Notices

Old 10-15-2009, 10:59 AM   #1
StanByk
Connoisseur
StanByk began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Large library/calibre interface

Hi,
I really like calibre, but I struggle with its "book management" capabilites. What I mean is that with big libraries it becomes difficult to find books. I could obviously use the search function, but what I would also find very useful is an itunes like user interface, where books can be sorted according to Genre/Tag, then by authors, and then book titles.
I guess this could be implemented as a optional view rather then the default view.

Just to make sure that I am not making a fool out of myself, this doesn't exist already, does it?
Regards
Robert
StanByk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:22 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Have you tried clicking on the big "Tag" symbol at the bottom right of the screen? This brings up a structured view.

A bookshelf style grid view is on the list of things to be added in the future.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2009, 12:48 PM   #3
StanByk
Connoisseur

Thank you itimpi,
I wasn't aware of this view.
It is definitely a step in the right direction of what I would want.
To make it perfect for me, I would need the possibility to add a second layer on top of that. E.g. Select one of the tags, then get a list of authors rather than books, then select an author to see what books he/she wrote that would fall into this genre.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:56 PM   #4
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
You can combine the tag selections with your own search queries. Author selection combined with your selected genre tag would accomplish what you've described. You can select more than one tag as well as other items in the tag view listing. Actually, you can add your own custom search queries into the search bar in addition to what is filled in via the tag listing.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:08 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yeah, calibre's system is actually far more flexible than a system of hierarchical tags. For example to do what you described you click on the tag then on the author and you will see books that have that tag and are by that author.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2009, 08:22 PM   #6
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
Large Calibre.

get it? tee hee.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:56 PM   #7
StanByk
Connoisseur

Not sure if this really solves my problem. What I want to achieve is, that once I have selected a tag, the list of authors is restricted to only authors that have at least one book with that tag. Once I click on the author I should then be presented with books by this author that have this tag.
While I think calibre's system is indeed great, I can't seem to figure out how to achieve what I want.
It seems counter intuitive to me to still have to deal with a full list of authors after I have restricted my search to one particular tag. Especially with many authors this becomes a big pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Yeah, calibre's system is actually far more flexible than a system of hierarchical tags. For example to do what you described you click on the tag then on the author and you will see books that have that tag and are by that author.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:14 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah you want the list of authors to be restricted as well as the list of books. Yeah you can't do that in the tag view.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:43 PM   #9
StanByk
Connoisseur

What a shame...
Anyway, let me take the chance to thank you for giving calibre away for free. It is by far the best solution out there. I use it as my principle ebook managing solution as well as for converting ebooks into different formats. And occasionally also to download news.

Just one last quick question, is it possible to print out selected book covers?
Since one can't really put eboooks onto a book shelf :-) I though I could print out the covers in A5 and put them into an A5 ring binder, which in turn I could put onto my book shelf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Ah you want the list of authors to be restricted as well as the list of books. Yeah you can't do that in the tag view.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:55 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The book covers are stored as jpg files in your library folders. You can use whatever image program you like to print them.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:41 PM   #11
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Note that you could achieve what you want by adding author:authorname to the search string that is displayed in the Search box after you have clicked the tag. Not as easy a point-and-click on the authorname but it would achieve what you wanted and only show books matching those criteria.

Learning the extended search syntax might mean you could restrict book display as you wanted.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:34 AM   #12
StanByk
Connoisseur

Hi itimpi,

I think there might be a misunderstanding here. I will not be able to type in author:authorname because I do not know the name of the author I am looking for. I want to be presented a list of all authors in my library, which have at least one book with a specific tag.

Just as an example: Today I feel like reading a thriller. So I open up calibre and select the tag "thriller". I now see a list of authors which all have published at least one thriller. I do not want to see any other authors in that list. I will then browse through this list until I see an author that interests me. I then click on this author and as a consequence of this click I am presented with a list of thrillers this author has written.
I guess this is not possible at the moment. I can obviously live with it, but it would nevertheless be a nice to be able to (optionally) browse your library this way.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:20 AM   #13
itimpi
Wizard

That was what I said by the fact that you cannot do the thing by clicking.

You would have started with tag:tagname in the search box which would show books with that tag type. When you see an author the add the author:authorname value as well to the search box as an additional criteria and you will be shown all book by that author with that tag.

It might be worth raising a ticket for a feature request where a right-click on an item has a menu item of "add to search criteria". Then you could get exactly what you want without typing anything in. Might want a complementary "remove frrm search critieria" entry to complete not needing to use a keyboard. In fact thinking about it I am going to head over to Kovid's site to raise such a request myself.

Edit: Done

Last edited by itimpi; 10-19-2009 at 11:05 AM.