Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-31-2011, 02:49 PM   #1
satsuki_yatoshi
satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: kobo touch
Micro sd card bug....

Hello.
I own a kobo touch and a lexar 16go sd card.

If i put my books (mainly cbz) on the internal memory of the kobo i have no bug, it's working realy great.

But as soon as i put the same book file in the sd card, i can't read more than 3 or 4 page, then it return itself to main menu and the sd card file don't show up.
I need ot eject and plug in the sd card again to get my files again.

I searched in the form so:
I tried to format it with the SDformater tool.
I tried to copy form windows explorer.
I tired with calibre.
I tried other sd card (another 16go and a 4go noname witch works great in my phone for about 1 year for music listening)

>I could found any solution

Do you have any idea ?
As kobo is linux based, will an etx2 or ext3 formated sd card would works better (i don't have any linux installed for test but i could try) ?

Thanks a lot
satsuki_yatoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:53 AM   #2
satsuki_yatoshi
satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.satsuki_yatoshi understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

I downgrade my kobo touch to the 1.9.12 firmware and it seems thre's no but anymore this my sd cards.
So it's a firmware issue
Advert
Old 01-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
satsuki_yatoshi

with more testing it's bugging with the 1.9.12 too but it's afer a lot of pages, but the sd card is also harder to restore in the kobo view ....
Old 01-13-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
satsuki_yatoshi

ok i have done a lot of test with my sd card and found a way to get them works without any bug.
you just need to format it in ext4 linux format, put your files on it, turn of your kobo, put the card in your kobo, then turn on your kobo....
tested with my 2 sd card and read about 15 cbz file without any card bug.

as ext4 isn't used by windows you need to use linux to use it, calibre linux version works well, i use it for 4 day in a virtualbox with ubuntu on my windows 7.

it's not the simpliest way to do it bug i have no more bug with my sd car in 1.9.16 ^^
Old 01-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #5
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
hmm that's very interesting. It's probably because the KT OS is actually linux.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #6
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Touch & Glo, Sony PRS-T1
Interesting indeed! If the bug is related to the formatting of the card, it may be very significant... Under a Windows OS igher capacity cards (above 4GB) must be formated FAT32 or NTFS, while under that limit FAT can be used, so could that be that the cards that do not exhibit the problem are FAT while the ones that do would be FAT32 or NTFS (please note that it could be one or the other, but not necessarily both)?

Worth checking for sure. One quick test might be to try and format a problematic card with FAT (which would limit the partition to no more than 4GB) and see if this changes the behaviour... This can be done using the free version of EASEUS partition manager, by first deleting the existing partition and creating a new one using FAT.

François
frankieGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:41 PM   #7
satsuki_yatoshi

tested already with a single 2go fat partition on my 16go card, it stills bug.
i finaly used etx4 because no fat combination worked for my cards.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:36 PM   #8
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Apparently the reason the card fails is because when the KT tries to read the card, the length of time it takes SOMTIMES exceeds the timeout limit (So I have read elsewhere).
This maybe because since the KT OS is Linux and it's trying to read Windows partitions, it has to perhaps interpret the data into a format that the KT OS can read.

I have linux installed on one of my PCs. It CAN read windows partitions, but it's not as direct as when it's reads a native Linux partition. Perhaps on the larger cards after a while the seek time to read the windows partition exceeds the timeout limit and then the default way the KT deals with that is it drops back to the main menu.

I will try this out tomorrow when I get a chance and format my 8GB card to a Linux format (ext4) and see if the problem goes away.

I reckon the 1.9.16 firmware has slowed down the seek/read time on the SD card for some reason and it causes the timeout more frequently. So on the upside, it may well be fixable with another firmware update perhaps.

Thanks satsuki_yatoshi I think you may have really hit the nail on the head.
It;s not really a great solution for most people, but hopefully one of the Kobo Devs reads this thread and uses that information to aid on fixing the problem.

Last edited by danskmacabre; 01-13-2012 at 06:39 PM.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote