Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #406
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray View Post
Is this file okay to use it unzipped at 650MB? mmcblk0p1-3.0.2 (factory): https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BwJ...jVuM0FXUzd4d00
That is a bad URL. It has "..." inside it. You need to copy the link from the edit box, not the post.

However, one of the images posted was reported to have a .gz file inside a .zip file, so needs to be extracted twice.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:24 PM   #407
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by shihman View Post
Failed to initial flash or Do not support this Flash, please reset the target
[...]
After a few minutes, I hear it unmounting and mounting again and then again, and then again. LOL.

Officially broken?
I fear that might be the case... It sounds like that "constant reboot" thing we have been seeing often here lately. I think there's some consensus that a drained battery might be causing such behaviour, some internal hardware faults might, too. Sorry.

A bit of explanation: The power via USB alone is unfortunately not enough by itself to keep the device running for recovery - a working, charged (to some extent) battery seems to be absolutely mandatory. (Unfortunate, BTW, since the Kindles would make great display devices even when the battery is broken.)
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #408
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
On the DX (and DXG) there is a bug in the kernel panic routine that instead of halting, it runs in a tight loop.

No one has been watching for that on the K3 but my guess is that the same problem exists in that kernel also.

More on the "good news" list -
The Kindle Paperwhite can not be run on external power, it requires the Amazon battery to be installed (that was demonstrated in one of the posted teardown videos).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #409
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
That is a bad URL. It has "..." inside it. You need to copy the link from the edit box, not the post.
However, one of the images posted was reported to have a .gz file inside a .zip file, so needs to be extracted twice.
IIRC the dropbox link is an exact mirror of that, so both are really rootfs.img.gz.zip.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #410
xray
xray got an A in P-Chem.xray got an A in P-Chem.xray got an A in P-Chem.xray got an A in P-Chem.xray got an A in P-Chem.xray got an A in P-Chem.xray got an A in P-Chem.xray got an A in P-Chem.xray got an A in P-Chem.xray got an A in P-Chem.xray got an A in P-Chem.

Device: kindle keyboard
Okay I think I have it figured out. After unzipping pt1 click on new file to open then extract the file inside and it extracts and is now 650MB. I cannot wait for my kindle to get charged so I can try it.
xray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #411
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Okay I think I have it figured out. After unzipping pt1 click on new file to open then extract the file inside and it extracts and is now 650MB. I cannot wait for my kindle to get charged so I can try it.
That sounds about right.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:57 AM   #412
TwoPointFive
TwoPointFive began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 v3.0.2
I just did this procedure with my Kindle 3 with SO and it works GREAT!

It downgraded from 3.4 to 3.0.2 and the special offers are gone and original screensavers are back. Does anyone know if it will try to update back to 3.4 again once I get on wi-fi or 3G, or maybe this is a fix to remove special offers? I personally prefer the 3.0.2 version. It's what I originally had on it last year. I love how the location you are at in a book is displayed on the bottom and you don't have to hit menu for it to display because it's hidden with 3.4.
If it does update then I guess I'll have to flash it all over again and not turn on the wi-fi or 3G LoL
TwoPointFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #413
qlob
Official Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPointFive View Post
I just did this procedure with my Kindle 3 with SO and it works GREAT!
It downgraded from 3.4 to 3.0.2 and the special offers are gone and original screensavers are back. Does anyone know if it will try to update back to 3.4 again once I get on wi-fi or 3G, or maybe this is a fix to remove special offers? I personally prefer the 3.0.2 version. It's what I originally had on it last year. I love how the location you are at in a book is displayed on the bottom and you don't have to hit menu for it to display because it's hidden with 3.4.
If it does update then I guess I'll have to flash it all over again and not turn on the wi-fi or 3G LoL
When I reflashed mine, It updated all the way to 3.4 without me telling it to. So either use airplane mode the whole time or disable over the air updates with a hack.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:53 PM   #414
Noope
Noope can extract oil from cheeseNoope can extract oil from cheeseNoope can extract oil from cheeseNoope can extract oil from cheeseNoope can extract oil from cheeseNoope can extract oil from cheeseNoope can extract oil from cheeseNoope can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard 3G
Smile

hey, i have a big problem, I installed duokan evrything worked fine, both kindle os and duokan too, then i installed swich between os via launch pad thing, I boot in Kindle OS than tried to go to duokan wiht shift d e keys and i got failure and some error, than i tried restart with swiching power button green start flashing realese than i get a blan white screen. Pls help.

Edit: Hard reset slowed my problem. I installed the old version of launch pad ini. Now its worked fine. Sry for my panic.

Last edited by Noope; 11-17-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Noope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:40 PM   #415
TwoPointFive
TwoPointFive began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 v3.0.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlob View Post
When I reflashed mine, It updated all the way to 3.4 without me telling it to. So either use airplane mode the whole time or disable over the air updates with a hack.
I've looked and can't find any hack to disable ota updates. I logged onto my amazon account and see that the next time i get on wi-fi or 3G it will update.
TwoPointFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:49 PM   #416
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPointFive View Post
I've looked and can't find any hack to disable ota updates. I logged onto my amazon account and see that the next time i get on wi-fi or 3G it will update.
When you use wifi, are you connecting through a router that you control?

If so, there is a list of IP address ranges that you can block in your router that will (**should**) keep your Kindle from calling home.

NOTE: That list was made from Kindle behaviors prior to Kpw.
Which may (or may not) be different.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:40 AM   #417
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
There are many ways how to disable updates.

You can remove the Amazon key (or overwrite it with the hack key),
you can change the minimum battery charge level for performing an update to 115 % (or anything higher than 100 %), you can modify script process_update, you can create a fake temporary update file (partial download) bigger than the true update file, you can even change the firmware version information to 3.4 or higher ...
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:09 AM   #418
xray
xray got an A in P-Chem.xray got an A in P-Chem.xray got an A in P-Chem.xray got an A in P-Chem.xray got an A in P-Chem.xray got an A in P-Chem.xray got an A in P-Chem.xray got an A in P-Chem.xray got an A in P-Chem.xray got an A in P-Chem.xray got an A in P-Chem.

Okay I charged my k3 for 4 days and tried to debrick. The kernel loaded fine then I started loading the root bin. After about an hour it gave me the message connection lost. tried to put k3 back into bootstrap mode with no luck. charged a couple of hours then it went into bootstrap but lost connection after about 4 minutes. When I put k3 on charge the yellow light turns off after about 1 to 2hrs. If I unplug then plug back in the yellow light turns back on for about 1 to 2hrs again. after 3 days it never goes green. What do i do?
Old 11-21-2012, 09:16 AM   #419
qlob
Official Lurker

Quote:
Okay I charged my k3 for 4 days and tried to debrick. The kernel loaded fine then I started loading the root bin. After about an hour it gave me the message connection lost. tried to put k3 back into bootstrap mode with no luck. charged a couple of hours then it went into bootstrap but lost connection after about 4 minutes. When I put k3 on charge the yellow light turns off after about 1 to 2hrs. If I unplug then plug back in the yellow light turns back on for about 1 to 2hrs again. after 3 days it never goes green. What do i do?
Don't ever trust the light when debricking, as the battery and light management are handled by the part of the kindle that is bricked.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:17 AM   #420
xray

Okay so any Idea why after charging for 4 days it would not complete the debrick?

Tags
debrick, debricking, howto, kindle 3