Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-18-2015, 09:26 AM   #16
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@cramoisi: Please try it and report back.

@Ken: Not sure if I understand your idea. This is about backing up books and database? Cause the regular reset is always available after all (and if that doesn't work, hold power button + tap the bottom screen corners). As for books+database it's just a matter of making a copy through USB, is that not simpler?

Or do you mean just pulling the system partition from the external card, not touching bootloader/recoveryfs? Cause if you include those, a brick is nearly guaranteed since the mod has no way of verifying that whatever is on the external card, will actually work at all.

Last edited by frostschutz; 06-18-2015 at 09:28 AM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:39 AM   #17
cramoisi
Librarian
cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: kobo gloHD - KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
He’s got a sandisk 64go sdxc, does MMupgrade handles it ? - I wonder if I try with it or If I send him back to purchase the usual sandisk 32go sdhc...

I found here a guy who use a sdxc but... Any advice on that ?

Last edited by cramoisi; 06-18-2015 at 09:49 AM.
cramoisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2015, 09:49 AM   #18
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The mod doesn't care about the card type as long as it's detected at all. I haven't tried SDXC myself, I only have old 4GB-16GB SDHC cards. But if this type of card worked for someone else, it should work for you. Apart from that there is a theoretical 2TB limit due to DOS partition table.

Last edited by frostschutz; 06-18-2015 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:58 AM   #19
cramoisi
Librarian
cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
The mod doesn't care about the card type as long as it's detected at all. I haven't tried SDXC myself, I only have old 4GB-16GB SDHC cards. But if this type of card worked for someone else, it should work for you. Apart from that there is a theoretical 2TB limit due to DOS partition table.
Will try with it tomorrow morning and report back, thanks !
Old 06-18-2015, 10:04 AM   #20
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:

@Ken: Not sure if I understand your idea. This is about backing up books and database? Cause the regular reset is always available after all (and if that doesn't work, hold power button + tap the bottom screen corners). As for books+database it's just a matter of making a copy through USB, is that not simpler?

Or do you mean just pulling the system partition from the external card, not touching bootloader/recoveryfs? Cause if you include those, a brick is nearly guaranteed since the mod has no way of verifying that whatever is on the external card, will actually work at all.
One of the great features of the Kobo devices, is the use of a user replaceable "system drive"/internal uSD. This makes it almost impossible to "Brick" the device, because a scrambled OS can be replaced. There has been methods described that allow a clone image of the drive to be extracted without opening the case - but - no method to restore that image has been described, that did not involve opening the case. If you can copy a clone image of the whole internal uSD card to the external drive then use your process to replace the contents of the internal uSD with that in ram - except using the cloned image on the external drive. The external card would be able to hold the entire contents of the internal card. It should hold more that what you can fit in RAM. If you mod created the contents of the external uSD card, from the contents of the internal uSD card, why/how could it not know.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2015, 10:19 AM   #21
frostschutz
Linux User

We seem to be talking at cross purposes somehow.

If you want to restore external to internal somehow, that implies the internal is broken, bricked, whatever. But with a bricked device you can't install this mod so it's not possible. And if it's not bricked it can replace a scrambled OS by itself, this "brick recovery" feature is already built-into the Kobo without any mods at all.

So that leaves a backup mechanism (back up your current firmware, mods, database, books, everything). But for a backup mechanism you don't need to clone a card at all. And you don't need a mod to restore a backup. A backup of the firmware/mods (on the system partition) would simply be a KoboRoot.tgz that you can install like any other firmware update.

I could make a mod that creates such a backup.tgz file if there isn't one already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
If you mod created the contents of the external uSD card, from the contents of the internal uSD card, why/how could it not know.
This mod copies data without really knowing what it's copying. It knows that the internal card works because that's the card it booted off of. It can't make such assumptions about the external card.

Last edited by frostschutz; 06-18-2015 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:33 AM   #22
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I guess I read more into your description than you are really doing with your "mod".

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 02:17 PM   #23
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
One of the great features of the Kobo devices, is the use of a user replaceable "system drive"/internal uSD.
It does not seems to me an astonishing feature. Any Android device, for example, has a rescue mode and it's much more powerful.
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:53 PM   #24
Thor
Thor will become famous soon enoughThor will become famous soon enoughThor will become famous soon enoughThor will become famous soon enoughThor will become famous soon enoughThor will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Nice mod! Thank you very much for sharing this! :-)
Now I have to google how I open and close the H2O without losing the water resistance.
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:59 PM   #25
frostschutz
Linux User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Now I have to google how I open and close the H2O
I wrote my own experience here:

- https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...66#post2998466
- https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...29#post2998529
- https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...84#post2998984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
without losing the water resistance.
It's not possible. Best you could hope for is restoring it by removing old glue residue and replacing it with your own glue. But how would you test it?

The H2O has an external SD card slot, if you just need more room for books use that instead. I opened mine & cut an access port for the SD card for modding reasons.

And I don't need the water seal (not that I'd trust glue with it anyhow. Water is evil, it finds its way through the smallest cracks, I don't trust glue to hold at all or forever).
Old 06-19-2015, 02:25 AM   #26
cramoisi
Librarian

Hi frostschutz ; done it this morning with a kobo glo HD and a sandisk 64go sdxc class 10. It replaces the included 4go class 4 like a charm. The whole process takes less than 15 minutes and for I’m browsing inside the library and books, it seems to me everything is snappier than before (and snappier than my h2o).

The Magic Memory Upgrade Mod is the ultimate tool to update Thanks a lot for your work.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:22 AM   #27
frostschutz
Linux User

Thank you for your kind feedback. :-)
Old 06-19-2015, 06:58 AM   #28
cramoisi
Librarian

For the info, it also works with an sandisk 128 go sdxc card ;-)
Old 06-20-2015, 02:01 PM   #29
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
I wrote my own experience here:
Maybe it would be good to open new thread dedicated just to opening H2O?

I read posts in thread you linked, but it may be good idea to have all relevant information in one place?
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 03:20 PM   #30
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
As I've suggested many times in the past, a lot of this info would be far easier found IF people would add it to the MobileRead Wiki; plus the Wiki has the benefit of more than one person can edit it, and if the original author stops updating it, others can....
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote