Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-30-2010, 04:29 AM   #1
taksina
taksina began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Unhappy Problem with Kindle 3 sliding switch

Is anyone having a problem with Kindle 3's sliding switch? Mine's sliding back to the left more slowly by the day and sometime extra force is needed to push it all the way to the right before the green light appears. I suppose the whole process should be snappy and involve minimum force, shouldn't it?

Is there any quick fix for this or should I contact Amazon right away? I hate to part with my Kindle. Besides, I live in Bangkok and it's going to cost me money and much time to get it fixed or replaced
taksina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 04:46 AM   #2
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I have the same problem. The power switch takes more than a second to get back to it's original position. I don't need to use any force us off yet, but I can see that it is going in that direction.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2010, 05:31 AM   #3
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I've been getting a bit concerned that it seems stiffer than it was when it first arrived, thought I'm not sure if I'm just being paranoid. Sounds like I might have the same issue that you have.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:06 AM   #4
duckeedoug
Zealot
duckeedoug doesn't litterduckeedoug doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
If you can live with it I would just wait until your warranty has almost expired and then have it and any other issues that may come up resolved. I don't know if the new unit will have another year warranty, but if so that would be great and the way to go (IMO). If you can't live with the issue or beign without your Kindle just see if Amazon will ship you out a new unit with a deposit required for returning the old unit. That way you can transfer all of your content to the new unit before sending your old unit back for a credit. The only down fall is that if you wiat until a year for your warranty to expire you may get a refurbished unit vs. if you have the unit replaced today you are all but guranteed to get a brand spanking new unit fresh off of teh assembly line. I would bet that any exchanges for the next three or so months would net a new unit due to low inventories during the holidays. I think that the K3 is going to be like gaming console shortage a couple of years ago. Everybody is going to want one since they now know what e-ink technology is. Why heck you can hardly find a Kindle in the stores now and it is not even the holidays yet.
duckeedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 07:35 AM   #5
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
The power switch uses a little 'hairpin' spring, so there must be some kind of restriction (dirt, hair, ?) that has gotten under the switch. There is a video clip on this forum that shows a disassembled K3. The slide simply passes over a microswitch to wake the unit or power up -- extremely simple and should be foolproof except for dirt impeding the path.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97266

Last edited by mldavis2; 10-30-2010 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Added link to video
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2010, 07:41 PM   #6
brewjono
Zealot
brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, KPW
Mine is getting slower and harder to slide across as well. When I first noticed it I wondered if it had been like that the entire time but my brother just got one and I was playing with his and saw how easy it should be.
brewjono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 07:49 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
You can always use this link to contact CS.......use the "contact us" button, then the "call me" feature to get an immediate call back.

Kindle Support Page
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:51 PM   #8
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
I also get the problem on some days. It's fine right now.

I am also waiting on the theory that it is better to return latter into the warranty period.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:10 AM   #9
ipromesisposi
ipromesisposi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle III
Yes, same problem, low'slow
ipromesisposi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:40 AM   #10
vega07
Enthusiast
vega07 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2
Same here...but the problem disappeared after a while. A long while.
vega07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:28 AM   #11
Bill Lumburgh
Enthusiast
Bill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipse

Device: K3
The switch on mine is acting up every once in a while as well. And the one on my wife's fairly new Kindle feels stiffer and less wobbly. Oh well, as long as it works...
Bill Lumburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:37 PM   #12
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
yeah, mine too... I think it's just grit getting stuck... so I think it's a "problem" that will continuously come and go.
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:47 PM   #13
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
If you check the video I posted above, you can see that there really isn't anything that can happen other than dirt or physical damage of the switch itself. The little hairpin spring is so 'soft' and looped that it should never wear out or change tension over the life of the Kindle. It is possible to take the Kindle apart and inspect/clean the switch if you watch the video for proper location of the snaps. Don't break the page-turn switches....
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:33 PM   #14
duckeedoug
Zealot
duckeedoug doesn't litterduckeedoug doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
Mldavis2...You are correct that the switch is pretty simple and very little can go wrong. However the tolerance in the manufacturing process may be different as the process is more refined. Perhaps the slider is thicker or the case is thicker, it wouldn't take much of a difference and this difference can also be affected by tempature changes. I would suspect that if it is a tolerance issue the switch would be easier to slide in cooler/colder environements.
duckeedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:04 PM   #15
alsaan
Enthusiast
alsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 2 & Kindle 3
It happened to mine too, but it resolved itself after a few days.
alsaan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sliding switch