Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-06-2010, 01:32 PM   #1
Bromius
Bromius began at the beginning.

Device: none
Impossible Time Importing a large library

I have a very large e-book collection. About 7000 books total, about 4000 of them are PDFs. Right now I'm just dealing with the PDFs.

First off, is calibre just not the tool for me? It seems like as soon as I get 1500 or so books into the database it begins to get really picky. It hangs constantly and I'm reduced to adding each book singly. I'm about a third of the way through my PDFs and the pace is maddeningly slow.

The problem is that the naming structure of my PDFs is not uniform. I am intending to load them all into calibre then use calibr to re-name, re-title, re-attribute my books so that I can organize them better. I have sorted the entire collection into individual directories based on the alphabetical order of the filename, but that has only a loose association with the order of books based on author or title.

Is there a way to get better stability out of calibre? or a better option for me?
Bromius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bromius View Post
It seems like as soon as I get 1500 or so books into the database it begins to get really picky. It hangs constantly and I'm reduced to adding each book singly. I'm about a third of the way through my PDFs and the pace is maddeningly slow.
I have 14K books, most with 2-3 formats. I find Calibre to be quick and stable. I seldom hear about any speed or stability problems. (There were some fantastic speed improvements recently, so be sure to use a recent version.)
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2010, 03:37 PM   #3
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:

I have a very large e-book collection. About 7000 books total, about 4000 of them are PDFs. Right now I'm just dealing with the PDFs.

First off, is calibre just not the tool for me? It seems like as soon as I get 1500 or so books into the database it begins to get really picky. It hangs constantly and I'm reduced to adding each book singly. I'm about a third of the way through my PDFs and the pace is maddeningly slow.

The problem is that the naming structure of my PDFs is not uniform. I am intending to load them all into calibre then use calibr to re-name, re-title, re-attribute my books so that I can organize them better. I have sorted the entire collection into individual directories based on the alphabetical order of the filename, but that has only a loose association with the order of books based on author or title.

Is there a way to get better stability out of calibre? or a better option for me?
to be honest I did a similiar large batch and found it a much better option to rename all files BEFORE putting into Calibre.

Author book title series number

Arthur C Clarke - Frankenstein - Horror Mysteries 3

if your on mac I recommend 'rename'.

it really does make things a million times simpler imo.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
Bromius
Bromius began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is it possible to corrupt PDFs by copying them (or failing to copy them)? A lot of my PDFs are coming up with misalligned objects and missing XREF chunks.

I don't think it has anything to do with calibre because it's happening even before I touch them with calibre. But I juggled a lot of them arround trying to get them into smaller collections for import.

I just wiped all the PDFs from my HDD and uninstalled calibre. Going to re-install calibre then restore my books from back-ups and start fresh.

Is there a decent renaming utility for Windows? I'm thinking that will be my best bet.
Bromius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:40 PM   #5
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I added 40,000+ files and it took quite a while. It has also taken quite a while to sort through them and find the best copies etc as I had a fair amount of duplication.

My advice is to name/rename the books in Calibre to the original published title.

I had started out renaming all my books to include author and series in the file name and had to redo all of these in order to get metadata etc.

As to pdf's some older ones do not display correctly in newer versions of adobe reader and vice versa. They can usually be converted or fixed but not always worth the effort.

I did the brute force method, adding them all at once with merge the filenames checked then went through author by author downloading covers and metatdata and using a custom field to note problems with formatting etc. When I am finished with this I will then fix whatever ones I can which should be most

In many cases Calibre got the correct title and author from the metadata stored in the file.
There are lots of threads with regex's that will corectly deduce the correct author title from a group of similarly named files. I stumbled across them too late and am glad as I would probably still be importing instead of almost done with the organizational part.

It is a lot of work, but eventually you will end up with a nicely organized library and you can export your books in pretty well any way you want when this is done.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2010, 06:45 PM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Is there a decent renaming utility for Windows? I'm thinking that will be my best bet.
For dedicated ebook renaming, try BookSorter
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote