Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-14-2012, 12:55 PM   #1
rich.h
rich.h ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rich.h ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rich.h ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rich.h ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rich.h ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rich.h ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rich.h ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rich.h ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rich.h ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rich.h ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rich.h ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablet
10" tablets?

I'm currently using a 7" tablet for my ebooks and perfectly happy with it, although I also use it as a small netbook when out and about with a usb keyboard. So far things have been fine however I am in the market for something with abit more power so I can also use it for work purposes.

With this in mind I am looking at a few 10" models and just wondering if anyone uses one for ebook reading and how they fare? Most of my reading is novels but I do read some magazines so the 10" will be a help there, but are they cumbersome to use when just sitting down and reading a book?
rich.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich.h View Post
I'm currently using a 7" tablet for my ebooks and perfectly happy with it, although I also use it as a small netbook when out and about with a usb keyboard. So far things have been fine however I am in the market for something with abit more power so I can also use it for work purposes.

With this in mind I am looking at a few 10" models and just wondering if anyone uses one for ebook reading and how they fare? Most of my reading is novels but I do read some magazines so the 10" will be a help there, but are they cumbersome to use when just sitting down and reading a book?
I have a Nook HD+ (9"), and I find it too big and cumbersome to read on. For reading novels, I would stop at 7". Larger screens are useful for technical documents, as those are mostly A4 or Letter PDFs, and for productivity apps, as the extra real estate helps here.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2012, 02:58 AM   #3
Mhtsos
Enthusiast
Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Iconia A210,Sony PRS-T1(sold),Cybook Orizon,Kobo Glo,Kindle PW2
I use a 10" android tablet for reading Pdfs-cbzs(magazines,technical books,comics).
I am very satisfied so far.
Far better experience than a 7" or 8" tablet.
Mhtsos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:51 AM   #4
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I think for reading novels on a couch or chair a 10" would be too big. But for reading where you have a desk or table, they would work great for magazines, and reference books. And you could read novels that way too.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:21 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It depends what you're reading. I read on both my Kindle PW and my iPad. I always read novels on the Kindle, but the iPad is unbeatable for technical PDFs, magazines, etc.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2012, 11:40 AM   #6
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich.h View Post
With this in mind I am looking at a few 10" models and just wondering if anyone uses one for ebook reading and how they fare?
Unless you routinely read Stephen King-sized hardcovers, the 1.5lbs a typical 10" tablet weighs will be very nasty. Best off sticking with a 7", or maybe a 4:3 8" tablet (with any luck, the iPad Mini'll convince Android makers to put out more of them - but with decent screens instead of the typical 800x600 or the Mini's 1024x768).
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #7
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I have a 10.1" Android tablet and find that while it's a bit heavy at times, it works for reading because I like the fact I can get more on the screen with a larger typeface. (Your eyes may differ.)

When it comes to magazines and comics, the 10.1" is almost immeasurably superior to the 7" form factor. I read a lot of comics, so for me the 10.1" was a no-brainer.

It depends what you read, but in my experience, the larger tablet provides a better experience for prose fiction than the smaller one does for magazines and comics. Your mileage may vary.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:09 PM   #8
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I would not read novels on my iPad3, no matter the great screen resolution. I had to do it once while on vacation and I couldn't stand the weight and size of it for reading, even though I use it for everything else: browsing, shopping, working, emailing.
But I also do not like to read on LCD screens.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:53 AM   #9
vbkun
Enthusiast
vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Maybe sony
I read a lot comis and magazines on my 10" android (xoom, wich is quite old & heavy compared to new ones). Nowadays reading epubs there too since my e-reader no longer is.
I gotta say the weight factor depends a lot on where you read and how, 'cause in the end I use some sort of support reading on the xoom as much as I did when reading on my e-reader. So the weight, to me, is not a matter (just the lcd screen is). I also do enjoy how my reading flows a lot quicker when i have more text per page. >3

And as far as working... what kind of work do you intend to do? I find most applications that are work-productive in tablets aren't the ones that requires really fast processing and such, so the processing power is not a biggie... i would give higher priority to weight/disk space/confortability.
vbkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:52 AM   #10
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
A quick iOS vs. Android tablet stance for work purposes from my very personal point of view

For work, I use the Noteshelf app exclusively to take notes at work, because I need to copy images into my notes, and keep separate shelves and notepads. I also need the ability to highlight, type, change font colors, save separate pages or whole notepads as PDFs and images, or to the cloud. I also need for the write field to be large, so that I can have smaller text on the page.

I own all handwriting apps there are in the App store for the iPad, but, sadly, there aren't yet any really good ones for my Nexus 7, or else I would use it much more often. I'd love to have Noteshelf on my Nexus and be able to keep them both in synch.
I do that because I hate using paper, and it is so much easier for me to find old notes than going through a drawer of paper. Also, no paper cuts!
Also, now, I can log into my work virtual desktop from my tablets, so I can leave my laptop behind when I go into meetings. Since then Nexus 7 does not have 3 or 4 G, it is again my iPad that I pick for that.

We started using Prezi at work, and their iPad app is getting better and better. That one, again, is iOS only. There are other apps I use when needed, like when I need to create wireframes on the fly, but Noteshelf and Prezi are my most often used tools for work.

I like Android a lot, and find it a much mote liekable company than Apple, but in many cases, e.g. the handwriting ones, it is obvious that iOS apps are more polished and more numerous. Depending on what it is you do on your tablet, you may find this to be true or the reverse.

Last edited by xendula; 12-22-2012 at 03:54 AM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote