Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-16-2020, 09:33 AM   #61
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepWithMachine View Post
edit: success, root access !

patched boot image for Nova 2, latest firmware 2.2.3
https://anonfiles.com/b1H6Vbpaoe/magisk_patched_img
Diese Datei enthält einen Virus oder Malware - Firefox 75/64
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 10:16 AM   #62
SleepWithMachine
not meant sexually
SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nova Air C
Virus Alert ? Hm, the file came directly from my device, mybe the fox doesnt like patched files

Checked it with Defender, all quiet here !
SleepWithMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2020, 10:34 AM   #63
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Virus Alert ? Hm, the file came directly from my device, mybe the fox doesnt like patched files

Checked it with Defender, all quiet here !
With Chrome no problems
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 01:35 PM   #64
diabl0w
Connoisseur
diabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enough

Device: Max3
Quote:
edit: success, root access !

patched boot image for Nova 2, latest firmware 2.2.3
https://anonfiles.com/b1H6Vbpaoe/magisk_patched_img
Good job, congrats... I would take a backup of all the partitions while you can. And only do dumps, dont do any writes! Our devices, according to Magisk FAQ, are theoretically supposed to use recovery as root, but using the boot.img as root works anyway. I recommend using the boot.img as root because its a lot safer/easier to recover from having an issue, and a lot easier because you can power your device normally without having to boot into recovery mode to have root.
diabl0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 03:55 PM   #65
diabl0w
Connoisseur
diabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enough

Update for firmware 2.3:

the latest firmware has great improvements in the UI.. so far I recommend updating.

The old magisk_patched img in the OP still works for the newer firmware to get you started, then apply a direct install for permanent root in the Magisk Manager app
Advert
Old 04-17-2020, 05:02 AM   #66
SleepWithMachine
not meant sexually
SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabl0w View Post
I recommend using the boot.img as root because its a lot safer/easier to recover from having an issue, and a lot easier because you can power your device normally without having to boot into recovery mode to have root.
agreed, boox devices like ours are very root friendly, didnt expect that.
I rooted a Sony phone a few years ago, it was very complicated, took days and could not be undone because of the cracked bootloader

btw

I would like to make a list of apps that are easy to use on E-ink displays. No reading apps because they are optimized by default. Also like games and small tools, what do you use?
Old 04-17-2020, 04:14 PM   #67
diabl0w
Connoisseur

Quote:
agreed, boox devices like ours are very root friendly, didnt expect that.
I rooted a Sony phone a few years ago, it was very complicated, took days and could not be undone because of the cracked bootloader

btw

I would like to make a list of apps that are easy to use on E-ink displays. No reading apps because they are optimized by default. Also like games and small tools, what do you use?
I mostly use my Max3 for work on bioinformatics research. This is mostly taking notes, reading articles, and writing papers. For taking notes, the builtin note app is great. For reading articles, the builtin reader is great. For writing papers I am bouncing back and forth between AndrOpen Office and just using a vim binary in Terminal Emulator and writing in markdown. The emulator is actually quite pleasant to use with the cross-compiled binaries magisk module.

Another interesting app that I use is DeskDock. This allows me to set up the device as a third monitor but still use the android userspace instead of just using it as an actual monitor for the desktop. I like this better than using the monitor app.
Old 04-21-2020, 12:14 PM   #68
ndvries84
ndvries84 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
I know this is regarding the Max3, but doesnt anyone have the recovery image for the Note2? I would love to root that as well.
ndvries84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 08:54 PM   #69
Tomana
Tomana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tomana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tomana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: treo 650
Thanks for the method. Just got my Max 3 today and I can't help rooting it immediately.

I have to admit that I have rooted my MAX 3 out of curiously then necessity... was planning to replace the system font on MAX 3 yet iFont doesn't workeven with the root.

Wonder what are you guys doing with a rooted device?
Tomana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 10:04 AM   #70
shunf4
shunf4 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shunf4 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shunf4 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shunf4 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shunf4 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Boox Max 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomana View Post
Wonder what are you guys doing with a rooted device?
I enabled the navigation bar with this Magisk module
Attached Files
File Type: zip Show_navigation_bar-v06.zip (20.6 KB, 284 views)
shunf4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 01:24 PM   #71
SleepWithMachine
not meant sexually

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunf4 View Post
I enabled the navigation bar with this Magisk module

very useful, thanks
Old 05-11-2020, 11:50 AM   #72
SleepWithMachine
not meant sexually

are there other useful magisk modules for our devices ?
Old 05-11-2020, 12:13 PM   #73
shunf4
shunf4 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shunf4 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shunf4 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shunf4 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shunf4 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Boox Max 3
Quote:
are there other useful magisk modules for our devices ?
Custom Navigation Bar allowes editing the layout of the navigation bar. Note: keep "Change immersive settings" off because you will need the app below to change immersive settings

SystemUI Tuner Redesigned includes Notes and Neo Reader to immersive mode (in Custom Navigation Bar they are not selectable because they do not have launcher icons) so that navigation bar will not appear when inside these two apps
shunf4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 12:30 PM   #74
SleepWithMachine
not meant sexually

thanks, but I explicitly meant magisk modules. There is a list on XDA that spans several pages of (un)official modules, is there anything useful with? For example, does it make sense to install xposed framework?
Old 10-26-2020, 10:27 PM   #75
j03
j03 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max3
Hello,

I know this post is a bit old, but it's the only one I found about rooting a Max3. I am new to rooting. I wanted to root mine to have more option and install more apps. If I root it, will the functions and apps specific to Onyx Boox still be there after or will there be some kind of Android "reset". I mean, I like the Onyx PDF reader, and also there are functions related to the e-ink, like the different refresh modes of the screen for example. Will those still be there after rooting?

Thanks,

Joe
j03 is offline   Reply With Quote