Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-07-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Battery Icon and Book title on Kindle 3 and Kindle DX

Hi,

I've noticed, especially on my Kindle 3, that battery icon/indicator and book's title sometimes appear, sometimes not, on top; I think after checking dictionary they just pop up there. On my Kindle DXG, I believe they are always on.

Are they always off on Kindle 3 and always "on" on Kindle DXG, do we have anyway to configure that via Kindle settings?

Thanks in advance,
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 05:59 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
There is no setting that I know of... and I just checked on my DXG and K3 and they both have the title and battery... all the time
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:31 PM   #3
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
There is no setting that I know of... and I just checked on my DXG and K3 and they both have the title and battery... all the time
Hmm...weird, mine does not... which firmware? ...
Old 12-08-2010, 03:30 AM   #4
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Hi OP - the Title and Battery Icon at the top do disappear while reading after a few moments. This is a feature of the latest gen Kindle. I personally like it because I don't need to see these while reading. You can simply press menu if you need to look at it at any time - once you turn the menu off, it disappears again.

You cannot change how this works in any way unless someone has made a hack for it.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:18 AM   #5
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Why would anyone want to change this new feature anyhow and lose valuable screen real estate....?
terencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:45 AM   #6
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindleWorm View Post
Hi OP - the Title and Battery Icon at the top do disappear while reading after a few moments. This is a feature of the latest gen Kindle. I personally like it because I don't need to see these while reading. You can simply press menu if you need to look at it at any time - once you turn the menu off, it disappears again.

You cannot change how this works in any way unless someone has made a hack for it.
It confirms my suspicion, a firmware change! I've preferred leave that as an option, instead of forcing the user, like in Linux boxes, where you can customize almost everything. I find it useful instead of distracting, but maybe saves battery some way, I don't know.

Thanks for clarifying ..
Old 12-08-2010, 11:52 AM   #7
vermontcathy
Connoisseur
vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 11, PW5, Oasis
It's not a firmware difference. The K3 shows the title bar with time & wireless status when you first go into a book, and then it goes away the first time you change a page (it has nothing to do with time - it doesn't go away "after a few moments"). One exception is magazines/periodicals. It shows the title bar all the time while reading these.
vermontcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:17 PM   #8
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontcathy View Post
It's not a firmware difference. The K3 shows the title bar with time & wireless status when you first go into a book, and then it goes away the first time you change a page (it has nothing to do with time - it doesn't go away "after a few moments"). One exception is magazines/periodicals. It shows the title bar all the time while reading these.
And who controls that? The software/firmware ... ... in other words, it's not hardware related. I thought was not a normal behavior but now it's clear to me.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:24 PM   #9
vermontcathy
Connoisseur
vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 11, PW5, Oasis
Oh, I think I misunderstood somewhat. When you said firmware update, I thought you meant some people with K3s had the update and some didn't, causing some people to supposedly always have the title bar there (as one person claimed incorrectly). You are right that it is due to an update/change in the software from K2 to K3.
vermontcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:33 PM   #10
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontcathy View Post
Oh, I think I misunderstood somewhat. When you said firmware update, I thought you meant some people with K3s had the update and some didn't, causing some people to supposedly always have the title bar there (as one person claimed incorrectly). You are right that it is due to an update/change in the software from K2 to K3.

Right! But not big deal, I can live with it ... just wanted to know if there was something wrong with my DX (I bought the Kindle 3 just recently, the DX 1st)

Thanks for reply,
Old 12-08-2010, 12:33 PM   #11
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Yes it is simply a feature of the new 3rd Gen Kindles - so everyone with a new K3 6" Kindle will see the same behaviour regardless of what firmware update they have from Amazon.

And yes vermontcathy it does go off after you move to another page - I thought it also went off after a period of time if you didn't change the page but I'm probably wrong on that because to be honest I just stop noticing it anyway even when it is displayed.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:49 PM   #12
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Well, updating the display to show CURRENT time, that is, updating the clock display might take more power than hiding it except when the Menu key is pressed. Not much but some. I think it is more - let's provide another line or two of text in read mode.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:23 PM   #13
Dasha
Connoisseur
Dasha began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Smile Can I change the Page color of my eBooks

Hi I am a Newbie I have bought a Kindle 3 and I wanted to know if I can change anything so that when I open a Book or any book, all books' it will show the pages as a Different color eg; so it looks like a normal book "Page' as in "Off White"? I do not like the default color of the Screen and would prefer to change it it's not a big deal just would be nicer to look at.

If so could someone please tell me how to do this Regards Dasha
Dasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:58 PM   #14
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
I am not aware of any way to change the screen color, Dasha.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:52 PM   #15
Dasha
Connoisseur
Dasha began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Thanks For That sorry I was so long replying Dasha
Dasha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery icon, battery indicator