Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: "Peaceful" or "Lonesome"?
I could live without people and outside noises easily. I enjoy silence. 15 29.41%
I enjoy being alone, but need something, music, etc in the background to connect to. 10 19.61%
I get nervous when I'm all by myself. Give me humanity and noise! 2 3.92%
Small periods of solitude are okay, but only occasionally. 0 0%
I need something else in my home, even a blue fish would do...... 1 1.96%
I really prefer just being with my mate, or family, and can do without the rest. 3 5.88%
You forgot.......(Please post your issue) 3 5.88%
I'm neither one nor the other. I need my friends AND time alone 17 33.33%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-07-2009, 09:23 AM   #46
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i don't pay much attention to astrology or horoscopes but i admit that when i'm feeling a bit down i sometimes read mine and want to hope all the great things it promises will come true...
Librans are like that.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:23 AM   #47
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
I'm like Inspector Clouseou when it comes to most things "I believe nothing and I believe....everything." (You have to imagine the accent and the moustache)
[now imagining moejoe wearing a trench coat and hat, with a moustache, and a ridiculous accent. ]

i'm a conflicted cynic. i want to believe good things, but i tend to be most convinced by the empirical evidence...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2009, 09:23 AM   #48
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Librans are like that.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:26 AM   #49
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
... I love to just sit in the garden and listen to the birds and the wind in the leaves. Or, when there's a good storm going on, the sound of the wind around the house...
I sometimes sit on my carport swing and watch the birds and squirrels and wonder how differently they see the world. They both live in a 3 dimensional space but the squirrels seek "pathways" through the sky (on the tree limbs) while the birds must see those same pathways as either landing strips or obstacles.

Also I love a good thunderstorm. Years ago while in western Washington state, I really missed the storms we get in the south USA.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:28 AM   #50
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
[now imagining moejoe wearing a trench coat and hat, with a moustache, and a ridiculous accent. ]

i'm a conflicted cynic. i want to believe good things, but i tend to be most convinced by the empirical evidence...
I used to be a lot more cynical (especially after that relationship) but I'm also a ridiculous optimist and see magic in almost everything. An example, I'd run out of cigarettes the other night, it was late and raining, and the nearest place I could buy any was a fifteen minute walk (don't drive a car). The all-nigh-garage is on the corner near an intersection of B roads. So it's two in the morning and there's no traffic, it's raining heavily and suddenly this oasis of light appears through the downpour, framed it seemed by halos of light from everywhere. It became in that instant a palace.

Now, all I'm doing is going to buy some cigarettes, but suddenly it's all very magical and beautiful and I'm wearing a giant smile on my face. I no longer feel the rain or the wind blowing. And, of course, there's a story somewhere in amongst all this magic.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2009, 09:36 AM   #51
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
I used to be a lot more cynical (especially after that relationship) but I'm also a ridiculous optimist and see magic in almost everything. An example, I'd run out of cigarettes the other night, it was late and raining, and the nearest place I could buy any was a fifteen minute walk (don't drive a car). The all-nigh-garage is on the corner near an intersection of B roads. So it's two in the morning and there's no traffic, it's raining heavily and suddenly this oasis of light appears through the downpour, framed it seemed by halos of light from everywhere. It became in that instant a palace.

Now, all I'm doing is going to buy some cigarettes, but suddenly it's all very magical and beautiful and I'm wearing a giant smile on my face. I no longer feel the rain or the wind blowing. And, of course, there's a story somewhere in amongst all this magic.

even your life reads like a story ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:40 AM   #52
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
even your life reads like a story ....
I think it's missing a few explosions and a car chase or two though
Old 05-07-2009, 09:43 AM   #53
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Also I love a good thunderstorm. Years ago while in western Washington state, I really missed the storms we get in the south USA.
Thunderstorms are awesome (as long as they don't happen in the middle of the night, I always wake up). Especially if they stay a few km away from you and you can see the lightning going on in the clouds while the sun is shining above your head

(we had that last year, several times in fact. While our plants were drying out, about 50k south of us, it was pouring! The whole of spring we hardly had rain while the whole country didn't know what to do with all that water falling down... But at least we had awesome thunderclouds on the horizon and blue sky above )
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:43 AM   #54
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:

heh. once someone was describing me to someone else and said "she hasn't lost her sense of wonder". i'm not sure whether this was intended as a compliment or not but that's how i take it. i love to be amazed at little details i see when i'm out in the city that other people might not notice. i used to say that i don't need to take drugs ; i already experience everything with so much intesity.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:56 AM   #55
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Good Morning! I see that I'm still the only raving extrovert to belly up and admit it. I function best in a group... correct that to "I function best as the leader of the group." The more, the merrier!

