Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-15-2011, 09:20 PM   #1
jhoffman
jhoffman began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Kobo Button Problem

I have a wireless Kobo reader that I purchased in November. I have been very happy with it and use it all the time.

Recently, I noticed that the rubber cover on the 5-way button has separated from the plastic case. I am disappointed to see this happen after only 7 months. I have tried to contact support by filling in their form, but can't seem to get a response.

Has anyone else had this problem with the button? Has anyone had difficulties with support? Does anyone have a contact number for customer service? I have not been able to find one.

I am thinking of purchasing a reader for my daughter. However, I am now wondering whether the Kobo is the way to go or perhaps there are better quality products out there.
jhoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:55 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Kobo Help Line, United States and Canada:
1-866-204-4714
(8am - 12am EST)

Fairly common problem with Wifi and Original (do a search). Online help seems a little overwhelmed currently since the release of the new Kobo Touch. Phone help is fairly painless and generally very quick compared to any other company I've had to call (and I loath calling most of them).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:59 PM   #3
jhoffman
jhoffman began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Any thanks. I will gie that a try!
jhoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:11 AM   #4
blastyrant
blastyrant has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.blastyrant has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.blastyrant has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: KOBO WIFI
Hello,
I am truly sorry to bump a month old thread. I have been trying to find more information on this alleged "fairly common problem" and have not been able to find any. It seems the only issue with the 5-way button is the response time or unregistered clicks.

Can someone please link me to more information on the 5-way button becoming separated over time?

Thank you very much!
blastyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:58 AM   #5
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Look here.

My WiFi model is about 9 months old and it has this problem. I don't think it's serious enough for me to do anything about it, especially when a replacement unit would likely result in a repeat of the fault eventually.

I don't anticipate any trouble with the unit as a result of this problem. The button still works fine.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:49 PM   #6
ReneAZ
eBookaholic
ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kindle Fire
I also just noticed the same thing happening to my Kobo.
The right side (most used... has separated from the unit.
I guess I have to just live with it, since I bought it at a Borders closing sale.

Anyone tried using super glue? I'm afraid the glue will get under the button and glue up the works...

I've only had the reader for about 4 months, which is pretty disappointing. I do think the button is poorly designed and a problem waiting to happen.
I like Kobo otherwise. Except for the times it just won't shut down properly, and the button issue, it has worked fine and has saved me a lot of $$$$ by borrowing library books (paid for itself in this regard, but even so....).

I think when Kindle finally offers library borrowing, I will be switching to it exclusively.
ReneAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:13 PM   #7
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I would call Kobo, the online support is extremely slow.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:44 PM   #8
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
My Wife's Kobo did that after about 8 months. I contacted customer support via the online form. They actually got back to me pretty quickly. They then sent me a box & shipping label. I sent it off. Now she's just waiting to get her new Kobo back.

So far customer support has been pretty swift when we've had problems with our Kobos.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
button, kobo ereader, kobo quality, problem, support