Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 05-27-2014, 07:21 AM   #1
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
2015 Categories Discussion

It's time to start thinking about which categories we'd like for 2015. If there are no objections, we'll be starting the selection process around the 1st of July.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 05-27-2014 at 08:56 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:06 AM   #2
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post

ALSO: It's time to start thinking about which categories we'd like for 2015. If there are no objections, we'll be starting the selection process around the 1st of July.
I object.

I found the last process to tedious. I suggest a poll first: 1) use the current categories, 2) use the previous categories, 3) go through a full selection process.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:56 PM   #3
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I object.

I found the last process to tedious. I suggest a poll first: 1) use the current categories, 2) use the previous categories, 3) go through a full selection process.
I found it tedious, also, which is why I waited 2 years to try it again. Then some people complained because I kept the same categories for 2014 that we had for 2013.

John — here's an idea: how about you take the lead in deciding what the 2015 categories will be? You can poll or whatever else you want to do.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:35 PM   #4
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
What if we made a list of all possible categories, then eliminate those categories that we've had in the last year, and then vote on the rest? Maybe if we had 24 or 36 total categories we could just rotate through them every 2-3 years?
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:58 PM   #5
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I found it tedious, also, which is why I waited 2 years to try it again. Then some people complained because I kept the same categories for 2014 that we had for 2013.
I didn't see it that way. I thought "we" all* agreed.

Quote:
John — here's an idea: how about you take the lead in deciding what the 2015 categories will be? You can poll or whatever else you want to do.
Personally, I would pick the last set of categories. But as I don't think it would be very democratic, I Won't dictate.

I say we do nothing right now, if there is enough of a consenses that we should do something, we do it in september, when everyone is back from summer break.

At a minimum, a little more discusion seems necessary.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:38 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:

I see things have changed quite a bit since I passed the Grand PooBah hat!
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:32 PM   #7
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
I didn't see it that way. I thought "we" all* agreed.
At a minimum, a little more discussion seems necessary.
We ended the category nomination/voting periods in 2012 with a "we will take a break and then decide". When it was brought up in January this year WT Sharpe suggested waiting until August/September then decide whether or not we keep these categories or replace some. That was the end of the discussion.

As something to chew on in the mean time, I would like a poll with the current categories listed and have everyone vote on their three favorite categories and replace the bottom 2-4 with new selections. That should help us keep the ones we like and reduce the number of new categories we need to come up with. Sort of a compromise between full category selections and status quo.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:46 PM   #8
Mims
Addict
Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, iPads,IPhone,Aura H2O,PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
We ended the category nomination/voting periods in 2012 with a "we will take a break and then decide". ....

As something to chew on in the mean time, I would like a poll with the current categories listed and have everyone vote on their three favorite categories and replace the bottom 2-4 with new selections. That should help us keep the ones we like and reduce the number of new categories we need to come up with. Sort of a compromise between full category selections and status quo.
I like this idea. The 2012 category nomination process was, IMHO, an ugly and painfully long event that I hope will not be repeated. It shouldn't take months to decide on a list of 12 categories.

I think interest in the club has decreased due to what some people have perceived as this club becoming Literary Club Lite. New categories would hopefully spark new interest.

Can this discussion be moved to its own thread so everybody will see it and can participate.
Mims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:04 PM   #9
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mims View Post
...Can this discussion be moved to its own thread so everybody will see it and can participate.
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:09 PM   #10
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Perhaps alternating between fiction and non fiction and a different genre of fiction each time? For example:
* Jan-Fiction
* Feb-Non Fiction
etc.
And something like:
*Jan-Mystery
*March-Sci Fi
*May-Romance
etc. for the fiction months. And having it be open to any topic under non-fiction on those months that are non-fiction months.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:11 PM   #11
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Perhaps alternating between fiction and non fiction and a different genre of fiction each time? For example:
* Jan-Fiction
* Feb-Non Fiction
etc.
And something like:
*Jan-Mystery
*March-Sci Fi
*May-Romance
etc. for the fiction months. And having it be open to any topic under non-fiction on those months that are non-fiction months.
We non-fiction fans would love that, but I'm personally worried that there's enough interest to sustain even the one non-fiction month we have!
Old 05-27-2014, 09:12 PM   #12
Mims
Addict
Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, iPads,IPhone,Aura H2O,PW3
Moderators are such agreeable people.
Mims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:17 PM   #13
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
...Personally, I would pick the last set of categories. But as I don't think it would be very democratic, I Won't dictate....
I realize you wouldn't dictate, which is why I asked if you would like to spearhead this undertaking. Let me know if you're interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
...As something to chew on in the mean time, I would like a poll with the current categories listed and have everyone vote on their three favorite categories and replace the bottom 2-4 with new selections. That should help us keep the ones we like and reduce the number of new categories we need to come up with. Sort of a compromise between full category selections and status quo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mims View Post
I like this idea....
As do I.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:18 PM   #14
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

And so everyone's on the same page, here are the 2013/2014 Categories:

January — Second Chance (no nominations, a vote of all the runners-up nominations from the last 11 months)
February — Romance
March — Travel/Adventure
April — Classics
May — Mystery/Thriller
June — Award Winners
July — Non-Fiction
August — Science Fiction
September — Banned or Challenged Books
October — Patricia Clark Memorial Library (MobileRead Library)
November — Foreign (Books originally written in a language other than English)
December — Short Stories
Old 05-27-2014, 09:19 PM   #15
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I see things have changed quite a bit since I passed the Grand PooBah hat!