Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-16-2009, 12:26 PM   #1
LauraLynn
Enthusiast
LauraLynn is on a distinguished road

Device: iPod Touch, Dell Axim X30 & EB1150
Thumbs up Decided on Sony 505 over Kindle, thanks everyone!

Hi all,

I just wanted to say a big "Thank you" to all of you for all of your discussions and opinions that you have so freely shared.

I discovered ebook readers because of Amazon. But like anything else I am thinking of purchasing, I started doing research and found this forum.

I had thought I had made my decision - a Kindle from Amazon based upon the sheer number of titles they have available.

But then I did some more research, found that my own library has a nice selection of ebooks, plus the sites with the free books.

Thanks to this forum I found out about the other ebook stores and discovered that they have tons of books that I would be interested in. Not only that, but I can buy them and read them NOW before I purchase my reader (which will be some time in the future, need to save up $)

These are the 2 major factors that made me decide for the Sony 505:

1) I can read library books on it.
2) I can purchase books and read them NOW on my laptop (Adobe Digital Editions) and still be able to read them on my reader when I get it.

I just wanted to say THANK YOU for helping me make up my mind... and wanted to post in case it may help someone else make up their own mind as to which device will be best for them.

LauraLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:31 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
congratulations on your selection.........I know you'll be happy with it.

But you do know you could also read library books on the Kindle?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2009, 12:42 PM   #3
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
congratulations on your selection.........I know you'll be happy with it.

But you do know you could also read library books on the Kindle?
DG, you've probably already explained this..
but which format do you choose?
and do you need to convert it?

I think it's good that you bring this up a lot
about reading library books on the Kindle..
as that is one of the reasons I chose my 505.

I wasn't sure how easy it would be to access
the free material out there and library books
on a Kindle.
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:46 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbFabGab View Post
DG, you've probably already explained this..
but which format do you choose?
and do you need to convert it?

I think it's good that you bring this up a lot
about reading library books on the Kindle..
as that is one of the reasons I chose my 505.

I wasn't sure how easy it would be to access
the free material out there and library books
on a Kindle.
For the Kindle, you want the mobipocket format.

Some library's have more adobe format, some have more mobipocket.

You need to download and run the kindlefix script in order to put them on the Kindle. There is no converting necessary, since they will automatically "close" at the end of your loan period, no drm stripping involved.

You'd simply download the books to your computer, run the script, then use the USB cord to upload to your Kindle. Easy Peasy. (because if I can do it, it is!)

I can't speak for the Sony,..........but I guarantee someone else can!
Old 02-16-2009, 12:55 PM   #5
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
For the Kindle, you want the mobipocket format.

Some library's have more adobe format, some have more mobipocket.

You need to download and run the kindlefix script in order to put them on the Kindle. There is no converting necessary, since they will automatically "close" at the end of your loan period, no drm stripping involved.

You'd simply download the books to your computer, run the script, then use the USB cord to upload to your Kindle. Easy Peasy. (because if I can do it, it is!)

I can't speak for the Sony,..........but I guarantee someone else can!
ok, cool! I think people get stuck on the Amazon thing
not realizing you can access other stuff as well.

Thanks for the explanation!
I've learned a lot about the Kindle from your posts. : )
Advert
Old 02-16-2009, 02:05 PM   #6
LauraLynn
Enthusiast

Thanks so much! Yes, I did, but I prefer mysteries and my library only has 14 mysteries in Mobipocket - over 100 in ADE. Thank you for pointing it out though!!!

I discovered another plus for the Sony. It's available at Target AND my credit card points program has Target gift cards as an option. I already have enough points for a $100 gift card. Must check with hubby and see what he has and if he's willing to share LOL!
Old 02-16-2009, 02:31 PM   #7
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraLynn View Post
Thanks so much! Yes, I did, but I prefer mysteries and my library only has 14 mysteries in Mobipocket - over 100 in ADE.
Don't forget to check:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries

Many libraries offer an out-of-state option for joining.
Depending on what is in their catalog, it might be worth
the annual fee. Check them out! : )
Old 02-16-2009, 02:44 PM   #8
LauraLynn
Enthusiast

Awesome, thanks!!
Old 02-16-2009, 02:45 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbFabGab View Post
ok, cool! I think people get stuck on the Amazon thing
not realizing you can access other stuff as well.

Thanks for the explanation!
I've learned a lot about the Kindle from your posts. : )
I know very little compared to people like daffy4u and pilot bob........don't hesitate to ask questions when you get your sony......
Old 02-22-2009, 02:07 PM   #10
ChipnDale
Rescue Rangers
ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad
Cool! I'm sure you will enjoy it
ChipnDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 02:49 PM   #11
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Congrats!!!! What color did you get?

Also, you don't need Adobe Digital editions to read. You can download the Sony eBooklibrary now (just go to ebookstore.sony.com) and download it (you don't need a device to have an account). There's a full screen mode that shows two pages at once and it looks very nice.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:16 AM   #12
LauraLynn
Enthusiast

Turns out I would have needed to wait a while to get the $ for the Sony - so I'm getting a eBookwise reader for now. Never would have known about all the choices if it were not for this forum, thanks everyone!
Old 03-11-2009, 08:58 PM   #13
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Choices are good, but you always have to consider your budget.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:13 PM   #14
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Oprah has declared that Kindle was her new favorite favorite thing in the world.
Not the Sony reader. You can't argue with Oprah. So here's your proof.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:41 PM   #15
akira28
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboss View Post
Oprah has declared that Kindle was her new favorite favorite thing in the world.
Not the Sony reader. You can't argue with Oprah. So here's your proof.
I wouldn't need to argue with Oprah. I am an independent thinker who does not rely on paid endorsers to make my decisions.

Tags
sony 505