Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-10-2013, 10:13 PM   #1
auntykatkat
Evangelist
auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook/Nook Color
How Many have a large Audiobook Library?

How Many have a large Audiobook Library? How do you manage it? Which do you use to listen? I have tried itunes and several other media players. I have over 200 GB of audiobooks. I found that I wish to add things relevant to books and not music like series, and subgenres, even tags like when I have finished a book. I haven't found anything I liked. I have been wishing I could make Apps, so I could have what I want.

Or do you just delete them from your library when you are done?

Auntykatkat
auntykatkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:22 PM   #2
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I listen to my audiobooks on a Sansa Clip Zip, and keep track of them on an Excel spreadsheet.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2013, 10:51 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Most of my audiobooks are from Audible. I have backups downloaded to my PC (couldn't guess overall size off hand) and currently use iTunes with them, which is not really up to the task, but use Audible's app and just download what I want to listen to from the cloud. One of these days I'll start the long arduous task of making DRM-free copies of all 690 titles currently in my library (I keeps saying that and really should get started).

I've toyed with setting up a separate Calibre library with "blank" books as a way of sorting & tagging things and then generating a catalog so I have something to browse through, or using something like All My Books but never have.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:17 PM   #4
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
I keep an excel sheet of the ones I've listened to. I download so many free ones that it's not worth my time to catalog all of them.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:32 PM   #5
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
i have an audible library somewhere between 350-450 books, I manage them through my Calibre library, which I also use for all my other book formats. I too keep backup copies on my PC. I listen to them either through my Kindle Fire, Galaxy cell phone or ipod Nano. But mostly the Fire and cell because I have a lot of whispersync for voice titles.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2013, 11:35 PM   #6
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Most of my audiobooks are from Audible. I have backups downloaded to my PC (couldn't guess overall size off hand) and currently use iTunes with them, which is not really up to the task, but use Audible's app and just download what I want to listen to from the cloud. One of these days I'll start the long arduous task of making DRM-free copies of all 690 titles currently in my library (I keeps saying that and really should get started).

I've toyed with setting up a separate Calibre library with "blank" books as a way of sorting & tagging things and then generating a catalog so I have something to browse through, or using something like All My Books but never have.

Prior to Calibre, I used All My Books for mine, though I had to give it up because it required too many custom columns, this also became cumbersome trying to maintain this for my audibles and Calibre for my ebooks. I too have set mine free, but then I set everything free because I like to tag the metadata to meet my needs and not the standards of the masses.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:53 PM   #7
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I have 200+ audiobooks. I keep track of them on my iMac in Delicious Library, and I back the majority of them up in iTunes. I've been working on a project to liberate the files so they are available to listen to on any device. I've got 40+ left to deal with.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:26 AM   #8
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I recently moved all the audiobooks to an external drive when the old computer I'd been using for storage died. My organization and tracking is a bit of a hodgepodge. I try and keep a record of audiobooks in calibre with an audiobook tag (I add an empty book and put the title, author, and genre in the metadata), so I don't end up buying an ebook accidentally, but I manage the audiobooks themselves in iTunes. My husband loads all his audiobooks from iTunes and keeps track of finished books by putting "finished" in one of the fields and sorting that from the rest with a smart playlist. I mostly deal with my audiobooks via the Audible app and keep track of what I've listened to by deleting from my iPod Touch and marking read in calibre.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:57 PM   #9
wawasteele
Addict
wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1st PW, Sansa Clip Zip, Samsungs: GT 7.0 Plus, Note4, GT 4 10.1"
I'm another one that uses Calibre. I want a record of all my books in one place. That way, I won't buy an ebook if I already own the audio or vice versa unless I do it intentionally. I keep records of every library book in Calibre too. The ability to enter data in Calibre without an ebook is wonderful.

For the actual audio files, I have then all in one directory that is kept backed up. I can find a book I want to listen to in Calibre. Then I just go to the directory with all the books and find the folder or zip file within the main directory by name. Very easy and works well for me. YMMV
wawasteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:41 PM   #10
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Are audiobooks mp3's?

If so, you could catalog them by using a tagger such as MP3Tag, and then manage them using any audio program.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Are audiobooks mp3's?
They come in lots of flavors. MP3, M4A, M4B, WMA, AA (AAX), I think I even saw someplace selling them in OGG.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:02 PM   #12
DuaneAA
Connoisseur
DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Kindle Fire HDX
I guess I'm the opposite of the rest of you. Other than a couple of the Harry Potter books, I don't think I've ever listened to an audiobook a second time, so I don't see any point in spending time with indexes or catalogs or the like. These days most of my audiobooks come from audible.com and it tells me if I already own the book, so I don't accidently buy things for a second time.

Duane
DuaneAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:32 PM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneAA View Post
These days most of my audiobooks come from audible.com and it tells me if I already own the book, so I don't accidently buy things for a second time.
Be aware that their site isn't completely reliable for that. Sometimes the same book gets "re-published" under a different ASIN and the site will not show that book as owned.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:55 PM   #14
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I have a fair few audio books (30 or so I guess) and generally store them on my Mobile phone, which has 32 gb of storage. They DO take up a fair chunk of that storage tho.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:54 AM   #15
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Be aware that their site isn't completely reliable for that. Sometimes the same book gets "re-published" under a different ASIN and the site will not show that book as owned.
Heh I have more than a few duplicates because of it. Thankfully so far they've been free ones so I haven't lost out on money.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote