Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-23-2016, 01:06 PM   #1
PhoneCoolie
PhoneCoolie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Calibre installation size

Programs and features lists Calibre as 349MB - my biggest app - is this correct and if so why so big?
PhoneCoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 01:37 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Win X64 says 399MB

Lots of stuff is included. You may not use all the features (now ), but it has support for MANY devices and formats. News Sources...

It also includes fine tuned software libraries for Calibres private use, rather than fight with all the (lame) variations out there.

Note Windows installs some of the same (named) DLLS with every program
(eg MSVCRT80 )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2016, 01:45 PM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
That does seem a bit excessive though! My Calibre portable installation only has the Calibre (i.e. binaries) folder at 175MB. I would have thought the non-Portable version should be a similar size? I wonder if library size is being included in the 349MB quoted?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 02:00 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre takes approx 200MB and most of that is dependencies such as Qt -- the calibre code + images + miscellaneous resources (such a dictionaries) is ~ 50MB

I have no idea where windows gets its numbers from, most likely out of its ass.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 02:08 PM   #5
aleyx
Addict
aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Cybook Diva
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
That does seem a bit excessive though! My Calibre portable installation only has the Calibre (i.e. binaries) folder at 175MB. I would have thought the non-Portable version should be a similar size? I wonder if library size is being included in the 349MB quoted?
Probably not. Here, Programs and Features announces 400MB for Calibre. WinDirStat says that the C:\Program Files part of Calibre weights juuuust under 200MB (mostly the Qt and Python frameworks).

I have no idea where the remaining 200MB are. There's nothing Calibre-related in C:\ProgramData; %appdata%\calibre is only 12MB, and my library is well over the GB mark. I guess it could be %userprofile%\appdata\local\calibre-cache, which is a little less than 200MB. So P&F could calculate an application's footprint by adding the binary folder and any user data. Although renaming calibre-cache didn't change the total (I didn't restart), so, who knows.

N.
aleyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2016, 05:22 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
My number above was also from 'Programs and Features'

Just what are they measuring?? P&F is about installed programs, not RUNNING programs
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:46 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
pacman reports that my calibre installation is 96.95 MB

But that is because it uses system Qt5 etc. (because linux).
OTOH, it also includes three of every python source file (py original, pyc compiled, pyo optimized)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 03:26 AM   #8
PhoneCoolie
PhoneCoolie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
I just upgraded to 2.53 and its now down to 175MB. Still pretty huge though.
PhoneCoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:06 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I just installed calibre 64bit on a new windows 10 machine - control panel reports 199MB, File Menu Tools reports Program Files\Calibre 2 as 198.4.

On my current machine control panel reports 277MB (empty cache, no temporaries, 17.2 MB config, after a restart), FMT is the same - 198.4. This machine is a Win 7->Win10 upgrade and it has had 32bit calibre installed from time to time.

BR

New machine is an alienware alpha, came with an XBox controller. It's 'bout the size of a modest box of chocolates - cute
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote