Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-08-2009, 06:24 PM   #1
anthonymoody
anthonymoody began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Would someone kindly test the attached file, using a mac and a kindle?

I'm a producer and unfortunately burn a ton of paper printing scripts to read, most of which immediately wind up in the recycling bin.

I'm looking at getting a Kindle or the iRex reader with its much larger screen, but would love first to see how a typical script looks on a Kindle.

They're usually in PDF, as is the one enclosed below. I'd greatly appreciate if a mac user could convert it (using calibre I assume?), put it on the Kindle, and see how it looks.

Many thanks in advance,
TM

Last edited by anthonymoody; 05-06-2009 at 09:01 AM.
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:40 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
I'm a producer and unfortunately burn a ton of paper printing scripts to read, most of which immediately wind up in the recycling bin.

I'm looking at getting a Kindle or the iRex reader with its much larger screen, but would love first to see how a typical script looks on a Kindle.

They're usually in PDF, as is the one enclosed below. I'd greatly appreciate if a mac user could convert it (using calibre I assume?), put it on the Kindle, and see how it looks.

Many thanks in advance,
TM
If your choices are the Kindle or one of the iRex devices, then go for iRex as you'll find the lack of PDF support on the Kindle won't do at all for what you want. In fact, you'll find a lot of the conversions to be rather poor.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2009, 09:39 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:

Many thanks in advance,
TM
The Kindle doesn't support PDF. Can you get these books in any other format? You can email the PDF to Amazon and they will convert it... but results may not be perfect.

You are much better off asking for text or html if possible.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:52 PM   #4
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I won't use Calibre (bloody thing crashes every time I try to use it) but I'll email the file to my Kindle and see what happens.

I'll post some screenshots..
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:03 PM   #5
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Well, here it is. Isn't terribly great. Lots of it is better than this, though. Certainly readable, but it doesn't maintain the text well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-18622.gif
Views:	620
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	22950  
Advert
Old 02-08-2009, 10:05 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Well, here it is. Isn't terribly great. Lots of it is better than this, though. Certainly readable, but it doesn't maintain the text well.
You're emails on the pic. Probably can't get harvested though.

BOb
Old 02-08-2009, 10:14 PM   #7
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

Yeah, I know. Should be safe embedded in the graphic.

At any rate, I'm a public enough figure in other aspects of my life that my email is all over anyway.

Thanks though!
Old 02-08-2009, 10:31 PM   #8
anthonymoody

WOW. Many thanks, though the results are extremely disappointing. And unfortunately PDF is essentially the standard way scripts are transmitted.

Hmmmmmmm. May have to rethink the gadget lust that the leaked Kindle 2.0 pix have inspired in me.

Thanks all, especially Gideon.

Best,
TM
Old 02-08-2009, 10:59 PM   #9
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

Well, I'd see what happens. They may release software that does this better on the new version.

Most PDF conversion is going to be rather weak, unfortunately, for any software. Unless you're actually looking at something close to the right size you're going to be out of luck when you need that kind of detail on the formatting.

Maybe the Sony PDF reflow is better. Perhaps someone can take a shot of that for you.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:36 AM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
WOW. Many thanks, though the results are extremely disappointing. And unfortunately PDF is essentially the standard way scripts are transmitted.
You probably want to look at the iRex iLiad or DR1000. Both are larger size and allow annotations with a stylus. They are more expensive, but more designed for what you want to do.

Or, wait a year, the plastic logic looks like it is going to be a great device. But, of course, hype is usually better than reality.

BOb
Old 02-09-2009, 02:23 PM   #11
anthonymoody

Thanks again guys. I'm definitely looking into the DR1000 (though for some reason it seems like only the 1000S is for sale at the moment) but the Kindle 2.0 sexy has me searching for a way!

I converted the script using calibre. Anyone - Gideon? - willing to pop it into their Kindle and do a screencap? Hoping that somehow it was better at preserving the layout than was Amazon's email converstion...

TIA
TM

Last edited by anthonymoody; 05-06-2009 at 09:02 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:38 PM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Thanks again guys. I'm definitely looking into the DR1000 (though for some reason it seems like only the 1000S is for sale at the moment) but the Kindle 2.0 sexy has me searching for a way!

I converted the script using calibre. Anyone - Gideon? - willing to pop it into their Kindle and do a screencap? Hoping that somehow it was better at preserving the layout than was Amazon's email converstion...

TIA
TM
Here it is in 2 sizes. The larger is size 4 which I normally use for reading and the smaller is size 1. Your pdf was converted using MobiPocket Creator.

If you only want to load scripts for reading and can afford not to be picky about the formatting, you'll be fine. If you need proper formatting for any kind of breakdowns, you won't be happy (this coming from a Script Supervisor).

Last edited by daffy4u; 05-06-2009 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Images removed by request
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:17 PM   #13
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

Yeah, I guess I should have thought about mentioning that. I did run a copy through MobiCreator to see if it'd be any different and it came out exactly like the one I emailed to Amazon.

As Daffy said... for just "reading" it is still very much so.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:20 PM   #14
anthonymoody

Thanks scriptie! And thanks Gideon.

I actually like the smaller size (it looks/feels more like a script on a page). THANK YOU!

Question:

-Is the size choice something that mobipocket creator does, or the kindle does? If the creator, that's a PC program yes? I use a mac so that could be an issue.

Thanks!
TM
Old 02-09-2009, 03:27 PM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Thanks scriptie! And thanks Gideon.

I actually like the smaller size (it looks/feels more like a script on a page). THANK YOU!

Question:

-Is the size choice something that mobipocket creator does, or the kindle does? If the creator, that's a PC program yes? I use a mac so that could be an issue.

Thanks!
TM
The size is a choice you make on the Kindle and you can change it at will.

For the Mac look at Stanza (lexcycle.com). I think the new Calibre release of may work as well (I haven't tried it yet). And of course you still have the options of email:

yourkindlename@kindle.com - sends the file to your Kindle via Whispernet

yourkindlename@free.kindle.com - sends the file back to you via email and you can transfer it to the "documents" folder of your Kindle with the USB cable.

My Kindle is very popular on the set and I have worked with one director who has one and is planning to use his the way you have in mind .
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote