Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 02-15-2019, 02:08 PM   #1
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e

This new 10.5" tablet looks very promising as an eBook Reader. It runs Android Pie and is quite light, 400g, for the size of the unit. There is a wiki page for the Galaxy Tab S5e.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:30 PM   #2
maximus83
Nameless Being

Like it. They've addressed multiple issues I had with the existing Galaxy Tab S4:

* The S4 at $650 base price was way too high-priced for the average home 'media consumption' user that wants the tablet as a portable browser, reader, and media viewer, to compete with the 9.7" Ipad. The S5e fixes that coming in around $399.
* The S4 inexplicably had no fingerprint reader. I read of multiple S4 users complaining about the hassle and silliness of not including a fingerprint reader. The S5e has one.
* The S4 came with Android Oreo 8.x, although in theory it'll get updated to Android Pie/9.x and the One UI interface. But S5e comes with One UI installed, a big advantage.
* As you say: the S5e is lighter (and thinner) than both the S4, and the classic Ipad 9.7. S5e at 14.1 oz, vs the S4 at 17oz, and the Ipad is a bit over 16.
* The S4 had an all glass back, which was stylish but fragile. S5e has a more practical metallic back.
* The S5e according to a review I read, has more pleasing and comfortable rounded corners and edges, for more ergonomic holding.
* Both versions have the 16:10 aspect ratio, which I think it's fair to say there's a consensus that this size is pretty good for media viewing in landscape mode, but somewhat less desirable for ebook reading and general computer usage. The 16:10 gives you the tall and skinny effect, unless you like to read ebooks in 2-column landscape mode.
* S4 has a slightly bigger battery and longer battery life, but not by a lot. The S5e still promises 14.5 hour life for all-day-plus streaming.
* One slight ding is they used a slightly older/outdated CPU (Snapdragon 670). All recent phones have WAY better chips than that, and so does the S4. But it'll be adequate for media consumption and keeps the cost down.
* If I hadn't already decided to go with the 8" form factor in my Android tablet (and my 13" HP x360 lightweight PC for any larger needs), I'd be seriously considering the S5e. In the niche of 10-11" tablets, I don't see anything out there with such a beautiful high res screen, Android 9, super lightweight for the size, and still pretty cost effective.

Last edited by maximus83; 02-15-2019 at 10:39 PM.
Advert
Old 03-05-2019, 12:51 PM   #3
ant_gamal
ant_gamal began at the beginning.

Device: none
does it will be better than huawei mediapad m5 10.8
in reading

It is super AMOLED vs IPS LCD
ant_gamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 01:22 PM   #4
mrpops
mrpops began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
i'd get a used tab s4 over a 5e [for the same price], the cpu is very weak on the 5e [i have a tab s4]
mrpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 01:29 PM   #5
maximus83
Nameless Being

ant_gamal, that is very hard to predict without holding them side-by-side. Also 'better' is somewhat general, it'd help to know what you mean by that. Higher screen resolution? Deeper blacks? Improved color saturation? Brighter (measured in nits)? Etc.

I'm going to guess that by most objective measures, the Samsung screen would come out as the 'better' one. They are the leader in display tech for a reason. But, often you pay dearly for that. And, I think most folks--including myself--would be hard pressed to tell much practical difference between the M5's display and a similar-size Samsung amoled, in daily usage. I owned a Huawei M5 8.4" tablet briefly, plus I own and have owned many Samsung devices--phones, tablets, tv's. And that M5 screen was just gorgeous, I enjoyed it just as much as any Samsung device I've owned. I don't think you'll go wrong getting either one. The M5 series is going to get updated to Android 9 shortly, so they'll be on par with the S5e in terms of OS version, too.

If you look at cost, there's not going to be much difference. Current M5 series, the 8.4" costs $319 at Amazon, the M5 "lite" 10" tablet is $299, and the M5 Pro (which has specs closer to the new S5e) is $449. So, I'd check out the specs carefully. The S5e at around $400 is going to be tough to beat for a "budget premium" tablet, its pricing is quite good given the specs.
Advert
Old 03-05-2019, 02:42 PM   #6
ant_gamal
ant_gamal began at the beginning.

Samsung tab s5e lte version may be cost 450 i think
I thinking to go for huawei m5 10.8 not pro as it lower in cost
Lite version is very weak

I do not also prefer 8 inch

So go for m5 10.8 is a good discussion

Also i can wait for some months
ant_gamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:11 PM   #7
unlicellular
unlicellular began at the beginning.

Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e looks great! It has a fantastic display and comes in at a price that’s easy to swallow. Samsung might have finally made an Android tablet worth buying. There’s a 10.5-inch Super AMOLED display in this tablet, Atmos audio and AKG-tuned speakers. Like the Tab S4, the Tab S5e features slims bezels around the display and curved corners.
unlicellular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 04:20 AM   #8
unlicellular
unlicellular began at the beginning.

Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e looks great! It has a fantastic display and comes in at a price that’s easy to swallow. Samsung might have finally made an Android tablet worth buying. There’s a 10.5-inch Super AMOLED display in this tablet, Atmos audio and AKG-tuned speakers. Like the Tab S4, the Tab S5e features slims bezels around the display and curved corners.
unlicellular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 05:36 PM   #9
pierro78
eInk-androidonaut newbie
pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx i86+, Lenovo tab s8-50, Galaxy Mega, Transformer T100
I ve just ordered one from ebay US (I am in France).

@DaleDe I see you (as usual) have done a great work on the wiki ( https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Galaxy_Tab_S5e ), if that s OK with you I will add a few links and info to this wiki page (I ll mostly take them from the xda forum ... I like to "tinker" a little bit with my devices, like rooting them and put a linux distro on them with linux-deploy ... )

Last edited by pierro78; 04-12-2021 at 04:34 AM.
pierro78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:02 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierro78 View Post
I ve just ordered one from ebay US (I am in France).

@DaleDe I see you (as usual) have done a great work on the wiki ( https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Galaxy_Tab_S5e ), if that s OK with you I will add a few links and info to this wiki page (I ll mostly take them from the xda forum ... I like to "tinker" a little bit with my devices, like rooting them and put a linux distro on them with linux-deploy ... )
Of course, the wiki is a resource for everybody to read and add information.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote