Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-06-2010, 06:25 PM   #16
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
The Millenium trilogy, now that's a good series. It's been an immensely success first the books and now the films. Glad to see some Swedish authors making it outside of Sweden.
I'm still trying to track down copies of the film(s? I thought there was just one?) with English subtitles. But I'm very, very, very nervous about the rumours out of Hollyweird - Brad Pitt as Mikael Blomkvist?
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:07 PM   #17
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
I must agree the dictionary is priceless. Especially for me since my native language is not English. Reading the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik I stumbled across words on every page I didn't know. The dictionary helped me through and I came out on the other end with a whole bunch of new words in my vocabulary.

One feature that would top it all off would be if the TTS could pronounce the word for you in the same moment you look it up in the dictionary.
very VERY good series! this is an example of Amazon doing the right kind of customer baiting. I got the first book when it was a freebie, and when I finished it I bought the rest of the series, didn't even wait to go book by book! I can't wait until the next one comes out!!!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2010, 12:33 AM   #18
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
thinakpadx, I am in a similar situation---I read in a second language and use the dictionary feature for that purpose. I used to only read in French when I was near a computer so I could use Google Translator. I love having it all on-board like that.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:06 AM   #19
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardoz View Post
I'm still trying to track down copies of the film(s? I thought there was just one?) with English subtitles. But I'm very, very, very nervous about the rumours out of Hollyweird - Brad Pitt as Mikael Blomkvist?
There's currently two films out:
Män som hatar kvinnor (available as dvd)
and
Flickan som lekte med elden (available as dvd)
the third one is on its way
Luftslottet som sprängdes (not yet out as dvd)

It looks like the films hasn't reached every where yet especially not with subs in English.

In my own opinion the books are way better than the films.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:23 AM   #20
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
very VERY good series! this is an example of Amazon doing the right kind of customer baiting. I got the first book when it was a freebie,
Think I got the first book in the series by a blog tips but then it wasn't a freebie any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I can't wait until the next one comes out!!!
Me to, I will definitely get the next one when it comes out.

This series has actually made me look into other books about dragons. So far I've picked up, but not yet read, two other books from Amazon after tips by users here on MR:
Tea with the Black Dragon
http://www.amazon.com/Tea-Black-Drag.../dp/B000FC18W2

Dragonhaven
http://www.amazon.com/Dragonhaven-ebook/dp/B000W969QS
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2010, 08:44 PM   #21
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by parias1126 View Post
I just bought a sony 900 yesterday and so far I love it. The prices in the Kindle store seem soooo much better though! I still have time to return if I choose so I just wanted some feedback from those of you with Kindles that have been using them for a while and shop the Amazon store as opposed to others.

Do you have the capability to shop other ebook stores?

Can you view news feeds such as PC World, Mac World, etc. as I can on my Sony with Calibre?

Im very new to the whole ebook device thing! I have researched and researched before making my decision. WAs going to purchase Dear John this morning to read and the difference in price was like $6!!!! $9.99 on Sony and everything else and about $4 on Amazon!

Do you use your text-to-speech often?

What other feature do you like on the Kindle ?

Why did you go with Kindle and not another device despite the DRM issues ?

Thanks!
I actually like the TTS on the K2i...it's pretty good, not perfect of course but good. I find it most useful when I am reading but there are many distractions where I am reading or I am just having a hard time focusing in on the reading, then I just pop into the headphone jack and read along with the voice. I have fiddled with using TTS as an automagic page turning tool (just activate it and turn the volume waaay down and essentially off) but the timing can sometimes be frustrating, but after a bit you get into it well enough for some hands-free reading.

I use the web browser a lot...never use the note taking tools, but I only read fiction on my device for now so, why clutter it with notes.

I dislike the all white case (at least the top part) because I like to read in full sun, which is a bonus of an eink brand panel, it's actually better than most paper for reading in the direct sunlight. Anyway, I bought a really nice black rubberized-silicone cover for mine on Amazon for $7.50 and now, other than the keyboard there is no white case to deal with, plus it's a lot easier to hang onto.

I dislike the library management on the Kindles and I also had a K1 which was no different than the K2 in this area...flatly the library management sucks. Probably because there really is none...I shudder to imagine how anyone would manage 100ish books on the device let alone the near to 1500 or so it could theoretically hold. What I have done is setup my own directory structure to match my computer and just copy the titles over manually or if I use Whispernet I will later move the new title where I want it...but the on device library organization/management is worse than that of a decade old PDA.

The one and only reason I have a K2i is I bought mine for $159 because I ran across a $100 device credit offer when you created a new subscription on Audible for $14.95.mo...and since I do this every year anyway, well, it was worth it to me...otherwise I would have bought the Pocketbook 360 in black.

I also do not like the joy-stick thingy...it's horrible as it's too small for even average sized male hands, and with the silicone skin/cover it is very difficult to use and I already have a hard time using it w/o the skin. But I can work with it for now.

If book prices are what you are after, I am not sure even a Kindle is the best option...as the independent online shops are being swallowed up by the bigger fish every day, there will once again be only 3-4 real buying options and each is likely to have their own devices and formats...

I would say, a deciding factor for me in not ever buying a Sony is they are a hardware company and will abandon you as fast as you can say WTF?!! Happened with the Clie PDA's and many other hardware platforms from Sony over the years...and when the kill a product, they freaking kill a product. Though with the B&N link they are less likely to make such a move in the hear future.

Still, I think the 900 is a neat device and I liked fiddling with it for a bit when I had the chance recently. I like the landscape 2-up page layout...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote