Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-06-2010, 02:14 PM   #16
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
Kindle3 shipped to Canada

Can anyone tell me if you had to pay duty or customs charges for Kindles shipped to Canada? thanks.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:31 PM   #17
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post
Can anyone tell me if you had to pay duty or customs charges for Kindles shipped to Canada? thanks.
Hi Wrenn,

Here's a whole thread about customs/shipping charges for K3's sent to Canada

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98468

Hope this helps
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2010, 02:53 PM   #18
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
Hi Wrenn,

Here's a whole thread about customs/shipping charges for K3's sent to Canada

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98468

Hope this helps
Oh, thanks so much. Don't know how I missed this.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:36 AM   #19
ttluisa
Enthusiast
ttluisa began at the beginning.

Device: kobo, kindle 3
I bought my kobo because of its low price a few months ago. I thought I would love the simple concept of having a basic reader that does nothing but allow you to read books. In fact I did love my kobo, until my K3 arrived. I agree with some people who said that there's no contest, there really isn't. I thought I would be fine without any wireless connection until I tried sampling before buying and buying from device. I've heard that there will be an upgraded version of kobo coming soon which will have WIFI so that's good to know. Kindle has a screen with about 70% better contrast than kobo's, yes I mean it, 70%. The page turn on kindle is about three times as fast as kobo's. Kindle has a collection feature which is essential to me, and the ability to search book is a big plus. I went for kobo once when the kindle was over 100 bucks more expensive, and now they're at the same price line, why not get a device with a better screen, better features and more functions? Kindle don't support epub, so what? It's not like kobo support mobi or AWZ, hell kobo doen't even supprot TXT, and the last time I checked, Amazon carries way more titles than any other epub book sellers.
ttluisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:35 AM   #20
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttluisa View Post
I bought my kobo because of its low price a few months ago. I thought I would love the simple concept of having a basic reader that does nothing but allow you to read books. In fact I did love my kobo, until my K3 arrived. I agree with some people who said that there's no contest, there really isn't. I thought I would be fine without any wireless connection until I tried sampling before buying and buying from device. I've heard that there will be an upgraded version of kobo coming soon which will have WIFI so that's good to know. Kindle has a screen with about 70% better contrast than kobo's, yes I mean it, 70%. The page turn on kindle is about three times as fast as kobo's. Kindle has a collection feature which is essential to me, and the ability to search book is a big plus. I went for kobo once when the kindle was over 100 bucks more expensive, and now they're at the same price line, why not get a device with a better screen, better features and more functions? Kindle don't support epub, so what? It's not like kobo support mobi or AWZ, hell kobo doen't even supprot TXT, and the last time I checked, Amazon carries way more titles than any other epub book sellers.

Actually, the new Kobo with Wi-Fi is taking pre-orders now. There is a new screen with 16 grey scale (which is equal to the K3) compared to the old one which has only 8.

I'm pretty sure that Amazon is also the only device supporting Mobi/AZW right now (if I'm wrong, please correct me ) So if later on you want to switch readers/companies you would have to strip the DRM and convert the books before reading them on your new device.

As far as kobo's bookstore is concerned, I haven't had a problem finding ebooks there.

Kobo is still a very good *basic* reader IMO, if that's what your looking for.
Advert
Old 10-07-2010, 01:19 PM   #21
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The two devices might have the same level of Grey Scale but does not mean that they are comprable. The K2 has a 16 Grey Scale screen but the new Pearl screen is better then the screen on the K2.

The Kobo does not have the new Pearl screen so the improved Grey Scale will mean that the screen is probably comprable to the K2.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:41 PM   #22
Goldeneyes
Goldeneyes began at the beginning.

Device: none
Brand new to the forum. I was referred here by someone specifically because I'm asking myself the same question as the OP. I haven't used an ereader before but am really considering one. The different file formats seem to be throwing me off. Which ones are the most common? Also, I noted that many of you stated that Amazon has a much greater selection of books but this is not the case if you're in Canada. The selection is less than half of what it is for US customers. When I looked up my favorite authors, they barely had any titles while Sony and Kobo had almost all of them.
Goldeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:20 PM   #23
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The EPub format is most common.

