Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-29-2010, 10:05 AM   #61
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
The pre-order page for the new Kindle says "Pre-order now to ensure release date delivery". So with the two day free shipping they give, I assume pre-orders will ship on Aug 25 so we all have them in hand on Aug 27.

The case seems to work like any other regular Amazon product...free super saver shipping or other options.
Hard to say. With the K2 I ordered the device and cover on the same order and they shipped the cover so it arrive with the K2 on release day.

Not that that means it'll happen the same way again, but I'm thinking it might.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:34 AM   #62
aleccj1
Techie
aleccj1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (3G + WiFi), Kobo
Talking Can't Wait!

Just preordered a Graphite 3G. Can't wait for it to come! However, I was wondering if I should get a new case. This is the one I have for my Kindle 2i. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0037ZTI1W
It fits snugly. Will it fit the Kindle 3?

Thanks.
aleccj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 10:38 AM   #63
jswinden
Nameless Being

I always check the send in as few packages as possible button when ordering from Amazon. But even at that they separated out the cover from the KWiFi. The cover is set to ship on Aug 27 with:

Quote:
Delivery estimate: September 1, 2010 - September 3, 2010
The delivery for the KWiFi is yet to be determined though. That is probably okay, but I seem to recall that when the K2 (or K1) was first released they were supposed to ship a long time before they actually did.

Brian you are right. When I bought my KDXG and cover two weeks ago I gt them both in the same package a couple of days later. But by then the KDXG had already been stocked and was available for immediate shipping.

Oh well, I'm like a kid waiting for Xmas now!
Old 07-29-2010, 10:38 AM   #64
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
The new Kindle is a half inch smaller in width and length and a little thinner.

BTW, I ordered a K3 with 3G and WiFi.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:38 AM   #65
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleccj1 View Post
Just preordered a Graphite 3G. Can't wait for it to come! However, I was wondering if I should get a new case. This is the one I have for my Kindle 2i. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0037ZTI1W

Thanks.

You decide.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 10:40 AM   #66
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleccj1 View Post

Thanks.
The attachments might work, but if so the case will be a bit larger than the K3 as the K3 is smaller than the K2. You should probably call Amazon and ask them.

[edit]Oops, looks like three of us simulaneously answered your question. Sorry for the overkill.[/edit]
Old 07-29-2010, 10:42 AM   #67
ChaoZ
Connoisseur
ChaoZ doesn't litterChaoZ doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Mini, Kobo Touch
Losing number keys does kinda suck. They should've at least included an alt key for the top row of the keyboard or something.
ChaoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:44 AM   #68
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoZ View Post
Losing number keys does kinda suck. They should've at least included an alt key for the top row of the keyboard or something.
Agree! The KDXG is as you described, so I wish they had done that with the K3 too.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:47 AM   #69
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I prefer the number keys but I became accustomed to using the SYM key with my first DX and most of the time I just need to input letters. Can't wait to see the 6" Kindle with the Pearl screen, I love my DXG.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:57 AM   #70
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Still have the K1, but the K3 looks very interesting. As far as i know, the Whispernet still works on the Sprint system.

Dumb question: In the new WiFi version, if I am not anywhere near a hotspot, does Whispernet still work with the AT&T system?
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:08 AM   #71
bob1xxx
Zealot
bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle k3 and k2 and White Aluratek Libre Pro
Wink LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by swede View Post
One must have too much money or to little impulse-control :-)

I did preorder the graphite 3g/wifi, it seems so perfect with its smaller package, better screen, couldnt resist it Have tried to read on an iPad several times, but the iPad dont really work that well for me, especially outdoors or in bed where I prefer to read.

When the K3 arrives I guess i have to sell my K2i :-)
LOL Sorry I like the K2 very,very, much , the K2's size that been my major gripe, more compact ,6" screen and more features..... INSANE It perfect LOL
bob1xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:12 AM   #72
rahulm
Zealot
rahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: None
Will Canadians (in Montreal specifically) have access to free 3G internet?

If yes, then it's a definite yes to Kindle for me. I'm a current PRS 505 owner.
rahulm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:15 AM   #73
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropout View Post
If you do any traveling with your Kindle, the 3G cannot be underrated. I traveled to 6 cities around Europe this summer (mostly by train), and it was wonderful to be able to check my e-mail, facebook, and twitter during the trips, not to mention downloading a new book when necessary. My wife and I also had an iPad but there was rarely free wifi at our hotels or other places, and it was usually at very slow speeds.

Plus there is nothing to think about with the 3G all you have to do is turn it on. With the wifi you are going to have to connect to a network. Automation is fantastic.
I'm planning to get a Droid X to replace my crappy dumbphone. This will allow me to share the 3G connection with up to 5 wifi devices, which will include my laptop and a wifi Kindle. Of course I'll be paying for that 3G connection, but I need it for other reasons and the Kindle will piggyback for free. I hope the Kindle will default to using this wifi connection when ever it is available so it should be pretty seamless, just by turning it on.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:15 AM   #74
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post
Still have the K1, but the K3 looks very interesting. As far as i know, the Whispernet still works on the Sprint system.

Dumb question: In the new WiFi version, if I am not anywhere near a hotspot, does Whispernet still work with the AT&T system?
On the $139 WiFi only version, no. There is no AT&T connection. If you need the ability to connect to the AT&T system you will need the $189 3G/WiFi version.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:25 AM   #75
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
On the $139 WiFi only version, no. There is no AT&T connection. If you need the ability to connect to the AT&T system you will need the $189 3G/WiFi version.
I doubt WiFi will connect to AT&T. However, I suspect the WiFi will connect similar to the iPod touch running the Amazon app in that if you have a WiFi network to connect to you should be able to buy and download books, and you should be able to sync last page read and bookmarks and stuff with your other Kindle devices.