Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 07-17-2010, 10:57 PM   #1
petblue
petblue began at the beginning.

Device: none
Dictionary Languages

Dear Mobilereaders

I am new to these forums and to ereaders. I need to acquire 2 readers for myself and another party. Yesterday I purchased the sony-600, under the impression that it had dictionary support, or would be able to support, for multiple languages. As it turns out there is no way to add anything other than the default English dictionary

Jetbook looks very appealing to me, as I do a great deal of reading in several languages. These are not native languages for me, so I would find a dictionary tool quite useful. However, I have had some problems seeing exactly which dictionaries are included on the Jetbook Lite.

So far it seem like these certainly are

Polish
Russian
German
Spanish

I was wondering if anyone knows if Ectaco plans too add more dictionaries, for example French or their newly supported Vietnamese, or if one can buy them?

I also would like to confirm that you can look a word up in a German document, and not just translate English words to German (or any other languages) which is all that I see people try to do in video reviews.

petblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:32 AM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
The press release for there 22 July firmware release:
http://www.ectaco.com/news/8638/
lists support for some of the UTF-8 encodeable languages/fonts but French isn't listed.
There is no mention of dictionary support for these, though.

The existing dictionaries work both ways. eg... Eng>Rus or Rus>Eng but I don't have any
non-English files on my JBL at the moment to see how it works if you are starting from one of the other supported languages.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 07:26 PM   #3
macminer
Connoisseur
macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 3, Lenovo Tab 4 8" (formerly many others)
JB gives translation for any highlighted word in any language. I have some Russian and Polish files and can translate the words from any language to English and the other way round (eg. Rus to En/ En to Rus or Pol to En). The vocabulary range is quite good. However, in the languages that are highly inflected (Russian or Polish) it doesn't seem to recognize different word forms, so sometimes you have to browse through several words in the dictionary to find the right one.
macminer is offline   Reply With Quote