Amazon is using a Mobi format for their DRM. To the best of my knowledge, Amazon is the only one using Mobi.

That said, if you are willing to strip DRM's or convert formats using Calibre, or a similar program, the format should not restrict you.

Amazon has the largest bookstore in the US. I believe that Amazon has one of the largest bookstores outside of the US as well.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:26 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
Actually, the new Kobo with Wi-Fi is taking pre-orders now. There is a new screen with 16 grey scale (which is equal to the K3) compared to the old one which has only 8.
The new Kobo is using a different screen controller. The original Vizplex does support 16 shades. It's just that not every screen controller allows this. So really, while yes you get 16 shades, you do not get a pearl screen just yet. I am expecting a time when no more Vizplex are made and it will only be Pearl. So no, it's not equal to the K3/650's screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:33 PM   #25
Goldeneyes
Goldeneyes began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
The EPub format is most common.

Amazon is using a Mobi format for their DRM. To the best of my knowledge, Amazon is the only one using Mobi.

That said, if you are willing to strip DRM's or convert formats using Calibre, or a similar program, the format should not restrict you.

Amazon has the largest bookstore in the US. I believe that Amazon has one of the largest bookstores outside of the US as well.
Ah, thank you. I didn't know about being able to remove the restrictions and switching formats. I should have known that someone would figure out how. That makes this a whole new ballgame. I'm going to have to talk to my friends who have them and see if I can play with them a bit. See which one I like best.
Goldeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:52 PM   #26
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Or you can go to Best Buy where you can handle the Kindle, Nook, and Sony.

Do a google search on Mobi and Epub so you can figure out if stripping DRM is something you are comfprtable with, ethically and technologically. Some folks think that it is illegal to strip DRM, some think that it is perfectly legal. You will have to make your own decision in that area.

If you are in Canada you might want to look at some of the topics on how to buy books for the Nook and Kindle. You can find those in the Nook and Amazon forums.

I live in the US and own a K1 and DXG. I have not felt the need to buy a book outside of the Amazon store. Amazon has had the books I wanted and it was most convienent for me. There are others who do not feel that way.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:15 PM   #27
Pookeysgirl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The new Kobo is using a different screen controller. The original Vizplex does support 16 shades. It's just that not every screen controller allows this. So really, while yes you get 16 shades, you do not get a pearl screen just yet. I am expecting a time when no more Vizplex are made and it will only be Pearl. So no, it's not equal to the K3/650's screen.
I have the original Kobo and I haven't seen the pearl or new visplex screens so i don't know how much of a difference there is. I find no problem with the screen I have, but that's probably because I have nothing to compare it to

Maybe one day...
Old 10-14-2010, 04:40 PM   #28
kajoob
kajoob doesn't litterkajoob doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttluisa View Post
I bought my kobo because of its low price a few months ago. I thought I would love the simple concept of having a basic reader that does nothing but allow you to read books. In fact I did love my kobo, until my K3 arrived.

Ditto! I had a Kobo and loved it until I saw the Kindle's screen, speed, and overall fit and finish. It's no contest. I sold my Kobo on ebay and read my new Kindle every night.

Also, Kobo's customer service, if you want to call it that, is GARBAGE. Amazon really treats their customers right.
kajoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:53 PM   #29
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajoob View Post
Ditto! I had a Kobo and loved it until I saw the Kindle's screen, speed, and overall fit and finish. It's no contest. I sold my Kobo on ebay and read my new Kindle every night.
Do you know if Kindle DX Graphite has pearl screen? Because if it's so, I think I see worse than I thought, I haven't noted so much difference.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:36 PM   #30
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I was looking also for an ereader and had come down to these two, and the Sony 650. I have not had the opportunity to handle any of them, they just don't seem to be readily available for that purpose where I live. I've only seen three ebook readers, and none of the brands were familiar to me (Pico is the only one I can remember).

So here's what I need. In addition to having access to a bookstore (fictionwise, smashwords and baen, particularly) I want to be able to load the books I already have converted to epub format. Does Kindle allow this, or not?
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle 3, kobo