Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-18-2017, 02:11 PM   #1
highstream
Enthusiast
highstream began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
mobi to epub conversion problem with Project Gutenberg book

Running into a problem with a Project Gutenberg book conversion that I haven't seen before. After the conversion from mobi to epub in calibre, the book looks good under View. However, once on my iPad, in the drop-down chapter listing each chapter opens to the beginning of the book, starting with the Project Gutenberg description. What might be causing that?

Second question. In both mobi and epub, there are very occasionally paragraphs that are not wrapped properly, like this:

"The book is on the table and the fire is in the kitchen,
says I,
but she disagrees and yells at me all the expletives she learned
as a child."

Probably something in the Gutenberg copy. Is there anything in conversion I can do about this? Thanks,
highstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:26 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What book is it? Maybe there's a version in the library here at MR.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:32 PM   #3
highstream
Enthusiast

It's The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte. I checked before posting and didn't find it, although now I'm finding pfc, imp and lrf versions. Not sure if they are convertible to epub.

Update: prc version converted well, so both problems solved. Thanks for your suggestion, as there are two book search facilities, one in calibre and one here in MB. I had used the first.

Last edited by highstream; 09-18-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:18 PM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
The Project Gutenberg page for The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë is here. It is available in EPUB format from that page.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:08 PM   #5
highstream
Enthusiast

Thanks for that. I had gotten the Guttenberg book from another source a good while back, so just assumed that was it rather than checking. Good to go, now.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:08 PM   #6
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by highstream View Post
Thanks for that. I had gotten the Guttenberg book from another source a good while back, so just assumed that was it rather than checking. Good to go, now.
When you encounter issues with an older copy of a PG ebook it is always a good idea to start by check the library here at MR and if that fails, then getting a new version directly from the PG site. They very frequently update their editions with fixes to text and/or formatting.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote