Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-28-2011, 11:26 AM   #16
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortissimo View Post
Is it possible for the glass to get progressively weakened over time? And then one day, all of a sudden it just cracks with little or no pressure like the OP describes?
Fort, I told you not to worry too much!!! Just use it and all will be good. Trust me.

I am reading in bed and fall asleep while doing so at least twice a day with my reader still open in my hands. Sometimes I wake up at night clutching the case. My reader is in my handbag whenever I leave the house. Or sometimes in the pocket of my coat. It looks like new. Just never take it out of its cover and never sit on it. Thats it.

There does no buildup of screencrack over time exist. Enjoy it and stop worrying, please!
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:56 AM   #17
Fortissimo
Connoisseur
Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony Reader Touch Edition (PRS-650BC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Fort, I told you not to worry too much!!! Just use it and all will be good. Trust me. Enjoy it and stop worrying, please!
Ok, mam.
Fortissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:12 AM   #18
tahunasky
tahunasky began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-650
This looks very similar to a problem i had. I had lines down the screen, and also every second line apeared not to be displayed.
I had contacted sony and they said to send in for exchange.
So after a week, i decided to box it up, but before i wanted to copy all books etc of reader.. Plugged into the laptop, and was starting to copy files, when the "CHARGING" message came on the screen after about 2 minutes, and then it started to work properly again.
I think its a bug in the firmware... because my one has never been dropped etc.
I like my e-reader but i am starting to think is might actually be another crappy sony product.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony reader_screen capture_1.JPG
Views:	295
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	68366   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony reader_screen capture_2.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	68367  
tahunasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:22 AM   #19
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Ereader screens are not hard to break. My husband had his in his briefcase in a cover, and he had also put a wine bottle in the briefcase to bring home on the train. The pressure of the bottle against the screen cracked it quite nicely.
That's how my SO broke the Sony 505, only with a sunglass case. They were both in the front laptop pocket, and shifted just enough to where the solid sunglass case was pressing on the reader with the pocket zipped. Ironically, the light wedge reading case was on it and it still pressed through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahunasky View Post
This looks very similar to a problem i had. I had lines down the screen, and also every second line apeared not to be displayed.
So after a week, i decided to box it up, but before i wanted to copy all books etc of reader.. Plugged into the laptop, and was starting to copy files, when the "CHARGING" message came on the screen after about 2 minutes, and then it started to work properly again.
I like my e-reader but i am starting to think is might actually be another crappy sony product.
I've never seen that one before. That looks much different to me with that symmetrical pattern.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:25 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I have a 650 and the screen has not gone wonky.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:56 AM   #21
tahunasky
tahunasky began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
I've never seen that one before. That looks much different to me with that symmetrical pattern.
Before the patterns i had lines all over the "loading book" screen.. it never got past that point..
tahunasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:24 PM   #22
ReaderSpouse
ReaderSpouse has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ReaderSpouse has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ReaderSpouse has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ReaderSpouse has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by glarus View Post
Hi folks,
I got my prs-650 8 days ago. Yesterday, after switching it on from stand by, I was terified to see the screen in the following state
Heya, wanted to show solidarity. My wife put down her ebook last month on a towel and when she picked it up 10 minutes later it had a totally cracked substrate. Out of warranty so there's nothing we could do except buy another ebook (we're still looking at models). We're guessing the right thing to do is to buy new and get an extended warranty. What do you think?
ReaderSpouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:42 PM   #23
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
I have only just realised that US consumer law seems to be well behind UK, seeing remarks aboutStore warranty of 3o days etc.. . Or have I been reading the wrong bits of posts - or just misunderstood ?
We have the Sale of Goods Act which simply states that the goods must be fit for the purpose they are sold for - if they're not, you get a replacement/reimbursed. Also the Warranty period is generally at least a year, but this is over-ridden by the "reasonable time" clause, which usually means the end of " hard luck, your Warranty finished yesterday."
And, a very important point, the buyers contract is with the seller - not the manufacturer, so the seller is responsible for sorting it out, and is the one liable in proceedings.
Is this so different to US practise ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:45 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glarus View Post
Hi folks,
I got my prs-650 8 days ago. Yesterday, after switching it on from stand by, I was terified to see the screen in the following state:

Do you think that this is a broken screen? I know that its rather obvious, however, I find it hard to believe it. It was working ok, but 10 mins later the screen was in this state. No one touched the divice in this period.

Regards,
Glarus
Um.. I cannot comment on your screen since I cannot actually see the photo. Please post it again so it can be seen. The site it is on is not valid.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:47 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yours is a screen controller issue. And since it's still under warranty, I suggest you call Sony and get it swapped out as there's a very good chance it could fail sometime after the warranty.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:26 PM   #26
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yours is a screen controller issue. And since it's still under warranty, I suggest you call Sony and get it swapped out as there's a very good chance it could fail sometime after the warranty.
Could be a faulty EPD controller, or could be a loose connector cable.

... aaaand, if anyone is in the market for an ereader I hear the Kobo Touch is nice.
</blatant plug>
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:04 AM   #27
sonyreaderfan
Groupie
sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader Prs 950, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
... aaaand, if anyone is in the market for an ereader I hear the Kobo Touch is nice.
</blatant plug>
I think Kobo would be a good alternative if ...

Kobo makes it a no-compromise device. Sony Reader is more of a no-compromise device. You don't have to give up features. If a Sony Reader owner is going to a Kobo ereader, he/she would be shocked by the amount of compromises on a Kobo ereader. Some huge ones:

- No dictionary support on side-loaded contents
- Kobo iOS app has no search function. How would an app lack such a fundamental feature who knows.
- No highlights support on side-loaded contents
- No collections to organize books
- No reflow of pdf. Sony has way better pdf support.

A much better alternative to Kobo would be the Nook 2 or Kindle, if epub support is not needed.

Kobo imo is the weakest of all the big 4 ereaders. The only thing going for it is it has the cheapest price for a touch ereader, but with only a $10 difference between it and Nook 2, the difference is not worth getting a Kobo instead of a Nook 2.

I don't know if the compromises are corporate decisions (such as limitations on side-loaded contents) but Kobo would be a viable option only if they fix the compromises.

Last edited by sonyreaderfan; 06-28-2011 at 10:29 PM.
sonyreaderfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ereader, prs-650, prs650, sony reader