A jumping dancing concert with 8,000 or 12,000 other people is a nice cozy place for me. Tim also. If anything, he is more outgoing than even I am. Between us, we know nearly everyone. Anywhere we go, we are likely to meet someone we know. Seems unlikely, but true. Maybe the oddest time was at a crowded shuttle launch at Cape Canaveral, we ran into a woman whom I used to work with 15 yrs ago and her family. That seemed odd because it was such a specific shared interest that we didn't know we shared. But I digress again.

The thing is this: I don't want to scare you. It has just recently occurred to me that Tim and I may be a bit overly aggressive in meeting people. I sort of quizzed Marc and Nate about it last week, in a thread about whether or not they liked to be approached about their readers. It honestly never occurred to me that someone reading, say at a doc waiting room, would not be delighted to chat about our common interest. Turns out, it would probably make them feel caged and cornered and a bit uncomfortable.

This sort of sums it up - in planning a vacation, the biggest part of the excitement is yakking about who we might meet and what we will learn about their culture from them. I always make sure we have a bunch of our homemade calling cards printed up and stashed in the camera case, with our names and addresses and emails and phones and stuff. The Christmas card list (and unfortunately long and rambling yearly round-up letter) gets longer every year.

I honestly can't imagine surviving being alone. When sick, I can stand a day or two at home taking time off from work alone until he gets home, but by Day 3, I'm ready to claw the paint off the walls.

Since we seem to be invoking the skills of our residing pshrynk, do you suppose this ebullient extrovertism might have anything to do with being the responsible latchkey kid at 9YO, with a three yrs younger sister to take care of? It was very scary to go into an empty locked house every day. I would play the TV really loud so that we wouldn't feel so alone.

My sister, however, is one of you. Very much a loner who hates crowds and gets very nervous at the thought of it. She is also easily manipulated. I can talk her into pretty much anything, except going on vacation with us. (She did it once and was practically in shock by the end of the trip, although she did manage to fortify herself to joining in on all of our adventures. Never again, unfortunately.)

Worst case scenario for me: A solitary beach. I know, it's supposed to be some romantic dream, but my preference is a beach with lots of children and teens, dogs, music, and the whole enchilada.

And that is what it's like to be a raving extrovert. Come on over and join me - drinks are in the cooler, so help yourself.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:56 AM   #56
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
heh. once someone was describing me to someone else and said "she hasn't lost her sense of wonder". i'm not sure whether this was intended as a compliment or not but that's how i take it. i love to be amazed at little details i see when i'm out in the city that other people might not notice. i used to say that i don't need to take drugs ; i already experience everything with so much intesity.
That's what my friends say about me, although they word it differently, they say "You never grew up, did you?" And I take it as the biggest compliment I could ever get.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:02 AM   #57
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
And that is what it's like to be a raving extrovert. Come on over and join me - drinks are in the cooler, so help yourself.
No more drinks for me, thanks, I'm still getting over the wedding bash
Old 05-07-2009, 10:12 AM   #58
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Good morning, Dixie Gal!

As much as I adore you, DG, thanks but no thanks.

While I wouldn't mind in the least being approached while reading on my K, the thought of a crowd of 8 thousand or more people gives me the same willys a deserted beach gives you

Giving out my name and phone number to strangers is completely out of my comfort zone. I once gave it to a certain Ricky Maveety and look what happened!!!

I was a latchkey kid also.....but a single child. Quiet houses don't scare me, on the contrary, they comfort me.

I think its all in our inherent personalities how we respond to situations like that.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:19 AM   #59
Peverel
Still Easily Confused
Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I honestly can't imagine surviving being alone. When sick, I can stand a day or two at home taking time off from work alone until he gets home, but by Day 3, I'm ready to claw the paint off the walls.
Oh it sounds very nice to be extrovert but I think I'll stick with my quiet little life lol. No offence but I like it quiet and one of my favorite places to go is out on the sea early in the morning when no-one is about. Then just float about, reading or thinking or maybe even wondering what being shipwrecked like Robinson Crusoe would be like.

Yes definately not the extrovert type. Mind you us Brits are probably all a bit up tight LOL
Peverel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:20 AM   #60
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
A very interesting post, thanks for sharing.

As a confirmed introvert, I'm extremely grateful for raving extroverts - they have saved my sanity on more than one 'team building' event at work.
Ours are always absolutely ghastly experiences, where we're supposed to participate in pointless activities, and demonstrate a modicum of enthusiasm.
Having a tame extrovert present means I can just switch off and let them do all the work (on occasion I have even been able to sneak away unobserved at half-time ).
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote