Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

View Poll Results: How long have you been using one device?
Not even a year 5 23.81%
1-2 years 7 33.33%
3-4 years 8 38.10%
More then 4 years 1 4.76%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-24-2011, 10:17 AM   #1
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle III, Kobo Glo, Samsung Galaxy SIII
Life expectancy Gen 3?

After about 4 years the screen of my Gen 3 is broken. As this is the second Gen3 (I recieved one from a warranty claim about three years ago) I am apt to say the life expectancy is not that long. I don't know how many people there are that have been using their devices that thorough maybe I am making a prejudiced call......

Well, if you count all the books I've been reading I expect it is not a bad term.

As I am reading a very exciting book series at the moment I ordered a Kindle III from Amazon today.

So I will be leaving this part of the forum to go to the Kindle part.
It makes me wonder about the life expectancy in general. How long do these things last?

About the poll: Please vote for the use of ONE device (No replacements in warranty)

Last edited by BarnOwl; 08-24-2011 at 10:20 AM.
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:47 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I've used my Gen3 for 3.5 years, then I got a 2nd-hand Orizon and passed the Gen3 to a relative. It's still working fine, but I don't know how much longer it will last, with him falling asleep with the Gen3 on the belly...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
My gen3 did broke, but that was because it took some serious hit.

Still in perfect order now
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
In comparison to your's my Gen3 is still a kid, only two and a half years old (bought in April 2009). It still works fine!

Voted 1-2 years although it's not 100 per cent right.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:55 AM   #5
mitja_i
Enthusiast
mitja_i began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Mine broke because under the pillow I leaned on with my elbow there was my Gen3. I replaced the screen. The other one fell from my hands. I replaced the screen. If it broke today I would buy another reader (not Gen3).
mitja_i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:39 PM   #6
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle III, Kobo Glo, Samsung Galaxy SIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitja_i View Post
Mine broke because under the pillow I leaned on with my elbow there was my Gen3. I replaced the screen. The other one fell from my hands. I replaced the screen. If it broke today I would buy another reader (not Gen3).
How did you replace the screen and where did you get it? I understand these are pretty expensive.
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:27 PM   #7
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
The screen cracked after 2 years, my fault, but there were already CRC errors, trapping the device in a boot loop.
I really liked it.
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:42 PM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
eInk screen fragility is why I wouldn't buy anything except a Kindle at the moment. The screens are as fragile as anyone else's (although perhaps better protected by the larger size of the kindle), but their replacement policy is second to none.

Both my Gen3s died, one twice. I haven't bothered to get the screens replaced, since the replacement cost is almost as much as a new Kindle.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:57 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I must have had a dozen, if not more, eInk devices over the years. I still have, I think, 5 at present. I've never broken a screen. I think that if you look after them carefully, and always use a sturdy case, there's no reason to expect that you will break them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:45 AM   #10
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Truly.

They might be more fragile than LCD, but not *that* fragile. After my screen broke, i stopped putting the reader in my bag front pocket, and everything when fine. The case still show a mark from the impact that broke the screen. Save for that, i take no more care of my reader that my other devices.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote