Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #31
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
If you want dark, I recommend Tamara Siler Jones. All her books are Dark Fantasy, but Threads of Malice is the only book on my " Really Good but gives me nightmares" list.
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:52 PM   #32
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist
hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo,kindle,supernova, playbook
vachss is okay, ive read most of his books... problem for me is every time he starts in about burke's 'family' he goes way overboard... like sister sledge overboard.
hard-boiled pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2012, 09:51 PM   #33
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard-boiled pat View Post
vachss is okay, ive read most of his books... problem for me is every time he starts in about burke's 'family' he goes way overboard... like sister sledge overboard.
I agree, although I didn't notice so much in the first book or so, it is a bit icky but still worth reading IMO.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:58 PM   #34
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Since you like sci-fi and fantasy I'll make a couple of recommendations.

C.S. Friedman's Coldfire trilogy (when is it OK for you to use evil to fight evil? And how does that affect you? )

and C.S. Friedman's Magister trilogy (about sorcerers that user others' lives to power their magic and immortality)

Last year I read Karen Miller's Blight of Mages (about ignoring the rules in the cause of the greater good...doesn't end well). It's a prequel to a series but I'm not familiar with the series (might read it later).
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:02 PM   #35
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
I found Stephen Donaldson's "The Gap" SF-series to be really disturbing (dancer in an alien bar cuts her breasts off as entertainment, uugh) as well as "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever" which is a Fantasy classic.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2012, 12:16 PM   #36
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I found David Dalglish's Half-Orc series really good. And I'll second The Lies of Locke Lamora - loved that book! If you're looking for some horror, Richard Laymon goes pretty dark much of the time. One of my favorites of his is Island.
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:30 PM   #37
ekster
Currently without a title
ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Thanks again. So many books to read... this will be one busy winter!
ekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:55 PM   #38
Kindoll
Enthusiast
Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekster View Post
Thanks again. So many books to read... this will be one busy winter!
I've picked up some good ideas from this thread too!

Winter is my favourite time to read, curled up with a blanket and a good book, maybe a hot chocolate or something a bit stronger
Kindoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:08 AM   #39
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Another thumbs up for John Connolly and the Charlie Parker books.
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:53 PM   #40
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Orson Scott Card "Enders Game" is one author my wife and I approach with caution as you feel somewhat depressed after reading them.

But you should read at least "Enders Game".
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:28 PM   #41
ekster
Currently without a title
ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDog View Post
Orson Scott Card "Enders Game" is one author my wife and I approach with caution as you feel somewhat depressed after reading them.

But you should read at least "Enders Game".
Thanks, I've already read through it twice. As well as the rest of the series (except Ender's Shadow, but that's already on my to read list.)
ekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:37 AM   #42
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelArnold View Post
I found David Dalglish's Half-Orc series really good. And I'll second The Lies of Locke Lamora - loved that book! If you're looking for some horror, Richard Laymon goes pretty dark much of the time. One of my favorites of his is Island.
I'll second David Dalglish, and add that most of his books are pretty dark. Other than Jerico the paladin, none of his characters are really outright good guys; they definitely hover around Batman levels of morality (at best) for the most part. Dalglish definitely hates/loves his characters, he punishes the everloving hell out of them lol.

The Half Orcs series is probably his darkest series, the books are absolutely apocalyptic and most would scratch their heads at how on Earth these guys could possibly be protagonists.

Last edited by xg4bx; 10-19-2012 at 01:41 AM.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:53 AM   #43
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I like Andrew Vachss, F. Paul Wilson, Dean Koontz, Charlie Huston, Richard Kadrey, Walter Mosley for sort of darker authors.
I second Andrew Vachss. Good stuff.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:38 PM   #44
BenBanned
Groupie
BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paper
Ill try to keep the list to widely accpeted classics:

Notes from the Underground by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

The Island of Doctor Moreau by H. G. Wells

I dont need to mention Poe and Lovecraft, right?

The Great God Pan by Arthur Machen

Dracula by Bram Stoker

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson

Just a few freebies
BenBanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:59 PM   #45
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Soul Catcher by Frank Herbert. The story of a Native American who kidnaps a young white boy and their journey together. Dark and heart-wrenching.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote