Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you judge a book by its cover?
Yes, I do! 73 66.97%
No, never! 12 11.01%
Difficult to say 11 10.09%
I like chocolate muffins! 13 11.93%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-01-2012, 05:44 AM   #1
Pax
Zealot
Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3, Sony PRS 650
Do you judge a book by its cover?

You all know the saying: "Don't judge a book by its cover!"
What is your opinion about that?
Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:08 AM   #2
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
judge is an interesting word. A cover can make me pick up and check out a book I might not otherwise. But reading the first few pages is what makes me pay or not
Hey I am a girl I like sparkkley things well gorey scarey things more

applesaice
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2012, 06:55 AM   #3
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I voted yes, but that isn't 100% accurate. A cover that suggests, for example, that the thrust of a novel is christian romance or bodice ripping romance means that I will not look further at the book. A poorly executed cover makes me cautious about how well-written a book may be -- if the cover is poor, the book may follow suit.

The cover gives me a clue as to content (does it interest me or not) and quality of content. Depending on how bad the cover is or the genre it suggests, I may not look further at the book.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:05 AM   #4
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
On some level, yes I do make judgments about a book. Some covers tell a lot about the genre, and there are a few kinds that are obvious by the cover (sex scenes, a gun pointed at the viewer of the cover, vampires, etc) that will either draw the target audience, or not phase a disinterested customer.

I tend to be more drawn to ambiguous covers where I check out the blurb and then look through a chapter or two.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:38 AM   #5
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
like spindlegirl, I think the cover adds information about the book. If the publisher is on top of things, the cover is also used as branding for the author; all the covers have specific and unique elements common to the author or to a series.

Last edited by Rob Lister; 05-01-2012 at 07:41 AM.
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2012, 07:55 AM   #6
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
Absolutely. In one sense anyway. Its the first thing a potential buyer sees, either in the bookstore or on your fave e-book site.

Like what was said ^ me, its an immediate insight into the genre of the book and sometimes the potential quality. I'm far more likely to browse a book's contents if its in a genre I'm interested in and almost certain not to if its in a genre that I'm not. But buying a book based on its cover alone is a very different thing, and something that I suspect very few people do.
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:57 AM   #7
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
If I get recommended a book , then no.
But if a cover is REALLY cheap and nasty, then yeah it affects my decision.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:59 AM   #8
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce View Post
judge is an interesting word. A cover can make me pick up and check out a book I might not otherwise. But reading the first few pages is what makes me pay or not
Hey I am a girl I like sparkkley things well gorey scarey things more

applesaice
This except the part about the girl and things.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:22 AM   #9
bookfunloving
bookfunloving began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
sometimes!
bookfunloving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:26 AM   #10
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Of course you judge books by their covers. How else are you to know you're going to buy it? (unless, of course, it's by an author you're already familiar with)
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #11
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Of course you judge books by their covers. How else are you to know you're going to buy it? (unless, of course, it's by an author you're already familiar with)
There's lots of ways to judge a book apart from by the cover.

I've got some books for free as the first book in a series. They hope that you will buy the book once you've read the first book.

Many book selling sites let you read previews of the book. Usually of the first chapter or 10 pages or whatever.

Recommendations by friends, associates etc who have a similar interest.

If you're looking at physical books (I don't see any reason why this thread is restricted to ebooks) just going to a bookstore and browsing the shelves, flipping through the books.

That's just a few methods...... I'm sure there's others than just deciding on a book by its cover..
Old 05-01-2012, 10:37 AM   #12
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
It's tough. Some books will draw me in with a clever cover. Other books, I've passed on because the cover looked silly. If it's by an author I really enjoy, though, I would probably pick it up even if it had brightly colored cherubs riding unicorns past Jupiter, or something equally silly.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:44 AM   #13
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I admittedly do, even though I know I've passed over some good books from this habit.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:45 AM   #14
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I never buy a book because of a cover, but it plays a part in my decision. There are so many books to choose from, I need something to winnow down the choices. The cover is one factor. If the cover looks like something slapped together, it makes me think that the book may be sloppily written. A great cover, on the other hand won't get me to buy, but might get me to take a closer look.

The old saying would be better expressed as "Don't judge a book solely by its cover."
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:46 AM   #15
danskmacabre
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
even if it had brightly colored cherubs riding unicorns past Jupiter, or something equally silly.
Oooh my 9 year old daughter would LOVE a book with a cover like that!