Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-19-2017, 02:00 PM   #1
Mr_SkiZZeX
Mr_SkiZZeX can extract oil from cheeseMr_SkiZZeX can extract oil from cheeseMr_SkiZZeX can extract oil from cheeseMr_SkiZZeX can extract oil from cheeseMr_SkiZZeX can extract oil from cheeseMr_SkiZZeX can extract oil from cheeseMr_SkiZZeX can extract oil from cheeseMr_SkiZZeX can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3 G090G1
Some help appreciated, VoiceView not working

Okay so when I got my Kindle Paperwhite 3 G090G1 (with SO but amazon disabled them after short livechat, same as with my PW2 because SO are targeted at USA and not Poland) first thing i did is check this VoiceView TTS feature, and while it sounded a bit robotic it was understandable and it worked. I don't remember what firmware i was on but it wasn't latest that's for sure.

Que few months (I didn't had too much time to read or play with my kindle) I tried jailbreaking it (I had some experience with JB from my PW2) and everything went fine, but I'll list what i did anyway.
  1. I copied everything from Kindle root dir (by dragging kindle drive icon in windows so even hidden "system" got copied too)
  2. Factory Reset > Register > Airplane mode
  3. Downgraded using factory image
  4. Applied Jailbreak (you are jailbroken appeared) > Applied hotfix
  5. Updated to 5.8.7 > KUAL works so i guess JB survived
  6. Installed few things, Python (but later i uninstalled it in process of troubleshooting my VoiceView problem), some kindlets and that's about it.
  7. Decided to try if VoiceView worked, nothing. The external sound card lights up, i could hear static in headphones and in kindle settings "Accesibility" appears but when i clicked on it the switch next to VoiceView was turned off and when i pressed it it would "turn on" and speed, volume, and tutorial options would "ungrey" themselves but no voice would be heard and when i went to volume and changed it around from 1 to 8 i could hear small modulating noise that changed according to what i set there, and also after 30 seconds or so the VoiceView switch would turn itself off and grey the rest of buttons.
  8. I suspected that it could be to somehow corrupted voice files in root of my kindle. So as I couldn't find those files anywhere on the internet (vox_en_us_salli22i and lang_en_us.dat) I tried reinstalling 5.8.7 update.
    But unfortunately kindle would delete the Update file by itself after unplugging if i put it in root and if i put it in mrpackages it would be destroyed when i tried ;log mrpi or pressed kual button. Same thing happened when i tried the same with factory image.
  9. Que me trying to somehow remove JB so it would let me reinstall factory update, i found this thread and tried reseting my kindle to factory settings (fortunately i'm a backup junkie and copied whole kindle root dir again).
  10. So yep, everything got wiped but it would still delete update packages, i tried creating mrpackages and putting update there and running ;log mrpi and sure enough JB survived.
  11. As Mobileread Kindlet Kit got wiped too Kual wouldn't work but somehow after I restored (copied over) everything that was on kindle before it was reset it started working like it did before reset. Nothing was lost, Screensavers, Kindlets.
My question is, how one can reinstall factory image with that annoying (but surely needed for most people) package destroying mechanic. Can i turn it off somehow? And second, could somebody upload theirs /voice folder contents? Maybe my VoiceView would start working then.

Thank you for reading and sorry if it isn't right place to post this.

EDIT: Oh and I just tried installing rescue packs, python and usbnetworking but it seems that MRPI is just destroying them and restarting kindle. How much did I f**k this up ? Should I stop and just deal with the fact that VoiceView isn't working ?

Last edited by Mr_SkiZZeX; 01-19-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Mr_SkiZZeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 03:07 PM   #2
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_SkiZZeX View Post
And second, could somebody upload theirs /voice folder contents? Maybe my VoiceView would start working then.
The audio files are copyright but can downloaded for free from amazon.

See item #1 on this page

Or use this direct link from amazon servers.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2017, 05:04 PM   #3
Mr_SkiZZeX
Mr_SkiZZeX can extract oil from cheeseMr_SkiZZeX can extract oil from cheeseMr_SkiZZeX can extract oil from cheeseMr_SkiZZeX can extract oil from cheeseMr_SkiZZeX can extract oil from cheeseMr_SkiZZeX can extract oil from cheeseMr_SkiZZeX can extract oil from cheeseMr_SkiZZeX can extract oil from cheese

Okay I downloaded the voice update from your link and it wasn't destroyed when it was in root and installed fine and created /voice folder with those two files but VoiceView still isn't working.

And I still have problems with MRPI destroying packages when trying to install something like Python.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:30 PM   #4
Mr_SkiZZeX

YES, after removing MRPI from extensions folder, kindle stopped destroying updates i put in root so I dirty flashed to 5.7.4 firmware and everything works, VoiceView and jailbreak.
Even MRPI started working again. I installed usb network, python, rescue package and coward rescue package. I'm a bit hesitant to try and install 5.8.7 again because i think it breaks something in VoiceView and MRPI.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:35 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_SkiZZeX View Post
Okay I downloaded the voice update from your link and it wasn't destroyed when it was in root and installed fine and created /voice folder with those two files but VoiceView still isn't working.

And I still have problems with MRPI destroying packages when trying to install something like Python.
Our update_*.bin name format packages are model locked.

It is possible you are using a version not for your model, or a version that was not packaged for your model.

So....
Where did you get your Python package from?
Please include the link along with any description.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2017, 05:45 PM   #6
Mr_SkiZZeX

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
So....
Where did you get your Python package from?
Please include the link along with any description.
Well it's all fine and dandy now but I'll respond anyway.

I was trying to install this, ofc the kindle-python-0.14.N-pw2_kt2_kv_pw3_koa_kt3.zip but it kept failing. It's also worth to mention that it did install fine just after whole jailbreak procedure on 5.8.7 but after running uninstall.bin file from that zip (which uninstalled fine), MRPI refused to process it when I tried to install it again. Same was with everything else i tried to install.

I don't know if you read my last post but I did manage to finally install everything and i used Nijule snapshots which btw also were being destroyed when i tried installing them on 5.8.7 but installed happily on 5.7.4, all at once, without a hitch.