Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-16-2012, 02:56 PM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
True Crime

I've just recently found Ann Rule. Are there any other good writers in the same genre?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Joseph Wambaugh - "Lines and Shadows", "Echoes in the Dark", "The Onion Field", "The Blooding"

Truman Capote "In Cold Blood"
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Vincent Bugliosi - Helter Skelter (The Manson Murders) Mr. Bugliosi was the prosecutor of Charles Manson trial. Brutal and bizarre crime.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
David King, Death in the City of Light: The Serial Killer of Nazi-Occupied Paris

Erik Larson, The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic and Madness at the Fair That Changed America

Jeff Guinn, Go Down Together: The True, Untold Story of Bonnie and Clyde

Michael Capuzzo, The Murder Room: The Heirs of Sherlock Holmes Gather to Solve the World's Most Perplexing Cold Cases

P.S. And Larson's Thunderstruck, on the case that seems to have started the genre.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 06-16-2012 at 06:30 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:47 PM   #5
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Two that I read and enjoyed last year are:
  • Kate Summerscale, The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher, about the Road Hill House murder in Victorian England
  • James Neff, The Wrong Man, about the Sam Sheppard case

And don't forget Truman Capote's classic, In Cold Blood, about the murder of the Clutter family in Kansas.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2012, 11:21 AM   #6
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
I've just finished The Onion Field by Joseph Wambaugh and it is one of the best books I've read in any genre.

You might also want to look at Kathryn Casey, who writes very much in the same vein as Ann Rule.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
LucyLu
Bookaholic
LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus, PocketBook Touch
Jack Olsen - his most popular works investigated the life histories of violent career criminals

Some titles:
  • I: The creation of a serial killer
  • The man with candy
  • Doc: The rape of the town of Lovell

John E. Douglas (former special agent with the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), he is one of the first criminal profilers, and criminal psychology author)

Some titles:
  • The cases that haunt us
  • Journey into darkness
LucyLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:04 PM   #8
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
M. William Phelps is popular. Through Crime Rant, he is also putting out ebook versions of some articles, books, etc. (by himself and other true crime authors):
http://www.crimerant.com/

Some true crime writers (and law enforcement professionals) have launched Woman in Crime, and there are links to some author sites:
http://womenincrimeink.blogspot.com/

Check out the True Crime Book Reviews blog for in-depth reviews and recommendations:
http://truecrimebookreviews.com/

I'm not sure if the author is still updating the site. However, the author also launched True Crime Zine:
http://truecrimezine.com/
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:39 PM   #9
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher, about the Road Hill House murder in Victorian England
Read on your recommendation. Most of the way through I thought there was too much attention given to novels that ripped their plots out of Road Hill House murder newspaper stories, and not enough given to the real people involved.

This seemed to me to be a story of a truly bad person transformed into a reasonably good one by, of all things, the Church of England. Author Kate Summerscale lets us see this embarrassing blow against her nasty-Victorian-society theme, while shying away from the implications.

As often happens, the author does wins me over in the last few chapters.

Quote:
And don't forget Truman Capote's classic, In Cold Blood, about the murder of the Clutter family in Kansas.
I guess I should read this one of these years, but isn't that untrue crime? According to Wikipedia, Capote interviewed people without tape recorder or taking notes. Then he produced copious direct quotations, in the book, that the subjects understandably deny having said.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:45 AM   #10
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Read on your recommendation. Most of the way through I thought there was too much attention given to novels that ripped their plots out of Road Hill House murder newspaper stories, and not enough given to the real people involved.
I thought it was fascinating that the case had captured the popular imagination so much that it did become fodder for novels. My original intention was to read the novels, but I ended up reading only one, which was a disappointment (Norah Lofts, Out of the Dark--I already owned it in paperback).

Quote:
I guess I should read this one of these years, but isn't that untrue crime? According to Wikipedia, Capote interviewed people without tape recorder or taking notes. Then he produced copious direct quotations, in the book, that the subjects understandably deny having said.
I didn't know this--but I think I don't really care. It's a powerful and beautifully written book, and it certainly feels true in its essence.

