Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 05-24-2014, 03:44 AM   #31
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I nominate The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes, which won the Man Booker Prize.
I second this.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:14 AM   #32
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
I'll third The Sense of an Ending.
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2014, 11:15 AM   #33
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I'll third White Tiger, it's amusing.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 04:23 PM   #34
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Here is the tally....
Thanks for stepping in. I had started updating the first two posts of this thread before seeing what you had done, so for sake of completeness I'd appreciate it if you continue what you've started.

Karma coming your way!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:53 PM   #35
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Thanks for stepping in. I had started updating the first two posts of this thread before seeing what you had done, so for sake of completeness I'd appreciate it if you continue what you've started.

Karma coming your way!
You are most welcome. Figured someone who is normally involved in the book club should step up and keep it tallied. I will keep track in post #14 for the rest of the nomination period, but may be slightly slow through Monday with the holiday.

Thanks for the K!
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2014, 11:11 PM   #36
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I second The Manual of Detection.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 02:01 PM   #37
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And I third The Manual of Detection. Sounds interesting, even though we just went through a Mystery/Thriller month.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:46 PM   #38
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mims View Post
Dr. Mukherjee said in an interview with Medscape that Ken Burns next project is a six hour production called Cancerwhich will be out in 2015 and is based on The Emperor of all Maladies.
At the end of another interview I heard, the interviewer asked Dr. Mukherjee if there were any takeaways he could give, like the five most important things we could do that would help to avoid cancer.

Mukherjee responded, "Sure: stop smoking, stop smoking, stop smoking, stop smoking, stop smoking."
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 12:46 PM   #39
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Well, I have one more nomination so I'll throw out Saville by David Storey, which won the Booker Prize.

From Goodreads:

Colin Saville grows up in a mining village in South Yorkshire, against the background of war, of an industrialised countryside, of town and coalmine and village.

"If you haven't read David Storey's 1976 winner Saville read it at once, it is the best of all the Bookers." - The Observer

And since any abstracts about the book I could find were all as short as the one I used above, I'll also include the first review from Goodreads:

"This novel epitomizes one of my favorite quotes:

'Literature is the art of discovering something extraordinary about ordinary people, and saying with ordinary words something extraordinary.' - Boris Pasternak

Reading this book really is an extraordinary experience! I found much of it to be very comforting, very homey. I found other parts to be quite disturbing. This novel affected me in ways that I'm still trying to sort out. I suspect this is a story that I'll continue to think about, to try to come to terms with it, for a long time." - John

Amazon Au / Aamzon Ca / Amazon UK / Amazon US / B&N
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:44 PM   #40
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Well, I have one more nomination so I'll throw out Saville by David Storey, which won the Booker Prize....
Looks interesting. Seconded.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:50 AM   #41
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I'll third Saville by David Storey
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:38 AM   #42
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
I'll third Saville by David Storey
And that makes 10 fully nominated selections. I'll be back soon with the poll.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:54 PM   #43
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Your friendly, neighborhood June poll is here.