Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-20-2015, 05:22 PM   #31
xor_
Zealot
xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
There has been methods described that allow a clone image of the drive to be extracted without opening the case - but - no method to restore that image has been described, that did not involve opening the case.
I haven't actually done it, but I see no reason why the reverse of the backup through netcat method described by tshering shouldn't work as well.

Last edited by xor_; 06-20-2015 at 05:34 PM.
xor_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 03:23 PM   #32
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
As I've suggested many times in the past, a lot of this info would be far easier found IF people would add it to the MobileRead Wiki;
I would suggest wiki and thread, as they all have they own strengths and weaknesses.

Also, I see that MobileRead doesn't use Vault Wiki, which is excellent wiki for vBulletin, but this is thing to suggest to owner and admins...
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2015, 03:27 PM   #33
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
I just created in past some little wiki pages and I think it's a good idea. If you want to help frostschutz I think it's good to create a wiki page for the mod.
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:21 PM   #34
anesthezea
Groupie
anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Libra 2
Thank you so much for this! It worked perfectly on my Kobo Glo HD. Very quick and painless!
anesthezea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 02:37 PM   #35
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I made a short video so you can see what to expect :: [deleted vidme link]

Last edited by pdurrant; 07-25-2021 at 08:34 AM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2015, 01:30 PM   #36
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Updated it, added a workaround for devices that run 3.16.10 firmware or newer.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:53 PM   #37
boriar
Evangelist
boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bq Avant XL, Kobo Aura H2O, Onyx Boox M96C Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Updated it, added a workaround for devices that run 3.16.10 firmware or newer.
Do the work for old firmwares also or only newer?
boriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 06:41 PM   #38
bikemd
bikemd began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Hello,

I am trying to do this using a Mac. When I downloaded the zip file, "KoboRoot-MagicMemory-3.16.10.zip", and I unzipped it, I get a folder called "sbin" and it has 3 files inside. "magic_init", "init" and "real_init". The latter two files are actually aliases.

I do not see this the file that is called, "KoboRoot-MagicMemory.tgz". Can you tell me what might be wrong?
bikemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 08:09 PM   #39
frostschutz
Linux User

I just redownloaded the attachment, it has a tgz file in it as it should:

Code:
$ 7z l KoboRoot-MagicMemory-3.16.10.zip

Listing archive: KoboRoot-MagicMemory-3.16.10.zip

--
Path = KoboRoot-MagicMemory-3.16.10.zip
Type = zip
Physical Size = 2240

Date      Time    Attr         Size   Compressed  Name
------------------- ----- ------------ ------------  ------------------------
2015-07-31 18:27:22 .....         2026         2026  KoboRoot-MagicMemory-3.16.10.tgz
------------------- ----- ------------ ------------  ------------------------
2015-07-31 18:27:22               2026         2026  1 files
If you get magic_init after unzipping, then your unzipping program is a bit overzealous and extracts the tgz inside the zip as well. You'll have to check if your program has an option to turn that off, or use a different unzipper.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:36 PM   #40
bikemd

Thanks for your quick response.

I'm now trying to do this with a Windows Virtual Machine that I run on my Mac. When I unzip the file now, I DO see a file called "KoboRoot-MagicMemory-3.16.10".

However, I am a bit confused with this step in your guide, "Install this mod. (KoboRoot-MagicMemory.tgz » .kobo/KoboRoot.tgz)". When I look at the directory of files on my Kobo Glo HD. I do see ".kobo". Do I just drop the ""KoboRoot-MagicMemory-3.16.10.tgz" file AS IS into the .kobo directory/folder? I am not sure what you mean by .kobo/KoboRoot.tgz, since I don't see either a file or directory named "KoboRoot"?

Thank you for your help so far.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:57 PM   #41
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
You need to rename the file "KoboRoot-MagicMemory-3.16.10.tgz" to "KoboRoot.tgz" and copy it to the ".kobo" directory on the device.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 12:28 AM   #42
bikemd

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
You need to rename the file "KoboRoot-MagicMemory-3.16.10.tgz" to "KoboRoot.tgz" and copy it to the ".kobo" directory on the device.
Thank you so much for everyone's help. And thank you so much to "frostschutz" who posted the original upgrade instruction. It worked for me! I have now upgraded my Kobo Glo HD (firmware 3.19) with a 32GB Lexar 300X microsdhc card.

All is working well!
Old 12-28-2015, 06:26 AM   #43
frostschutz
Linux User

Great!
Old 08-02-2016, 11:21 AM   #44
smoothy
smoothy began at the beginning.

First of all thank's for the mod Frostschutz!

I'm currenty trying to install it on my Kobo Glo HD with a SanDisk Ultra Android microSDHC with 32GB.
The progress bar on the eReader is running BUT, it already takes half an hour!

Should I wait a little bit more or do you think there's something wrong?
smoothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:26 PM   #45
frostschutz
Linux User

Half an hour is definitely too long, on my H2O it only takes a few minutes and that's when testing with my old/slow/cheap SD cards as replacements.

Unfortunately I do not know where things go wrong. When the mod itself detects an obvious error condition, the progress bar is supposed to stop, not keep going forever.

Which step in the process did you get stuck? Do you have any other mods installed on your reader?

I can not reproduce the issue myself so it's hard to debug. With the SD card removed it's also not possible to save a logfile. I guess I'll have to ditch the progress bars and find some way to actually put some text onto the display itself.

Do you have any experience with Linux so you could check out whether the target card was partitioned into 3 partitions, and whether there are filesystems, files on it? Or could you make an image of the first ~537MiB of the target card and upload somewhere for me to have a look at it?

Last edited by frostschutz; 08-02-2016 at 12:49 PM.