(Why should I believe the subjects' denials? Presumably they didn't have tape recorders either!)
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:25 PM   #11
rooster3888
rooster3888 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, Kindle
Here are a few recommendations for books.. not sure that all these authors have other true crime novels, but some excellent books nonetheless:

- Harold Schechter. I read The Devil's Gentleman, which was very good. He has many other books, though I haven't read any others.
- For the Thrill of It by Simon Baatz, about the infamous Leopold and Loeb murder.
- Satan's Circus by Mike Dash. It probaby doesn't fit the traditional "true crime" genre, but it is pretty close.
- The Killer of Little Shepherds by Douglas Starr.
- The Murder of the Century by Paul Collins

I will say, I tend to enjoy the late 19th / early 20th century as a time period, so most of the above books are from crimes around that era. Sort of real life gothic / victorian crimes.
rooster3888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #12
Santos
Avid Reader
Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Vincent Bugliosi - Helter Skelter (The Manson Murders) Mr. Bugliosi was the prosecutor of Charles Manson trial. Brutal and bizarre crime.
Awesome awesome book. If you never read or know anything about Manson, you should deff check it out. Esp if you are into that sorta thing.
Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:53 AM   #13
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Vincent Bugliosi is also the co-author of And the Sea Will Tell (available as an ebook), which is about 4 people on a deserted tropical island, with only 2 ultimately surviving.

This book consists of 2 parts: the first part (probably written by his co-author) detailing the story is absolutely brilliant. The second part (written by Bugliosi) relating to the trial is a slog to get through, but this is a really good true crime read none the less.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:04 AM   #14
Santos
Avid Reader
Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
Vincent Bugliosi is also the co-author of And the Sea Will Tell (available as an ebook), which is about 4 people on a deserted tropical island, with only 2 ultimately surviving.

This book consists of 2 parts: the first part (probably written by his co-author) detailing the story is absolutely brilliant. The second part (written by Bugliosi) relating to the trial is a slog to get through, but this is a really good true crime read none the less.

Sounds pretty interesting. I might have to check that title out.
Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:22 PM   #15
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyLu View Post
Jack Olsen - his most popular works investigated the life histories of violent career criminals

Some titles:
  • I: The creation of a serial killer
  • The man with candy
  • Doc: The rape of the town of Lovell
About a decade before he died, I was able to befriend Jack Olsen and talk to him about his methods. It all started when I wrote him a note saying I'd just read Son: A Psychopath and His Victims and wanted to know how he was able to capture not only the voice of the psychopath but even those of minor witnesses. Delighted, Jack shot back that voices were incredibly important to him -- that he interviewed everyone involved at least three times, getting them to tell the same stories again and again, until he could hear their voices in his head and write in them even when he wasn't quoting them directly.

After that, we spoke on the phone numerous times and talked about his career.

The year before, I'd studied with a writer named Dennis Cooper, who often mentioned The Man with the Candy, which I'd also read and liked. I asked Olsen whether he was aware that his book had shaped the culture permanently. Many writers had quoted it, but more surprisingly, it had become de rigeur reading for '70s punks. Quotes from Jack's book had appeared on an entire line of T-shirts by Vivienne Westwood in the heyday of Le Sex Shoppe, and one of them was worn frequently by Johnny Lydon during documented performances with the Sex Pistols. In the '90s, Venetian Snares quoted the book again on the album Doll Doll Doll, and my former teacher published Jerk, which sourced Jack's book almost exclusively.

Jack hadn't been aware of any of that, nor did he know that anyone had ever liked the book. All he knew was that his publisher had complained there wasn't enough sex and violence in it, and Jack assumed critics had ignored it for that same reason. "You deserve compensation!" I told him.

"I really do," he said.

One day, he called me up, upset that someone had been slandering him on the internet (keep in mind this was 1998). He was all set to launch a series of counter-attacks, one of which involved law enforcement, when I advised him to ignore the attacks and let other people defend him. I found it endearing that a man who was able to communicate with psychopaths for decades without making any dangerous missteps had nearly left himself open to the echo chamber of flames.

I'd add Charmer to your list -- not only for Jack's rendering of people's voices, but for the evocation of how that decade and place (Mercer Island, which I found as banal in real life as in the book) felt to the various people involved.

Besides which, Charmer is about the sort of SK who tends only to exist in movies: Obsessed with aesthetics, so that he posed his victims and the objects around them as if the crime scene were an art installation. After seeing the idea executed badly in films for many years, it was a pleasure to read someone who got it right at last. I'm surprised there hasn't been an adaptation.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 01-05-2013 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Corrected the syntax in one sentence.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote