Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-23-2009, 04:10 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Stopping the PRS-600 autoplay

On my home PC, I installed the eBook Library software via the "autoplay" on the Reader itself, and that all worked perfectly; I no longer get the "Install Software" item popping up when I connect the Reader to my PC.

My machine at work, however, goes through a proxy server, which the auto-install can't handle, so I had to download and install the eBook Library software manually. This means that every time I connect my Reader to the PC, I get the popup asking me if I want to install the software.

I'm guessing that when it's installed via the Reader's installer, it sets a registry key, or something like that, which tells the autoplay "I'm already installed, so don't bother doing anything". Does anyone know what needs to be set, so I can set it on my work machine and stop the prompt to install the software?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:30 AM   #2
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
That's strange HarryT, the reader we gave to my cousin on Sunday, the autoplay still pops up and I installed the ebook software on her laptop via the reader. I know it still does because she had to reset it while it was still attach to the computer after it was frozen and I was on the phone walking her through it. Anyway when the reader finally came to life she told me both the autoplay and ebook library now are automatically opened.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2009, 10:08 AM   #3
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
I already had the library software installed and have connected my new 600 several times but have not seen the Install Software Pop-up. Are you trying to connect to the Sony Store? I've never actually registered with the store, much to the confusion of the Tech Support people.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:43 AM   #4
Mikesbook
Enthusiast
Mikesbook began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
I also have this Autoplay issue which I raised in a post here recently. I have spoken to Sony support (UK) who because I experienced it on my two computers, one with XP and one with Vista, have told me that it must be the PRS-600 and that it should be returned for service. I do not think for one moment that this is likely to be the cause because the "Launcher" partition on the PRS-600 is write protected and so the Autoplay which is in this partition cannot be modified. I had also completely reset the reader to factory state to no effect.

It seems more likely that it was because I had manually installed EBL 3.0 before I got the PRS-600 that something is left behind in registry etc?.

I will not return the reader to Sony as this just a nuisance and can be worked around but I would love to know how to solve it.
Mikesbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:34 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Harry,

When you mount the thing as a drive and view it with Windows Explorer can you see the "autorun.inf" file? If so is it possible to delete it (or at least rename it)? That should resolve this since it is the file that causes this to start the installer.

You can also disable autorun on your PC... but of course that will affect all external storage devices.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2009, 03:52 PM   #6
Mikesbook
Enthusiast

BOb,

The autorun.inf file lives in the "Launcher" partition on the reader and as I mentioned before this is write protected. I've tried all hte ways I can think of to un-protect this but no way.

Mike
Old 09-23-2009, 03:59 PM   #7
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesbook View Post
BOb,

The autorun.inf file lives in the "Launcher" partition on the reader and as I mentioned before this is write protected. I've tried all hte ways I can think of to un-protect this but no way.

Mike
Isn't there a feature in Windows, how to handle this?
Whether to auto-start, launch explorer and things like that?
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:55 PM   #8
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AutoRun#NoDriveAutoRun
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:08 PM   #9
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
I already had the library software installed and have connected my new 600 several times but have not seen the Install Software Pop-up. Are you trying to connect to the Sony Store? I've never actually registered with the store, much to the confusion of the Tech Support people.
Ha! Always good to keep 'em guessing.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:42 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesbook View Post
BOb,

Mike
Interesting... you've tried partition software? What about a low level hex editor on the raw drive?

BOb
Old 09-24-2009, 02:42 AM   #11
Mikesbook
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Yes this is a work round but means that there will be no autoplay available for any device inserted.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:46 AM   #12
Mikesbook
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Interesting... you've tried partition software? What about a low level hex editor on the raw drive?

BOb
I've tried a couple of partition managers but I still can't access the files in "Launcher" . The other partitions on the reader are writeable.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:56 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
You may have missed the point of my question.

It appears as if the autorun file on the internal partition of the PRS-600 is saying "Is <something> present on this machine? If it's not, I'll run the Library installer". I want to know what that <something> is, so that I can create it manually, and prevent the installer running.

I know how the stop "autoplay" running, but I don't want to do that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:38 AM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You may have missed the point of my question.

It appears as if the autorun file on the internal partition of the PRS-600 is saying "Is <something> present on this machine? If it's not, I'll run the Library installer". I want to know what that <something> is, so that I can create it manually, and prevent the installer running.
You could try to run ProcMon while the program is running. It will show you the file and registry reads it is attempting. I assume it is looking for a file or a registry entry.

BOb
Old 10-18-2009, 04:07 PM   #15
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I'm giving this a bump because I'd love to know if anyone has found a solution.

My PRS 600 not only auto-launches the "install software/play music/etc" dialog every time I connect it, but I also get a lovely message from XP saying that the disk is write-protected (which I assume is because the Launcher partition is write protected).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	37639  
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote