiast
painkiller began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, Boox C67ML
I found that someone has been able to put ubuntu under M92 and some other guys started talking about doing it on M96 too.. I wonder if something has been accomplished
painkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 12:13 PM   #4
franzli
Addict
franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Onyx Boox T68 Plus
Afaik the idea for Linux on the m96 so far hasn't gone beyond the conceptual stadium. While I'd also be interested in having Linux run natively, I think a simple chroot,e.g. with Linux deploy may be even more useful because you keep all the customizations concerning the ereader functionality and get Linux on top of that. The biggest issue with this approach is the relatively weak hardware, which makes running Linux on top of android a bit sluggish. Personally, I've also yet to find a way to access the Linux desktop that meets my needs. Particularly, character encoding is tricky of you want a non-qwerty keyboard layout, as I've mentioned elsewhere. The vnc clients I've tried so far all has problems with that. On other android devices, there's the option of running an android xserver (xsdl xserver), but every time i tried it on my t68, it used about 40%cpu just for doing nothing and was quite slow (in contrast bvnc uses about 7-13% cpu when idle).
franzli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boox n96, custom, firmware, open-source, rom