Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-04-2009, 09:52 PM   #1
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
How large is your Calibre library?

I've been adding te books in my library to Calibre, and have only added around one fifth or one quarter (about 1000 books) so far (most downloaded from MR, thanks to all the contributors!) and I find that Calibre is slower than I'd really like (on a Core2Duo). I'm wondering what things will be like as I add more books. I don't feel that my library is particularly large, but I haven't seen too many complaints about Calibre's user interface speed. Is everyone just more tolerant than I am?
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:20 PM   #2
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I'm at about 700 books right now and it seems fine to me. A small lag when I first start the program, but my macbook is two years old, so every program has a small lag when you load it
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2009, 11:03 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
My calibre library is up near ficbot's, and I haven't noticed any serious lag.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:28 PM   #4
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
About a thousand or so. MacBook is 2 years old, so like ficbot, speed is same as most programs.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:42 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
One thing that DOES affect speed dramatically is running with your library on a network share. The latest versions of Calibre have options (via an environment variable setting) to have the metadata.db file locally and the book files on the share. This gets back to about the same speed as running everything locally.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2009, 01:29 AM   #6
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
I have about 2700 books in my library. I ran the program and timed a few things. It takes 18 seconds to open and fully populate the library. It takes 4 seconds to compete a keyword search. It takes 20 seconds to add 12 ebooks.

These times seem fast enough to me.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:19 AM   #7
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Thanks for the replies. I'm glad Calibre is performing fast enough for you guys.

I was more wondering, though, whether anybody felt that it slowed down significantly over time as more books were added. To me, Calibre is already too slow (run it side by side with something like iTunes for comparison) for a library app so I'm wondering if when I add the rest of my books it will get even slower. Then I should look around for an alternative and keep Calibre for things like conversion and meta-data editing instead.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:17 AM   #8
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I have not noticed very much slowdown as the numbers get larger (I have about 8000 in my library). Having said that a lot of people use Calibre from the command Line which is much faster.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:27 AM   #9
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Mine is relatively small at only about 300 book but it is nice and snappy on my Mac
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:42 PM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
My calibre library is up near ficbot's, and I haven't noticed any serious lag.
I should add that I'm on a laptop with a 1.7G Pentium M CPU.

If you're having problems even though you have a much better computer, then I have to wonder what else you have running in the background.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:23 PM   #11
gfoster
gfoster began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
I have about 800 or so books in my library and it's pretty snappy for me.
gfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:44 AM   #12
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
If you're running Linux, I found yesterday that removing gnome-screensaver and gnome-power-management loosened things up a lot. xscreensaver seems to be fine. I'm on Xubuntu, so I don't really need them.

m a r
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:59 AM   #13
gragra
gragra began at the beginning.

Device: 505 sony ereader
New one month old 505 and stacking up 155 ,more to come.
gragra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:58 AM   #14
JohnDoe
JohnDoe began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
1663 books so far (quickly growing!) on a Win7 system, and it's very responsive.
JohnDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:34 PM   #15
LessPaul
Connoisseur
LessPaul doesn't litterLessPaul doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021 / PC / iPad
A little over 7200 books. I am seeing reasonable performance. My system is a Quad-core at 2.8GHZ, so your mileage might vary.
LessPaul is offline   Reply With Quote