Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-09-2011, 09:17 PM   #1
mbharleychick
mbharleychick began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
DX frozen

I've had my DX since Christmas of 2009; no more warranty. Have used Calibre successfully for over a year. Last night I was adding @48 new books to my DX and it sat all night running. I closed Calibre before it finished and I got an error message. I restarted the process, loading max of 10 at a time and it worked fine. After it finished indexing, I pushed next page and it froze up on me. I have attempted a reboot by holding the power switch for 30 seconds about 8 times. Contacted Amazon and they said there was nothing else they could do. Now, my computer won't even recognize the Kindle.
Is there anything at all I can do?
I love the DX and it was a Christmas gift.

Maria
mbharleychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:53 AM   #2
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Well, a reboot seems to be first choice. So it does not do anything when you hold the power switch long enough? Please try to even exceed those 30 seconds.

If that wouldn't work, you could either let it run out of power on its own (which will take days, weeks, months?) or open it and press the hardware reset button (see here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72779) or remove the battery for a short moment (I don't know if that would be easy to do...).
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2011, 06:36 AM   #3
mbharleychick

Tried that

I have tried the reboot dozens of times, holding it longer than necessary also. Tried the hard reset last night several times. Amazon said there is no way to remove the battery and we can't figure out how to get the back off.

It did start to reboot, would get the boy under the tree screen with a status bar. The status bar stops about an 1/8 of the way into it and then stops. Now it won't even reboot; I think I killed it.

Last edited by mbharleychick; 11-10-2011 at 06:38 AM. Reason: add data
Old 11-10-2011, 09:10 PM   #4
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Last resort is to remove and replace the battery and see if it will hard reset!

Found this video that may help. The reason after the small cover and screws were removed, that they used the tool to pry at those three (4) places is the cover needs too move slightly away from the newly opened end, it is held in by hooks along the edge of the larger cover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SoQZ0kD5Zk
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:12 PM   #5
mbharleychick

Thanks, I'll have to try that and see if it works. Can't hurt at this point.

Maria
Advert