Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-09-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
sionix
sionix began at the beginning.

Device: sony
My sony 505 died :( What to replace it with?

I loved my 505, last time my reader died I just bought another one new in box off of ebay. Is there a newer reader that is similar to the 505? Must be able to take sd cards..

I heard the T2 is comparable, suggestions?
sionix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you like Sony devices then sure, the T2 is a good buy, unless you want one of the newer devices with front lighting, of course. Note that the T2 won't read the old Sony "LRF" eBook format, so if you have any LRF books you'll need to convert them to ePub format.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
sionix

Thanks, was looking at the T2 and I definitely prefer sony, wasn't sure how it compared. I could buy another new 505 again for about $100 but am thinking its time to get something newer, The 505 is not a new device and even new, am worried the battery just wont hold up. I use calibre so format changing won't be a issue for me but most of my books are epub anyway. My daughter has a nook but I just don't care for it.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #4
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Just be aware that some people who have upgraded from older Sony's don't like the PRS T1 & T2, they are a lot lighter and use plastic for the casing rather than the more sturdy metal casing you'll be used to. For that reason there are some who think the 350/650/950 were the last 'better' quality Sony ereaders.

However, the PRS T2 will have a better screen and be faster. Plus there should be a big improvement in the battery life.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:03 PM   #5
sionix

Got my t2 in the mail last night and yep its a lot lighter but I am pretty happy with the end result. Thank you for the help
Advert
Old 12-17-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
fafaforza
Zealot
fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Aura ONE
Cool. I probably would have recommended the 650 as a direct replacement. Same metal case and cover.

This past Sunday afternoon, i left my 650 on the roof of my car while I reshuffled stuff, and obviously I had to drive away with it still there. Went to the store today and got the Kindle Paperwhite. The screen seemed a lot better, even if it wasn't as white as the T2. I'll have to see how this Amazon experience works out. Been with Sony wince my 505.
fafaforza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #7
Fif23
Connoisseur
Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
fafa, would you say the screen on a T2 is much much whiter in real life than a 650 ?
Worth an upgrade ?

I like how my 650 reflows PDF.... But the whole experience is better on a T2 im going to order one right now !!
Fif23 is offline   Reply With Quote