Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-01-2009, 12:46 PM   #1
hairybiker
Banned
hairybiker began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino Shine 3
Window size problem

Running Linux Mint 7, 32bit, NVidia driver, Compiz enabled.

Just had to re-install due to a hdd crash and now when I start Calibre the main screen extends over to the next "Desk"
I have tried resize, but it only allows me to make it bigger not smaller. I have tried disabling compiz incase it was an issue with it, deleting the .config/calibre folder but no difference.

Is there anything else I can change?
hairybiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:20 PM   #2
hairybiker
Banned

Ok fixed it by running calibre as su, then resetting the permissions on the .config/calibre folder.
Advert
Old 10-06-2009, 03:18 PM   #3
iain_benson
Connoisseur
iain_benson began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
This keeps happening to me on Snow Leopard with Calibre 0.6.16.
Every so often, when I launch Calibre it extends the window over all three virtual desktops, and won't let me shrink it. The only way to recover it seems to be to delete the ~/Library/Preferences/calibre.
iain_benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:50 AM   #4
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
in ~/.config/calibre/gui.py (will be in a different location on non Linux machines) delete the main_window_geometry value.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:25 AM   #5
iain_benson
Connoisseur

I did try that, however that just moved the window so it was centred, but it remained huge!
Advert
Old 10-08-2009, 11:16 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
IIRC the size is remembered in ~/Library/Preferences/calibre/dynamic.pickle
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:15 AM   #7
iain_benson
Connoisseur

Deleting ~/Library/Preferences/calibre/dynamic.pickle and removing main_window_geometry from ~/Library/Preferences/calibre/gui.py didn't seem to be enough! Deleting everything from the directory does seem to though, but it looses all the other settings!

Last edited by iain_benson; 10-10-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:11 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's weird. IIRC GUI related settings are stored in only those two files. Can you delete the files one by one to figure out which file is causing the problem. That will help me figure out why its happening.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:01 PM   #9
iain_benson
Connoisseur

Okay, I backed up the contents of the preferences directory, restoring the files between each step below:
- deleting dynamic.pickle on its own - no effect, wizard appears
- removing main_window_geometry from gui.py - centered window, still big
- deleting dynamic.pickle and removing main_window_geometry from gui.py - centered window, still big, wizard appears
- deleting gui.py only - problem sorted, no wizard but settings reset
So, it's presumably something in gui.py ...

Removing settings one at a time from gui.py narrowed it down to the main_search_history setting.
I have some very long queries in there (due to the dodgy SQL feature I added) the result being it sizes the drop down filter history list to try and fit the longest, so my own fault really I suppose - generally people won't have long filters in there, so won't see that the size of the widget is unconstrained.

Can you tell I break software for a living?
Old 10-11-2009, 03:07 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I've committed a fix, but for it to work start with a normal sized window and only then add your very long strings to the search box.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:29 AM   #11
hairybiker
Banned

Just had it happen again. I closed it last night on full screen, but this morning it was 1.5 screens width.
Tried removing the data in the search but still the same.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:50 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@hairybiker: Your case is likely caused by something else. You'll have to follow the same procedure as Ian to figure out what's causing it.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:54 AM   #13
hairybiker
Banned

Again running as su fixes the issue. I didn't need to delete anything, just run as su then close and run as normal user. So obviously a permissions error somewhere.
When it happens again I will try some more debugging.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:23 PM   #14
iain_benson
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I've committed a fix, but for it to work start with a normal sized window and only then add your very long strings to the search box.
Sorry to be a pain, but this bug seems to have reappeared. I just updated from (I think) 0.6.42 to 0.6.47, and suddenly I get a huge window which clearing the main_search_history setting seems to resolve.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:52 PM   #15
Zipr
Zealot
Zipr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by iain_benson View Post
Sorry to be a pain, but this bug seems to have reappeared. I just updated from (I think) 0.6.42 to 0.6.47, and suddenly I get a huge window which clearing the main_search_history setting seems to resolve.
Kovid knows about it and is working on it.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...16&postcount=5
Zipr is offline   Reply With Quote