Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-24-2009, 10:51 AM   #1
ajosh21
ajosh21 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Unhappy Reader Library (Mac) Sync Issues

I just bought my PRS-300 last week and added all my books without any trouble. I took it on my travels and it was fantastic.

When I got back, I wanted to add some new files/books but it would not sync. The status icon would stall out.

The only way I could get it to work was to remove the books from my device and then sync. Which means, I lost all my bookmarks.

Has anyone else run into this problem? Is there a solution?

I'm running Snow Leopard and Reader Library 3.1.00.12070.
I'm still debating if this is an issue I can live with.

Thanks for any help
-Aj
ajosh21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:32 PM   #2
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
First of all I am on PC and cannot help you. Second I want to bump your question so perhaps you can get help from a Mac user.

Last, I would say that I did not install the Sony software on my computer. It is just so simple to drag and drop book onto the 300 that I do not see the need to over complicate things with a DRM laden, billions of options and corporate designed piece of bloated software. If you really need software to put books on your Sony, then Calbre is a good free alternative solution. Calbre is also great for converting ebooks. Sorry if Calbre is not available for the Mac, I have not checked.

That being said, if you want to buy books from the Sony store (I don't) then I guess it is a good option. But there are many other options available. I do hope a Mac user chimes in soon to help you

Last edited by Bremen Cole; 12-24-2009 at 11:34 PM.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:59 PM   #3
perversity
Enthusiast
perversity began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
With my 600, I've noticed that sync works if I select the individual "playlists" but fails when I select the Libraray, or the Books playlists. Funny thing is even when I individually select each playlist, including Pictures, Audio, Books... all at the same time and sync, it will work fine. If I then try to sync the Library after all the files have already been transferred to my Reader, the sync will still fail.
perversity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:16 PM   #4
ajosh21

Thanks for the feedback. When I called Sony Support, they told me to just uncheck and recheck the boxes.

I'm going to return this and maybe try out the 600.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:44 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
To be honest, don't use auto-sync. It just doesn't work well. And it's better to handle the content yourself. It won't make a different a 600 vs a 300. Auto-sync is part of Reader Library and it's not a good feature to use.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:44 PM   #6
JReader
JReader began at the beginning.

Device: PRS700
Sync Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajosh21 View Post
I just bought my PRS-300 last week and added all my books without any trouble. I took it on my travels and it was fantastic.

When I got back, I wanted to add some new files/books but it would not sync. The status icon would stall out.

The only way I could get it to work was to remove the books from my device and then sync. Which means, I lost all my bookmarks.

Has anyone else run into this problem? Is there a solution?

I'm running Snow Leopard and Reader Library 3.1.00.12070.
I'm still debating if this is an issue I can live with.

Thanks for any help
-Aj
Had the same issue with the sync, i figure out that the reader library sync what you have on your library and copy everything to your reader, and all bookmarks and highlights are lost after sync, i recommend you to disable sync and use drag and drop, it works fine for me , i have my highlits and notes on the reader library and im able to import them to a RTF file
JReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:43 PM   #7
perversity
Enthusiast
perversity began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
huh, I made two playlists that I sync to my reader at least once per week without issue. 1 for unread books and 1 for unread newpapers
perversity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:19 AM   #8
ajosh21

How do you turn off auto-sync? I tried finding that but couldn't. I'm running Reader Library on Mac, in case that makes a difference.

Would it be better to just use a different program like Calibre to sync?
Old 01-01-2010, 10:26 AM   #9
NightGeometry
Zealot
NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kindle 3G, Kindle DX
Not a huge amount of help, but I only use Calibre on my Mac's. I have a VM with Windows on it, which I use the Sony software on, but I use it rarely - it is only there from when I had a PRS-500.

The Sony software is horrible, if you ask me.
NightGeometry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:00 PM   #10
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajosh21 View Post
How do you turn off auto-sync? I tried finding that but couldn't. I'm running Reader Library on Mac, in case that makes a difference.

Would it be better to just use a different program like Calibre to sync?
I'm not a Mac user but I'm going to guess it's the same way as on PC. When the reader is attached to your computer click on the Sync button then uncheck the various things you have checked off. Make sure none are checked and that's it.

When you have anything checked off it will try to sync to that when the unit is connected. When nothing is checked off it's not going to try to sync. HTH

I just got a reader too and find that the sync is a bit wonky. Sony support said to turn off the auto-sync and that's how explained how to. He told me drag and drop was the best but I'm stubborn. Like the sync because then it would save my bookmarks back and forth. LOL
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
prs 300, reader software, snow leopard, sync, trouble